Psalm 23 - I AM the Good Shepherd

Pat

Reminders and Final Thoughts: Psalm 23: Jesus, My Shepherd​

Psalm 22, 23 and 24 are a trilogy of Psalms prophesying about Jesus. In Psalm 22 we look back to see the suffering Savior on the cross - the Good Shepherd that gives His life for the sheep. John 10:11 In Psalm 24 we look forward to see the future reigning King - the Chief Shepherd who appears to give us a crown of glory. 1 Peter 5:4 In Psalm 23 we look to the present and see - the Great Shepherd, risen from the dead to provide every need for His sheep. Hebrews 13:20-21

:1 - “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” He is MY shepherd. A person can only say that if he has been born again and becomes one of Jesus’ sheep. John 10:14 Once we are His, all our present and future needs are taken care of. We will never want. Matthew 6:31-33; Romans 8:32; Philippians 4:19
:2 - “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.” A sheep won’t lie down unless his stomach is full, and his thirst is quenched. Everywhere he looks around him, he is relaxed and assured of good food and water. “And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that comes to me shall never hunger; and he that believes on me shall never thirst.John 6:33-58
:3 - “He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.” A restored soul is one that has received forgiveness and desires to walk in righteous obedience by the faith of Christ. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27; Romans 10:17
:4 - “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” For a Christian, the fear of death is gone. Paul said, “to die is gain” and “Death is swallowed up in victory.” He could only say that with eyes of faith looking at the eternal. His comfort was in knowing the Lord would protect and guide him. That is what a shepherd’s rod and staff are for; ever there to protect and guide. Hebrews 13:5
:5 - “Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.” We have our tables full with “all spiritual blessings in Christ.” Ephesians 1:3 We have been anointed with the oil of the Holy Spirit. John 14:26; 16:13; 1 John 2:27
:6 - “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” A review of our lives will show us that we’ve been very well taken care of. Those merciful blessings we’ve enjoyed, will continue until we go to the dwelling that Jesus has prepared for us. John 14:2-3

Final Thoughts: A good shepherd loves his sheep. God so loved us, that He gave Jesus as a sacrifice, to redeem all who are lost. As we enter the “Jewish Passover Feast” time of year, commonly known as Easter, we recognize Jesus as our Passover lamb, whose blood has been spread on the doorposts of our hearts. More importantly, the slain lamb has been raised to life and now lives in us. The eternal Word, identified as a pure, sinless, and undefiled sacrificial lamb has risen to become our shepherd.

Back