Prices Already Rising

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Gas was $2.44 the other day here. It's been creeping up over the last couple of months. $1.29-$1.49, and so on up to $2.29 last week. When colder weather is anticipated, gas, diesel, and kerosene prices always go up here. Some of the increase because of heating, but some also because of outdoor activities like ice fishing, snow mobiling, etc. State wuhan virus restrictions just eased, so more people are out and about driving, going places, including work.

Reading through the thread, I noticed that bare shelves are in two of the states that will likely be most affected by the huge caravans headed toward the southern border. I'm guessing people are buying up to ensure they have what they need for their families and to avoid the higher prices caused by the anticipated huge increase in demand. Possibly also some people looking to profit.

Taco sauce/salsa is always in short supply around big footall games, playoffs, and Super Bowl time. Also an easy way to keep vegetables on-hand that people will eat. It's very easy to make. Wear food handler's gloves or impermeable gloves or plastic of some sort when handling/cutting the peppers if you're cutting by hand.

Not saying what is being observed and experienced isn't at least in part due to the change in administrations.

Ghoti Ichthus

Could the price of lumber be because of all the fires?

Yes. Burning down trees and increased demand for wood to replace and repair things damaged/destroyed by natural disasters, plus increased demand for paper products, plus wuhan virus-related manufacturing, etc. costs.

Plus, builders and developers are ordering their supplies for spring construction now.

Ghoti Ichthus

Just wait til Bumbling Biden raises minimum pay to $15 an hour.
I've prepared best I know how. Are there any suggestions?

Yep. My brother and I ate earlier this month at our favorite cafe and Tex Mex. I told him this will probably be the last time except for special occasions as it will all go up with the minimum wage increase. We know it’s coming.

Minimum wage in many places here is already $15/hour, and has been since before wuhan virus.

Some prices, like in restaurants, went up, so some people aren't going out as much.
But . . . some of the people, who are working for the higher minimum wage, are going out more.
So, it kind of evens out for the restaurants and some other places More people can afford to go out some, but fewer can afford to go out a lot.
Except wuhan virus messed stuff up for awhile.

And it sucks to be on a fixed income when prices go up because quality of life goes down [sigh]

JamesSuth

In Europe the cost of shipping a container from China has gone up partly due to a shopping boom. Here in Europe people are buying like crazy. I've never seen so many delivery vans around my street, it is constant. House sales are also crazy, both of these things with resulting price increases. I like reading a financial magazine, what they say is logical, but the economy is doing the opposite of what they expected to happen because people are doing the opposite of what is logical. Jobs are being lost, all jobs are fragile, there are no pay raises. And the response of consumers? Spend, spend, spend! I see this as part of the pressure that is building on the global economy before the last big crash around, or likely just after the rapture.

Lovin Jesus

Gas was $2.44 the other day here. It's been creeping up over the last couple of months. $1.29-$1.49, and so on up to $2.29 last week. When colder weather is anticipated, gas, diesel, and kerosene prices always go up here. Some of the increase because of heating, but some also because of outdoor activities like ice fishing, snow mobiling, etc. State wuhan virus restrictions just eased, so more people are out and about driving, going places, including work.

Reading through the thread, I noticed that bare shelves are in two of the states that will likely be most affected by the huge caravans headed toward the southern border. I'm guessing people are buying up to ensure they have what they need for their families and to avoid the higher prices caused by the anticipated huge increase in demand. Possibly also some people looking to profit.

Taco sauce/salsa is always in short supply around big footall games, playoffs, and Super Bowl time. Also an easy way to keep vegetables on-hand that people will eat. It's very easy to make. Wear food handler's gloves or impermeable gloves or plastic of some sort when handling/cutting the peppers if you're cutting by hand.

Not saying what is being observed and experienced isn't at least in part due to the change in administrations.
$2.44?! Really?! Here the lowest is $3.89
And taco sauce here in fast food is one pack free after that $$$$ for extra

fl2007rn

Yep. My brother and I ate earlier this month at our favorite cafe and Tex Mex. I told him this will probably be the last time except for special occasions as it will all go up with the minimum wage increase. We know it’s coming.
By increasing the min wage price to $ 15 it will have a severe impact on the medical community here in Florida. People that are nursing assistants, EMT's, phlebotomists, medical assistants, etc. make about $15 an hour. Who would want to deal with sick patients when they can stock shelves at WalMart for the same wages?

Lovin Jesus

By increasing the min wage price to $ 15 it will have a severe impact on the medical community here in Florida. People that are nursing assistants, EMT's, phlebotomists, medical assistants, etc. make about $15 an hour. Who would want to deal with sick patients when they can stock shelves at WalMart for the same wages?
Agree. Some people making $15 hr have to pay to go to school for a certification for a profession that now you need none as a basic federal minimum wage

fl2007rn

Agree. Some people making $15 hr have to pay to go to school for a certification for a profession that now you need none as a basic federal minimum wage
My niece is an x-ray tech and makes $20 per hour here in Florida. She told me she will consider quitting the medical field if wages go to $15 per hour. My niece has a bachelors degree plus pay for and maintain a license, do continuing education, and must deal with covid patients on a daily basis. She said it might be better to work at WalMart or the grocery store!

ChildofLight

Minimum wage in many places here is already $15/hour, and has been since before wuhan virus.

Some prices, like in restaurants, went up, so some people aren't going out as much.
But . . . some of the people, who are working for the higher minimum wage, are going out more.
So, it kind of evens out for the restaurants and some other places More people can afford to go out some, but fewer can afford to go out a lot.
Except wuhan virus messed stuff up for awhile.

And it sucks to be on a fixed income when prices go up because quality of life goes down [sigh]
With the price of fertilizer and gas going up, the food will go up even more due to growing and shipping.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Yeah a country-wide minimum wage hike to $15 will cause some serious inflation. Folks with savings and those on fixed incomes will be hit hard. I guess it's one way to help ensure the elderly of the population are destitute. The inflation will ease some of the pressure on our National Debt, but the govmint will just keep adding to that... A high minimum wage would also be hard for a lot of small businesses. So many have already closed for good due to the government mandates following the COVID outbreak.

I guess we're witnessing a classic example of the opposite of a government of, by, and for the people. Welcome to the staging days for the end of this era.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
$2.44?! Really?! Here the lowest is $3.89
And taco sauce here in fast food is one pack free after that $$$$ for extra

If a fast food place wanted to charge me for condiments, it would be the last time I ate there. I haven't eaten at a taco bell in over a year, but I use 8 or 9 packages of their fire sauce on each bean burrito. I figure I've paid for the condiments with the price paid for the food. For sit down Mexican restaurants I usually bring my own favorite hot sauce in case they don't have any of the good stuff.

soundingthealarm

My career is in shipping liquid chemicals all across the country and the main commodity I work on is liquid fertilizer and I'm already seeing huge increases on two fronts, the fertilizer suppliers are raising the cost to buy the fertilizer and then the carriers (due to lack of available drivers) are raising freight cost substantially to transport so inflation is here.....

But Matthew 6:25-34
“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one [a]cubit to his [b]stature?

“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not [c]arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Our Faith will not shrink, its gonna grow as we see Jehova Jireh (Our Provider) give us this day our daily bread even when it looks bleak.

Back