Prices Already Rising

TimeWarpWife

Back in August 2021, I bought several boxes of Morton's Natural Sea Salt for $1.98 each at Walmart. Today I realized I only have one box left, went online to check the price ~ $2.94 for the same box, which is almost a 50% increase in price. :faint2 Well, it's back to good old iodized salt, same size box of the Equate brand for .54 a box.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I never look at eggs since I have hens.

Have you ever estimated the cost of each of your eggs based on the cost of feed and how long a bag of feed lasts? I know hens can find their own food too, but most folks feed them...

Once when I was in the country a good ways from the village of Florian, Colombia, staying with a family while I built a house for them. I asked how much corn they tossed out to their chickens each day and did the math and suggested that it cost them more to keep a chicken than it would to purchase one at market if they ever wanted to eat chicken. Following the blank stare the lady asked me "what would like be like without chickens underfoot?

Later I pulled out all that lady's remaining teeth. Not as an sort of punishment mind you. I practiced dentistry down there and she had about 1/4 of her teeth left and wanted them out. She did benefit from lidocaine :). I think she's the only one I ever pulled a tooth from when the tooth wasn't rotting. While I was building their house they cooked a chicken for me one night. That was a treat, and they kept me well stocked with guarapo while I was working.

TrustinHim

Meanwhile in Nebraska they are culling entire flocks of chickens based on allegedly finding bird flu. This is going on across the country, I have some serious questions about the validity of the findings and why the culled chickens weren't processed by canning where the "virus " would be eliminated, food scarcity is not going to be easy especially for the lower income folks.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Destroying flocks of any birds with bird flu has been standard agricultural practice for a very long time.

I don't know why they don't can it, but I suspect it has to with the time and cost of sanitizing everything, from the farm, to the trucks, to the factory. And maybe? concerns over workers contracting the disease from the birds and/or carcasses and spreading it via friends and family?

I can personally say that bird flu was no joke, but I think swine flu was a little worse.

Last edited:

Kenny64

PRICES of everything has continued to rise. As wife are retired means to me working part time to cover the inflation or help.
I will be bagging groceries for tips today and tomorrow. Yea, Bills including mortgage, food etc are all paid electronically. Doesn't
leave much for fun money or gifts. Yes, I continue to TITHE the chuch as much as possible. We are left with 50% attendance since covid.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/11/17/digital-currency-is-already-here-you-were-warned-1310292/

This is will happen in United States SOON. Come Lord Jesus come.

Pretend that all your “money” is being stored as a digital currency. Now imagine that the government institutes a vaccine mandate but you refuse to abide by it. In a CBDC-centered society, the government could simply disable your digital “money” until you comply. Something similar happened in Canada last year, albeit with just regular bank accounts for the time being.

“In an attempt to squash the voices of those who disagree with his preferred policies, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau froze the bank accounts of protesters. The widespread use of a CBDC would increase the ability of petty tyrants to control the finances of their citizens and silence voices of dissent,” The Hill notes.

And so, just to be clear, the government can already silence dissidents by disabling bank accounts. A CBDC would only further simplify the process.

ChildofLight

Have you ever estimated the cost of each of your eggs based on the cost of feed and how long a bag of feed lasts? I know hens can find their own food too, but most folks feed them...

Once when I was in the country a good ways from the village of Florian, Colombia, staying with a family while I built a house for them. I asked how much corn they tossed out to their chickens each day and did the math and suggested that it cost them more to keep a chicken than it would to purchase one at market if they ever wanted to eat chicken. Following the blank stare the lady asked me "what would like be like without chickens underfoot?
No I haven’t figured the cost. It would have to be considering free range eggs. I presume it would have to be figured for a year in feed and the amount of eggs in a year. Chickens have high weeks/months for laying and God has given them a resting period also. The resting period is usually during my high baking season. This time of year. I would also have to consider how much I would have to pay my hens for pest control of tomato hornworms, cut worms, scorpions, crickets, grasshoppers, tiny snakes, mice and no telling what else. They also work my compost bin and provide fertilizer. Therefore too much effort for me to calculate.

ChildofLight

I bought onion sets to plant. Use to get a good size bundle for a decent price. Now the bundle is half the size for about the same price.
The price of chicks have gone up as well. Nearly $5 per chick. Maybe the breed is a price difference not sure. Ordered Barnevelders since they are to lay through the winter though takes about 10 months before they start laying.

Last edited: