Qatar's mandatory apps for World Cup attendees are security nightmare - experts

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
As the World Cup is set to kick off next week and 1,5 million fans are expected to arrive in Qatar, security experts are sending a warning about the mandatory apps issued by the Qatari government.
By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
Published: NOVEMBER 13, 2022

The Qatar government's mandatory apps for those attending Soccer World Cup are a data security and privacy nightmare, security experts have warned. Fans who will arrive to Qatar for the World Cup, will have to download two apps - Ehteraz, an app aimed to track COVID-19, and Hayya, which will be used to enter games, as well as to gain free access to Qatar's public transportation for ticket holders.

The Ehteraz contact tracking app was criticized by security experts, as it allows remote access to users' pictures and videos, as well as make unprompted phone calls, according to The Register. Moreover, the COVID-19 tracking app requires the location services to be constantly on and gives the app the ability to read and write to the file system.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/business-and-innovation/article-722221

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

The Ehteraz contact tracking app was criticized by security experts, as it allows remote access to users' pictures and videos, as well as make unprompted phone calls, according to The Register. Moreover, the COVID-19 tracking app requires the location services to be constantly on and gives the app the ability to read and write to the file system.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/business-and-innovation/article-722221

I guess if you're going to watch a game or games, you have to install the apps on your phone... Just like I had to install an app on my phone if I wanted to pass through Canada.

Hidden

We have stopped using Ehteraz since last month. I'm not sure it's still required for tourists, but stores and establishments no longer require that you present a green Ehteraz, thank goodness. Two years of it being mandatory, finally the govmint had some sense to ditch it. I was so sick and tired of it and it gave me somewhat an idea of what an MOB world would look like.

Last edited:

Hidden

The hayya card, though, is a new app required for all tourists. It is also required for residents who have tickets for the games. There are fan zones that only hayya card holders can access Many residents were too lazy to buy tickets when the first sales phase was announced earlier this year and the tickets were still cheap. Now tickets are almost sold out and the remaining ones cost an arm and a leg.

Back