Proper Perspective Needed

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
I’m rather embarrassed to discuss this issue as it will make me seem childish and petty, but I’ve been struggling with these feelings for quite a while, and if I don’t talk about it, the feelings will only continue to fester. And I can’t think of a better place to talk about it than here in our group. So here goes...

Every time I see the Jews referred to as God’s “chosen people” and the “apple of His eye,” it makes me feel like a “second rate” child of God, simply because I was born a Gentile. It feels like yet another “jab” to my sense of self-worth...

What about us...the Church? We are the Bride of Christ! Are we not also “His people”, and the “apple of His eye”? Does He love and treasure the Jews more than us?

Rationally, I understand that God chose the Jews as the people through whom He would reveal Himself to mankind, and through whom the Savior of the world would come into the world as a man...

And yet, despite this understanding, I think the enemy uses this particular sensitivity of mine against me, knowing that I have always struggled with feeling deeply inferior to other people for various reasons ...and this “chosen people...apple of His eye” thing is yet another source of my feeling “less than”...

I know these thoughts are ridiculous, yet I still struggle to shake them off. Please help me get a handle this... :frown

RonJohnSilver

We, as the church, have some guarantees that no one else in history has, even the Jews. One, we have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, God in us. That 'indwelling' happens to no one else, at any time in history, except for us. In the OT, the Spirit came on people for specific tasks but only for a limited time. There was no indwelling. And, although some may disagree, I don't believe that 'indwelling' aspect of the HS will be active in post-rapture times. It is only, only for us. The HS will certainly be active then, convicting and enabling, but not indwelling.

Remember when (doubting) Thomas saw the Lord and said he believed, Jesus said to him, 'Blessed are those who have not seen me and yet believed.' That group? That's us. Those who have not seen Jesus and yet believe. Because of that faith without seeing, we, and only we, get the HS indwelling in us totally and permanently.

Also, we, the church, will be the first to be with Jesus and get our new bodies and rewards. The OT believers and the post-rapture believers will be glorified and gifted without doubt, but it happens to us first at the rapture. The others come along a bit later.

And we, the church, are the only group that is promised to be protected from the hour of tribulation, so we get to avoid that, not partially, but totally.

And we, the church, are promised to be 'married' to Jesus and received all the benefits that come from that.

And we, the church, will get to rule and reign with Jesus. Again, other saints are gifted in wonderful and specific ways, but we are told our role, ruling and reigning. I think, among believers, we are the most gifted of all time. There is no place I'd rather be than in the Church. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Pat

Israel, though God's chosen is also known as the adulterous wife of God. Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.
Us, the church, is known as the virgin bride of Christ, 2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
Which would you rather be? If I had a choice, it would be the virgin bride.
Here is how Paul related the Jews and Gentiles as far as salvation is concerned.
Rom 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. :12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? :13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: :14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. :15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? :16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. :17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; :18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. :19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. :20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: :21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. :22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. :23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. :24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree? :25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. :26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: :27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. :28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. :29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. :30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: :31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. :32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. :33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? :35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? :36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
Finally sister, I have to remind myself constantly the following: Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. I hope this helps. Blessings. Pat

Lovin Jesus

This isn’t childish or petty at all. I think all children tend to want to be Dad’s favorite. And He does everything to makes us All feel special because to Him we are All special.

If we can refer to how scripture addresses the church to see how God views us it can help us see that we are not inferior to the Jews but instead we are just as blessed and loved.

And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.
Ephesians 1:22-23

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions.
Colossians 1:24

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
Revelation 21:9

Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Acts 20:28

but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth
1 Timothy 3:15

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels,
Hebrews 12:22

I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.
John 10:16

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.
Revelation 21:2

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household,
Ephesians 2:19

you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:5

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."
Revelation 5:10

I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one— I in them and You in Me— that they may be perfectly united, so that the world may know that You sent Me and have loved them just as You have loved Me. 24Father, I want those You have given Me to be with Me where I am, that they may see the glory You gave Me because You loved Me before the foundation of the world.…
John 17:22-24

That feels pretty special.

Last edited:

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
I’m rather embarrassed to discuss this issue as it will make me seem childish and petty, but I’ve been struggling with these feelings for quite a while, and if I don’t talk about it, the feelings will only continue to fester. And I can’t think of a better place to talk about it than here in our group. So here goes...

Every time I see the Jews referred to as God’s “chosen people” and the “apple of His eye,” it makes me feel like a “second rate” child of God, simply because I was born a Gentile. It feels like yet another “jab” to my sense of self-worth...

What about us...the Church? We are the Bride of Christ! Are we not also “His people”, and the “apple of His eye”? Does He love and treasure the Jews more than us?

Rationally, I understand that God chose the Jews as the people through whom He would reveal Himself to mankind, and through whom the Savior of the world would come into the world as a man...

And yet, despite this understanding, I think the enemy uses this particular sensitivity of mine against me, knowing that I have always struggled with feeling deeply inferior to other people for various reasons ...and this “chosen people...apple of His eye” thing is yet another source of my feeling “less than”...

I know these thoughts are ridiculous, yet I still struggle to shake them off. Please help me get a handle this... :frown
I've felt it, too.
I was never the favorite child with my earthly parents.
But, the Jews are blinded and the gentiles are blessed to have a relationship with Jesus now, and not worry about the things coming to this world.

Bron

Standing on the Promises of God!

:bighug ❤️

Andy C

I can understand your feelings, but its important to understand how each came about and why.

Here is a portion from the linked article from Jack

“Israel came to be through a sovereign act of God, creating a nation out of the direct descendants of Abraham (Genesis 12:2). Later He narrowed this down to include only those who came through Isaac, (Genesis 26:3-5) and Jacob (Genesis 28:13-15). Theirs is a national covenant conditioned upon obedience (Exodus 19:3-6).

The Church consists of individual members from every nation, tribe, people, and language who have been adopted directly into the family of God, based on our personal belief that Jesus died for our sins and rose again (John 1:12-13, Galatians 4:4-7, Romans 10:9-10). Ours is a personal covenant conditioned upon on faith.

You could say that God’s position with Israel is based on a national religion, but His position with the Church is based on a personal relationship.”

https://gracethrufaith.com/topical-studies/the-bibles-authority/bible-say-israel-church/

kathymendel

God made a covenant with Abraham, and, ultimately, the Jewish people based on their adherence to His Law.
They have never lived under grace as the church has. And, they have repaid God by not accepting His Messiah when
He was sent. God does not look at the Jews and see any good......... and, yet He blesses them. Why? He is keeping His covenant
with them..............keeping His Word to them. For His honor and His glory.

And yet, He was so disgusted with them for their unbelief, that He turned His focus from them and reached out to the Gentiles.
Hence, the church. He is blessing the church, too. For His honor and His glory.

Neither group deserves any of the blessings we all receive. But, one day is coming soon, when the church will be lifted up and
spared from the Tribulations.............. and, God's focus will go back to the Jews. Many will die and all will endure the wrath God sends to earth.
Neither group is better than the other in God's eyes.
He loves all of us..........every. single. one.

alisani

I have nothing to add to the wisdom already shared above except to say it is spot on.

What I do want to say is this: I love your tender, honest heart. You are not alone to have such thoughts and you are not a bad person for having them. I know I have. You're speaking up for those whose sense of inadequacy prevents them from asking for, and receiving, reassurance. Who knows how many will read this and be comforted?

You are a beautiful soul and I hope you know it.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
Thanks so much to each one of you for your very kind and helpful responses!

I hesitated for a long time to bring up this topic, but so glad I did as it really does help a lot to get it out in the open and talk about it.

Gonna print and keep each response... :inlove

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
As a Believer and child of God I understand how blessed I am. If I were to find out I was Jewish, or even part Jewish, that would be icing on the cake, I guess, but I don't think I'd be more fortunate than I am now... it doesn't get any better than being a child of our God.

my2babysmama

I know exactly what you're saying, because all of my life I have struggled with the same feelings. I know that God loves me, but have always felt that He didn't like me very much. Even though I know it's incorrect, I still feel as if I have to convince Him to love me, and I have a very difficult time accepting that He considers me "beloved".

Pat

Feelings come
and feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving.
My trust is in the Word of God,
Nought else is worth believing.

C.T. Studd 19th century Missionary to China, Africa, founder of WEC

alisani

I know exactly what you're saying, because all of my life I have struggled with the same feelings. I know that God loves me, but have always felt that He didn't like me very much. Even though I know it's incorrect, I still feel as if I have to convince Him to love me, and I have a very difficult time accepting that He considers me "beloved".
Is it a feeling of needing to earn the approval? Or of just being inadequate? I struggled similarly for many years because it was just part of my overall thinking due to things that happened to me. Will be in prayer for you to have a deep awareness of God's love for you! :hug

my2babysmama

Is it a feeling of needing to earn the approval? Or of just being inadequate? I struggled similarly for many years because it was just part of my overall thinking due to things that happened to me. Will be in prayer for you to have a deep awareness of God's love for you! :hug
A little bit of both. I've always felt inadequate, but for a long time operated as if God loved me more if I did better, even though I know that's not true. I've learned a lot about God's gave and mercy in my lifetime, but the 18 inches between my head and my heart is very difficult to overcome.

Saguaro

Have an Exit Strategy_ I Thessalonians iv 17
The Jewish people often lament being the “chosen”

They are the constant butt of the devils antagonistic thrusts of hatred, envy, jealousy, bigotry, etc. etc. etc.

To roughly paraphrase a Jewish individual as he was thinking out loud, “all of the persecution and hatred that the Jew has experienced throughout our history, why would you want to be God’s chosen?”

Satan hates God, therefore it is logical that he would also hate the Jew, for they are one of the greatest testimonies of the realities of His Existence

Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain

On the Jews​

"If the statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one quarter of one percent of the human race. It suggests a nebulous puff of star dust lost in the blaze of the Milky Way. Properly, the Jew ought hardly to be heard of, but he is heard of, has always been heard of. He is as prominent on the planet as any other people, and his importance is extravagantly out of proportion to the smallness of his bulk.
His contributions to the world’s list of great names in literature, science, art, music, finance, medicine and abstruse learning are also very out of proportion to the weakness of his numbers. He has made a marvelous fight in this world in all ages; and has done it with his hands tied behind him. He could be vain of himself and be excused for it. The Egyptians, the Babylonians and the Persians rose, filled the planet with sound and splendor, then faded to dream-stuff and passed away; the Greeks and Romans followed and made a vast noise, and they were gone; other people have sprung up and held their torch high for a time but it burned out, and they sit in twilight now, and have vanished.​
The Jew saw them all, survived them all, and is now what he always was, exhibiting no decadence, no infirmaties, of age, no weakening of his parts, no slowing of his energies, no dulling of his alert but aggressive mind. All things are mortal but the Jews; all other forces pass, but he remains. What is the secret of his immortality? "

alisani

A little bit of both. I've always felt inadequate, but for a long time operated as if God loved me more if I did better, even though I know that's not true. I've learned a lot about God's gave and mercy in my lifetime, but the 18 inches between my head and my heart is very difficult to overcome.
Isn't it?? That is the struggle, getting that truth from one's head to one's heart! I grew up in a way which required me to be very performative and so I always felt that I had to "do" in order to "be". Hugs honey.