Prices Already Rising

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
We had a derecho in Iowa last summer and had huge amount of damages to homes, businesses, all types of outdoor fencing, etc. She’s been told the fence destroyed in her backyard won’t be replaced until late summer or early fall... :frust Not great when you have a puppy that wants to run a lot.

Can you do invisible fence/similar? Don't do it if the puppy's a Siberian Husky . . .

Ghoti Ichthus

Used to be my mainstay before they started closing them down to disinfect. EVERYBODY used to socially distance there then. :)

I don't like (very uncomfortable) having people close to me, anyway, so this 6 foot social distance thing has been a blessing to me. I usually try to give people at least 10 feet, anyway. Unfortunately, people, especially some men, think it's OK/funny to stand close/very close to a woman. I've learned to gracefully ask for my space if simply taking a step or two (or three) doesn't give whoever it is the hint. Sometimes, though, I've had to be *direct* :mad

TrustinHim

That’s where I’m fixin to head now. Fill up truck and 3 cans for the 3 mowers which are already filled with gas. Bought 3 more 5 gal buckets with lids to put food staples in. Went to Walmart to buy some pint jars. The shelves were bare of jars but got supplies of lids. Guess will get jars at grocery.
Save and wash all glass jars with the pop down lid,spaghetti, salsa...they work just fine as long as the seal is ok, been using them for a few years.

Lovin Jesus

Speaking of rise in prices.
Be very watchful with your shopping. I discovered something a couple of years ago. Some stores think they are very sly. If they can fool you into believing that they are your friend, your friendly neighborhood store, think again. Our local grocery outlets would try their best to sell consumers the lie that they were doing everything to keep prices down because they care about their customers. Bah!
It took a little time but not much time to notice something.
Yes, the prices were not going up and at times they would even have sales that were made to help you “save”.

But this is what they are doing to make you believe their lie that they care about the customer and want to help you save.

First it was the very low price of something let’s say soda. A 2 liter bottle on” sale” at 79 cents a bottle. But to get that price of 79 cents you have to but four or five bottles of the soda, and if you got one then it’s 99 cents. They force you to buy more bottles than you want in or Eder yogurt the “sake” price.

Then the other scam to “save” you money. I’ve bought flour tortillas for most my adult life. If the store prices it at 99 cents a package you may say not bad a price. How is it the store can keep that same package at 99 cents over a period of two three years and not raise that price? They make you believe they are keeping a low price for the customer and helping them save in their shopping.
But then there’s a catch to keeping the package of tortillas so low for so long.
Do you remember quantity was basic for tortillas?
99 cents a dozen right?
Well, one day I’m shopping and pick up a package of tortillas and not I’ve a change on that package. It’s still 99 cents but it’s no longer a dozen. No more 12 tortillas in there. Its 10 in the package.
So, for another year I notice the price is still 99 cents but again a change in the content of the package, its no more 10 in that package but now it’s 8!

Yeah they are lying to us. They aren’t keeping low prices, the store is not that low price leader they claim to be in advertising. Yes they keep the price from going up while they are skimming out of your packaging and reducing the amount of product you buy while they are deceiving the customer that they are “saving” them money. Has anyone else noticed this?

The same with your ice cream. Have you noticed the size of your Dryers got smaller while paying the same “low price?”. And how about that 2 Ltr of Pepsi? A little thinner than before? Oh yeah we are being robbed and many don’t even realize it.
Carefully watch your shopping and see whether you are really saving or if you are having the wool pulled over your eyes.

Last edited:

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Speaking of rise in prices.
Be very watchful with your shopping. I discovered something a couple of years ago. Some stores think they are very sly. If they can fool you into believing that they are your friend, your friendly neighborhood store, think again. Our local grocery outlets would try their best to sell consumers the lie that they were doing everything to keep prices down because they care about their customers. Bah!
It took a little time but not much time to notice something.
Yes, the prices were not going up and at times they would even have sales that were made to help you “save”.

But this is what they are doing to make you believe their lie that they care about the customer and want to help you save.

First it was the very low price of something let’s say soda. A 2 liter bottle on” sale” at 79 cents a bottle. But to get that price of 79 cents you have to but four or five bottles of the soda, and if you got one then it’s 99 cents. They force you to buy more bottles than you want in or Eder yogurt the “sake” price.

Then the other scam to “save” you money. I’ve bought flour tortillas for most my adult life. If the store prices it at 99 cents a package you may say not bad a price. How is it the store can keep that same package at 99 cents over a period of two three years and not raise that price? They make you believe they are keeping a low price for the customer and helping them save in their shopping.
But then there’s a catch to keeping the package of tortillas so low for so long.
Do you remember quantity was basic for tortillas?
99 cents a dozen right?
Well, one day I’m shopping and pick up a package of tortillas and not I’ve a change on that package. It’s still 99 cents but it’s no longer a dozen. No more 12 tortillas in there. Its 10 in the package.
So, for another year I notice the price is still 99 cents but again a change in the content of the package, its no more 10 in that package but now it’s 8!

Yeah they are lying to us. They aren’t keeping low prices, the store is not that low price leader they claim to be in advertising. Yes they keep the price from going up while they are skimming out of your packaging and reducing the amount of product you buy while they are deceiving the customer that they are “saving” them money. Has anyone else noticed this?

The same with your ice cream. Have you noticed the size of your Dryers got smaller while paying the same “low price?”. And how about that 2 Ltr of Pepsi? A little thinner than before? Oh yeah we are being robbed and many don’t even realize it.
Carefully watch your shopping and see whether you are really saving or if you are having the wool pulled over your eyes.
If you're not paying attention to weight, then those 8 tortillas for 99 cents might even be slightly smaller than they used to be. I always total the weight to ounces and figure out cost per ounce, then buy the least expensive option from there. The cost per ounce on most things has almost doubled here. Everything has gone up.

Ghoti Ichthus

Haagan Dazs . . . all the packages are noticeably smaller and prices are noticeably higher :eek
Fortunately, coupons are not hard to come by, and if combined with a sale price and loyalty points at Walgreen's, it's sort of OK.

Gas went up to $2.44 and back down to $2.29. But not all the way back down to $1.69 where it was for awhile :tappingfoot
15 cents is a noticeable drop, but it's not fooling us or making us feel any better . . . we all want the other 60 cents per gallon, too :tappingfoot

Lovin Jesus

If you're not paying attention to weight, then those 8 tortillas for 99 cents might even be slightly smaller than they used to be. I always total the weight to ounces and figure out cost per ounce, then buy the least expensive option from there. The cost per ounce on most things has almost doubled here. Everything has gone up.
Didn’t notice that but you’re right. Weight matters too

Jeff K

As a home builder, we are just as concerned about availability as we are the price increases. Last year at this time, the average rough lumber cost for our homes was right around $20k. Today, the average is $45k. That is the largest jump of prices, but as a whole, just about every product has seen increases.

Availability of product is tough. Windows went from 3 weeks out to 10 weeks. Shingles are on allocation and the supplier are limited to what they can get. Insulation is scarce, molding and millwork coming from overseas is getting difficult to get. Appliances are out of stock. I just received notice from my supplier that osb sheet goods may be in short supply as soon as the spring market hits.

I try to use everything that is happening in the world today to witness to other about Jesus. A woman in my office asked me what I thought was going to happen with the building market. I told her that I have an idea, but the only thing I'm really sure of is eternity and that I'll be spending it in heaven with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Try to keep your eyes fixed on Christ - this earthly ride may be bumpy.

alisani

As a home builder, we are just as concerned about availability as we are the price increases. Last year at this time, the average rough lumber cost for our homes was right around $20k. Today, the average is $45k. That is the largest jump of prices, but as a whole, just about every product has seen increases.

Availability of product is tough. Windows went from 3 weeks out to 10 weeks. Shingles are on allocation and the supplier are limited to what they can get. Insulation is scarce, molding and millwork coming from overseas is getting difficult to get. Appliances are out of stock. I just received notice from my supplier that osb sheet goods may be in short supply as soon as the spring market hits.

I try to use everything that is happening in the world today to witness to other about Jesus. A woman in my office asked me what I thought was going to happen with the building market. I told her that I have an idea, but the only thing I'm really sure of is eternity and that I'll be spending it in heaven with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Try to keep your eyes fixed on Christ - this earthly ride may be bumpy.
God bless you. My fil was a general contractor. He would have felt your pain.

Jeff K

God bless you. My fil was a general contractor. He would have felt your pain.
The Lord is good and His blessings have been great. Whatever happens in the future, I trust He will provide.
I was reading Esther this morning and was reflecting on how God just orchestrates His plan (then and now) and I stand in awe. I pray that He has me in place for such a time as this.
As we watch things like inflation take place, I know it might be strange, but I find myself looking forward to how God is going to use it.

soundingthealarm

I've worked in a job that has been 100 commission since 2008. Thousands of times I've thought I was drowning YET thousands of times I didn't drown lol. He has always been faithful, despite my faithless cries of despair. The WHAT IF scenario has targeted me countless times and a couple of summers ago, while mowing my yard I was fretting about another "what if" when Godly thoughts superseded my frets..."Tim, did you get yourself this job? Did you land your customers? Do you make your income?"

Uh, NO NO NO I didn't do any of that, YOU DID FATHER!!! I can't even get out of bed without His HELP, it is in Him we have our moving and our being.

I'm not testifying that I'm now a non-fretter, I'm testifying that when I've been weak He has ALWAYS BEEN STRONG. He truly has never left me nor forsaken me.

As my wife has said "it says give us this day our daily bread" it doesn't say give us a month in advance or years in advance. Our Father is providing Sunshine for the whole planet, He is providing rain for the whole planet, causing the rain to fall on the just and unjust.

So as we hear more n more from NEWS sources about what is coming as it relates to lack and cost ....we believers are gonna be walking talking testimonials of HIS faithfulness.

Psalms 34:9-10 Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger;
But those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing.

Lovin Jesus

Haagan Dazs . . . all the packages are noticeably smaller and prices are noticeably higher :eek
Fortunately, coupons are not hard to come by, and if combined with a sale price and loyalty points at Walgreen's, it's sort of OK.

Gas went up to $2.44 and back down to $2.29. But not all the way back down to $1.69 where it was for awhile :tappingfoot
15 cents is a noticeable drop, but it's not fooling us or making us feel any better . . . we all want the other 60 cents per gallon, too :tappingfoot
$3:89 per gallon here. Has been holding for a few weeks but I’m sure it won’t stay that way too long. Gosh I can remember when my husband was stationed in Fort Polk LA in 1975. That was around the time red flags and green flags were used to determine if the station had gas, it was during the “gas crunch” or shortage there supposedly was. California was at an all time high turning point of gas prices and before we left for Louisiana the news on the radio said gas was going to go up to 50 cents a gallon. 50 cents! It had everyone in a panic and people were lining up for gas with lines that went out of the gas station, down the streets. And people had gas cans and other containers like milk cartons to fill with gas. 50 Cents!
And that was a time of panic for everyone back then. How quickly people forget that what we saw as high prices then, now would be to give an arm and a leg for. How funny how we think when worrting about things running out or being too costly, when nothing really changes except us, we the people who cause our own anxiety and worry about how we are going to have what we need. Oh, the Lord and His wisdom and how we would worry less if we only trust in him and not be so controlling about the things God has freely given to us. We need to be under His kingdom rule so we don’t need to be concerned about the things we do to ourselves and to each other.
I don’t know why but this just came to me and I needed to share this thought, but there it is

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

$3:89 per gallon here. Has been holding for a few weeks but I’m sure it won’t stay that way too long. Gosh I can remember when my husband was stationed in Fort Polk LA in 1975. That was around the time red flags and green flags were used to determine if the station had gas, it was during the “gas crunch” or shortage there supposedly was. California was at an all time high turning point of gas prices and before we left for Louisiana the news on the radio said gas was going to go up to 50 cents a gallon. 50 cents! It had everyone in a panic and people were lining up for gas with lines that went out of the gas station, down the streets. And people had gas cans and other containers like milk cartons to fill with gas. 50 Cents!
And that was a time of panic for everyone back then. How quickly people forget that what we saw as high prices then, now would be to give an arm and a leg for. How funny how we think when worrting about things running out or being too costly, when nothing really changes except us, we the people who cause our own anxiety and worry about how we are going to have what we need. Oh, the Lord and His wisdom and how we would worry less if we only trust in him and not be so controlling about the things God has freely given to us. We need to be under His kingdom rule so we don’t need to be concerned about the things we do to ourselves and to each other.
I don’t know why but this just came to me and I needed to share this thought.m

I worked at gas stations during the various stupidities :lol

I've had to pay over $5 a gallon in the U.S. a few times, and over $4 multiple periods of time. Thankfully, the cars I've had were pretty fuel efficient :smile

I feel sorry for all the people that bought vehicles with not-so-great fuel efficiency. I get it that some needed them, but many only wanted them, which is their choice. Others didn't have a lot of choice because of what the manufacturers design, build and ship . . .

One of my pet peeves has always been the lack of fuel efficiency in most vehicles and the lack of progress in improving fuel efficiency. I get it that pollution control and some other things on vehicles make this more difficult, but I would think a mile per gallon improvement per year, or even every two years is feasible. Obviously, it's not economically advantageous to anyone [oil-vehicle industrial complex] except the consumer. Ditto built-in obsolescence/wear out/breakage.

Example: In 1980, I got a car that was rated at 51 mpg hwy. 2000, 49 mpg hwy. 2012, 50 mpg hwy. Yes, technology is better, but why the plateau? Oh, and if the computer in my current car is set to Japanese specs, the emissions are the same as US specs, the performance is better, and I get 72 mpg on summer fuel not running the AC :tappingfoot

:soapbox :rant

Back