Public Restrooms

ChildofLight

I will FOREVER remember going to my one and only circus. It was a small one that comes through occasionally every year or so. It was at the expo center so I thought great it is there and they have nice restrooms. Mistake No. 1. My brother and I stopped at McDonalds and got burger meal with large cokes. Mistake No. 2. The circus was outside in tents. Not long after it started I had to go to the restroom. The expo center was closed. Restrooms were several portapotties STANDING in the biggest overrun mess one ever saw. The mess was as least all of 6 feet out surrounding the potties. Several inches deep. We left and I drove fast as I could 16 miles to get home. I was going to stop at McDonalds to use the restroom but was afraid I wouldn’t make it if I got out in anticipation of. ...

Kerbluey

They hover.
I wondered. I wish they’d clean up after themselves. One thing I despise about vacationing is using public restrooms.

I once had an ilestomy. That’s a bag hooked up to your small intestine. I never got the hang of emptying it on the toilet so had to kneel and lay it over the seat. Now that’s an experience in public restrooms I’d never care to repeat!

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
That is what I do! That came in handy when I went on a trip to Egypt and the tour stopped at a gas station for a bathroom break. In the middle east there is just a hole in the ground and no toilet seat to go to the bathroom. I have seen this in Turkey as well. :shocked:shocked:scratch
I personally like the hole in the ground toilets, as long as they're clean. You don't have to touch anything, and bm's are very comfortable.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
That is what I do! That came in handy when I went on a trip to Egypt and the tour stopped at a gas station for a bathroom break. In the middle east there is just a hole in the ground and no toilet seat to go to the bathroom. I have seen this in Turkey as well. :shocked:shocked:scratch
I personally like the hole in the ground toilets, as long as they're clean. You don't have to touch anything, and bm's are very comfortable.
My aunt travelled the world with her husband, and she talked about the holes in the ground. It was the first time I heard about such a thing.
At least you/they didn't have to dig (and cover) a cat hole or slit trench :eek
They are comfortable to use, unless it's 40 below zero :eek
OTOH, at 40 below, it doesn't stink because everything freezes really fast and you don't take your time, either :biggrin

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
At least you/they didn't have to dig (and cover) a cat hole or slit trench :eek
They are comfortable to use, unless it's 40 below zero :eek
OTOH, at 40 below, it doesn't stink because everything freezes really fast and you don't take your time, either :biggrin
Heh. I added the word "toilets" to hole in the ground for a reason. In Asia, they have porcelain flusher squatter toilets. All the convenience of squatting in air-conditioned, clean comfort! (As long as they are kept clean.)

My most memorable experience with a "hole in the ground" was lacking the ground part of the equation. It was a squatter outhouse that was hung out over the side of the mountain. It was below freezing, windy, and I did have to go badly enough that I used it. You could look straight down the hole hundreds of feet of the cliff it was perched over. There was definitely praying invovled!

Ghoti Ichthus

My most memorable experience with a "hole in the ground" was lacking the ground part of the equation. It was a squatter outhouse that was hung out over the side of the mountain. It was below freezing, windy, and I did have to go badly enough that I used it. You could look straight down the hole hundreds of feet of the cliff it was perched over. There was definitely praying invovled!
The IDS Tower in downtown Minneapolis has restrooms in the ground floor lobby (Crystal Court) that have one-way glass. You can watch people going by as you do your business :biggrin Kind of strange the first time, but it's actually kind of cool :rolleyes

Last edited:

Kerbluey

Here in Missouri I was shocked to learn out in the country it’s common to have what’s called a lagoon. Instead of an underground septic it’s a hole in the ground, kind of a small pond, with the sewage piped to it. I’ve never smelled a stinky one, which surprised me. We had one temporarily several years ago until we got the underground system put in.

At that time we owned 50 acres. One hot day we were walking our land and found our dog cooling off in a hole in the ground. It was an old lagoon!!! The rain had filled it with water.

Ghoti Ichthus

Here in Missouri I was shocked to learn out in the country it’s common to have what’s called a lagoon. Instead of an underground septic it’s a hole in the ground, kind of a small pond, with the sewage piped to it. I’ve never smelled a stinky one, which surprised me. We had one temporarily several years ago until we got the underground system put in.

At that time we owned 50 acres. One hot day we were walking our land and found our dog cooling off in a hole in the ground. It was an old lagoon!!! The rain had filled it with water.
When they build a lagoon, the hole is lined with a clay or other *relatively impermeable* material so stuff leaches out slowly and water builds up. Ours never stank and the brush/tall "weeds" around the perimeter pretty much hid it from view.

Kerbluey

When they build a lagoon, the hole is lined with a clay or other *relatively impermeable* material so stuff leaches out slowly and water builds up. Ours never stank and the brush/tall "weeds" around the perimeter pretty much hid it from view.
I didn’t know that but wondered if they lined it. We have a lot of clay in the ground anyway, so there are a lot of man made ponds around. Our lagoon never stank and yep, it was surrounded by weeds. When we first moved in us city people went out to it and stood around being amazed that it didn’t stink. What really surprised us was the dogs not being interested in it. We thought they’d be trying to “snack” out of it, but they never did. It was built up around the edges and a pretty steep 6-ft drop to the actual water, so maybe that’s why.