Problems Voting For Kevin McCarthy SOTH!

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I would think they'd be kind of embarrassed by their lack of votes and throw their support behind one of the other members, like candidates do in a Presidential primary race.

Except these days, there's no shame or embarrassment about anything :eek

Except maybe not being PC, or about being a Christian :mad

This isn't (rural) Kansas anymore, ToTo . . .

Ghoti Ichthus

I saw flying monkeys from a 1939 film.
They were creepy.

I like the flying monkey music :lol

Perhaps I should set it as the ring tone for my Representative's office. Although he's DFL, so he's not part of the problem we're talking about here.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

McCarthy Picks Up 14 Votes, Still Falls Short on 12th Ballot​

If you're looking to get caught up on this Groundhog Day Week of roll call votes, here are Townhall's previous stories on Tuesday's first ballot, the second ballot, the third ballot, Tuesday's fourth and fifth ballots, the sixth ballot, and Thursday's seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, and eleventh ballots. To put things into perspective, the last time the House had this many failed attempts to elect a speaker was the mid-1800s and the Civil War had not yet occurred. If Republicans wanted to make their new majority historic, they've gotten it — at the expense of not being able to actually start the House's business in the 118th Congress.

To save you time, let's summarize: Kevin McCarthy wants to be Speaker of the House, and he has for awhile. He has the support of a clear majority of Republican lawmakers, but due to the GOP's slim majority following the red ripple midterms, those votes don't give him a majority of votes needed in the full House of Representatives to become speaker. There have been around 20 Republicans nominating and voting for other-than-McCarthy individuals including Donald Trump, Byron Donalds, Jim Jordan, Jim Banks, and Kevin Hern. Those 20 holdouts are the reason vote after vote failed to deliver a victory for McCarthy or anyone else.

In the first three days of roll call votes, GOP leadership was successful in seeking adjournment in order to take things out of the public eye and behind closed to doors to try and hammer out a deal to get more votes in McCarthy's column. Those attempts did not work previously, but a House GOP aide told Townhall Friday morning that there still was "no deal" following a GOP Conference meeting, but that the warring factions were "close" to a deal that would push McCarthy across the finish line.

Sure enough, when the house reconvened at noon on Friday there was finally movement in McCarthy's direction as a number of Republicans who had previously voted against him threw their support behind the GOP Leader.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spenc...ys-quest-for-speakers-gavel-drags-on-n2617973

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

madcat

I have my ups and downs with Trump, but he does have a sense of humor. On his truth social web site, he posted a photo shopped picture of himself, sitting in the speakers seat, next to Harris, and Biden is in front of him giving the state of the union speech. Trump has his hands on his stomach like he is going to get sick, and he has his tongue sticking out…:)

I described the picture because Im not sure if the below link is ok for this forum.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109639006295552452
I say that last night on a GAB thread and. thought it was the Babylon Bee!!! Good for Trump!!!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
One or more of the holdouts have said publicly that they will not ever vote for McCarthy. It's usually not a good idea to back yourself into a corner with no real options. Of the 20 that have turned they succeeded in getting many concessions from McCarthy... at least on paper. It is starting to look like his becoming speaker is inevitable.

lightofmylife

One or more of the holdouts have said publicly that they will not ever vote for McCarthy. It's usually not a good idea to back yourself into a corner with no real options. Of the 20 that have turned they succeeded in getting many concessions from McCarthy... at least on paper. It is starting to look like his becoming speaker is inevitable.
I would say it is Gaetz and Boebert because they don't like him. They will be reconvening at 10 P.M. ET tonight.

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

My concern is if RINO McCarthy gets elected SOTH is there going to be backlash from him toward those who publicly expressed their opposition to his appointment. :hmmm Sadly, I wouldn't put it past him. I have another of my "gut" feelings telling me McCarthy isn't trustworthy and won't keep his promises but will end up giving into whatever demands the Demonrats make. I hope I'm wrong.

Ghoti Ichthus

Publicly discussed concessions were more about rule changes than anything else:

Return to any one Representative can call for SOTH to be canned. Vote still required. That's the way it was before Pelosi got it changed.

72 real hours to read legislation before voting, instead of 3 days, which was translated to 1 minute on day 1, 24 hours on day 2, and 1 minute on day 3.

A vote on term limits, which will only show constituents which way their elected Representative favors, because it's actually a Constitutional thing that would necessitate a change to the Constitution.

Rep. Perry alluded to other things that occurred behind closed doors during the interview. I think Dad had Newsmax on . . .

madcat

Hoping and praying you all get it figured out soon because I think 2023 is about to get rough and bumpy starting with what's cooking in Russia.
At this point I don‘t think it makes any difference who is speaker, president, or anything else in D.C. (as well as the lower levels). There may be a dozen or so with good intentions, but when you are surrounded by demons who are willing to do ANYTHING to achieve their agenda, as my dad would say “you are peeing on a forest fire”. But it just means the devil can double down and have no resistance except the leash God has around his neck for restraint. The destruction of America as well as the whole world now, is hard to watch, and the “solution” is coming soon, but so many are completely deceived and won’t know what hit them.

lightofmylife

Back