Prices Already Rising

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Will these frigid storms cause price of meat to rise even more? Also curious if going to kill the wheat already growing. It usually tolerates cold but this? And it was looking so good.

Pretty normal here, although a little warmer and drier this year, but no two winters the same. Haven't heard anything about any issues with crops or livestock (so far). Winter wheat is really hardy. The big issue up here is if the fields are too wet to plow and plant in the spring.

athenasius

Will these frigid storms cause price of meat to rise even more? Also curious if going to kill the wheat already growing. It usually tolerates cold but this? And it was looking so good.
I can answer the wheat question, here in Canada our best wheat growing areas are the prairies and winter wheat as it's called commands high prices world wide for top quality high protein grain good for bread flour. It's used to improve the quality of lower types of softer wheat grown in warmer climates. We sell to the world because of that wheat we grow.

Winter wheat is ordinary wheat planted in the fall, and it gets growing a little then goes thru a prairie winter in Canada. The temperatures dip to 45 below zero C which is 49 below Zero in Fahrenheit.

before the wind chill.

Last edited:

Carl

My farm experience is that there are two types of wheat. Winter wheat is the type that most farms in the thumb of Michigan grew. It was planted in the fall after the Hessian fly laid its eggs. The Hessian fly lays its eggs under leaves on the plant stems. The larva eat the plant sap and thus weaken it to the point it produces no seed. If that plant is wheat the farmer will have a poor crop. However the farmers knew what to look for and planted their wheat after the fly laid its eggs. The wheat sprouts and is about 2 to 3 inches tall when the freeze happened in Michigan. The wheat plant then went dormant until warm weather in the spring thawed everything out.

The spring wheat is planted in the spring after the last frost as it is killed by the cold.

As athenasius said farmers like the winter wheat better as it brings a better price.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Glad I got gas the other day because it's gone up a bunch, and the news said it was going to go up significantly more. Seems the storm has seriously impacted power and refinery operations, so everyone's fuel availability and prices are affected :furious :rant :mad :wild

Lovin Jesus

Glad I got gas the other day because it's gone up a bunch, and the news said it was going to go up significantly more. Seems the storm has seriously impacted power and refinery operations, so everyone's fuel availability and prices are affected :furious :rant :mad :wild
Glad I took a deep breath of air today.......
Maybe I shouldn’t have cleaned out that lint covered hard candy from my jacket pocket and thrown it away yesterday.

athenasius

Glad I took a deep breath of air today.......
Maybe I shouldn’t have cleaned out that lint covered hard candy from my jacket pocket and thrown it away yesterday.
You are fortunate that your computer didn't die which is what happened to George's big one in the office here-- he deep cleaned it to help with my asthma, and the computer stopped working.

Ok it might have been old age, it was pushing 8 or 9 years old

But I say it was the DUST!

athenasius

I went grocery shopping today at the military base and spent $225 and my cart was not full! Granted I bought a lot of meat, but it seems like every item I buy has increased in price from 10 to 50 cents. I try to use coupons and find sales when I can.
I keep track of our grocery tapes. Because of that, I know that I paid 20 cents more for a jug of milk on Tuesday than I did 17 days earlier.

fl2007rn

I keep track of our grocery tapes. Because of that, I know that I paid 20 cents more for a jug of milk on Tuesday than I did 17 days earlier.
I look at my receipts too and the bag of coffee I normally buy is 50 cents more than 2 weeks ago! Just about every product I buy is more so I watch for sales and sometimes buy generic when it won't change the taste of my food. Luckily I have 3 different grocery stores within a few miles of my house so I check their sales flyers every week. This week I was able to get $30 off the bill in coupons.

Andy C

I look at my receipts too and the bag of coffee I normally buy is 50 cents more than 2 weeks ago! Just about every product I buy is more so I watch for sales and sometimes buy generic when it won't change the taste of my food. Luckily I have 3 different grocery stores within a few miles of my house so I check their sales flyers every week. This week I was able to get $30 off the bill in coupons.
We miss commissary shopping. There is not one within hundreds of miles.

fl2007rn

We miss commissary shopping. There is not one within hundreds of miles.
Even the commissary is getting expensive. However, the commissary can't be beat when it comes to the price of meat. The military even started making their own generic brands called "Freedom's Choice" and "Home Base". The generic military brands make paper towels/plates, TP, cheese, noodles, soup, canned vegetables, etc. and believe it or not they are just as good as the name products! I buy the military brands all the time now. Luckily, I only live 1/4 mile from Patrick Space Force Base. Notice they changed the name to Space Force!

Lovin Jesus

I also took note to the extra high increase of cost for grocery goods.
I usually like to but the singles packaged diced fruit. I’ve always expected to pay a “little extra” , a little, for the individual packaging of the items. But not long ago for example, the “Dole” brand of diced peaches was a couple of dollars for a pack of six individual containers. The store brand was maybe 50 cents less. I go shopping the other day to buy the same pack of fruit but noticed a couple of things different. First was the cost had raised upward to almost $4.00 for the Dole brand. The store brand was now nearly $ 3.00. If that wasn’t enough to pinched the debit card, I noticed something further to that pinch. The package no longer has six containers but now it has four. So, they raised the price close to a dollar more on both the name brand and the store brand but also a reduction in the quantity of that packaging now . A couple of years ago I noticed that they hadn’t reduced the prices of the products but instead had lowered the quantity. Whether in size or fluid or solid ounces, or in umber let’s say a dozen flour tortIliad dropped to now 8 in a pkg with no change in the cost making some people think the cost of their food remains the same but in fact we are getting less. But now, it’s plain in view that not only the cost has risen but now the quantity of your groceries have lessened. No doubt food prices and quantity availability has changed dramatically. If we don’t carefully observe what we are buying, we are getting ripped off without being aware of it.

Back