Printer won't print using the black ink cartridge.

Discussion in 'Electronics, Computers & Webpage Questions' started by Carl, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

My wife has an Acer computer a little over 1 year old. She had a HP printer from the old computer and hooked that to her new computer. Shortly the printer died and HP replaced it under warrentee.

The new printer has been supplied with HP ink via the HP online ink program. Fast forward to about a year later. Printer quit responding to computer requests to print. I found that the wireless connection quit working - (again). So today I hardwired the printer to the computer to end that problem. When printed a test page there was no black ink used in the print. So the page was blank since no color on that page. Replaced ink cartridge with new one. Still didn't work. So went and purchased a new cartridge - - it still didn't print black. Did full maintenance on the printer - nothing.

Has anyone here had this problem and were they able to correct the problem?
    Computer Acer
    Operating system Windows 10
    Printer HP officejet pro 6830.

2. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

I don't have a solution to your issue, but I recommend you try a Brother printer if you give up with this one. I used to only buy HP laserjets, but they consistently broke just after the year warranty time would expire. Then I tried Samsung and essentially the same thing would happen. I next tried Brother, that was years ago, and I now have a few Brother laserjets that have been trouble free. I even purchase no-name cartridges and the worse that has happened is one of those cheap cartridges wouldn't work to well so I'd toss it and put another one it. After Brother, I recommend Canon, but from my experience Brother drivers are a wee bit better than Canon's.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    SonSeeker and mattfivefour like this.
  3. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Yea Tall Timbers that is about conclusion that I was coming to. Could you email me one of your spares for a trial?

4. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

I have had nothing but good experiences with Brother ... unlike a number of other "name" brands. I currently have an auto-duplexing Brother Colour Laser MFD. Works like a charm. And very inexpensive-- both to purchase and for supplies.

Tall Timbers and SonSeeker like this.
  5. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Thank you matt.

6. Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven Well-Known Member

Me too. I use a brother laser printer black only. Very reliable

7. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

Brothers here also, Carl.
    The votes are in: Brothers 4 All others combined 0
    Do you want a recount?:D

mattfivefour and Tall Timbers like this.
  8. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses. I am going to purchase a Brothers today.

mattfivefour and Tall Timbers like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If you are getting the Brothers, don’t forget the little sister! :heh

Carl and mattfivefour like this.
  10. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

:pound

11. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Yesterday I did what I threatened to do. I purchased a Brother inkjet printer. I bought one of the business models because it can handle the 11" by 17" paper. I reasoned that when my Epson workforce printer fails I can still do my drafting work on the Brother model via the wireless connection.

mattfivefour and Luke12 like this.
  12. Luke12

Luke12 Well-Known Member

Yeah ...when I did cad design drafting 11 x 17 was a "B" size drawing. No sense in buying a plotter....they'e expensive. Even a "B' size printer will still print "E" size drawings (reduced of course) but even 1/8 inch size lettering will still be readable.

mattfivefour likes this.
  13. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Ok now that I have had the printer for a while I have run into a problem.

Somehow the printer is set for photo resolution for the copy mode. Nice copy, but it is really slow. Anyone know how to change the resolution in the printer's copy mode at the printer?

14. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

All my Brothers are lasers. Download a user manual if you don't already have one. Nowadays sometimes the full manual doesn't come with the device but is available for download.

15. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened, but it is now back to normal resolution. Copies now made in about 10 seconds rather than 1 1/2 minutes.