Prices Already Rising

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Be very careful about pallets. Some are treated with preservatives and other toxic chemicals. Some may have been used to transport and/or store toxic stuff, too. And depending on where one gets them or where they've been, there could be nasty bugs and other vermin lurking, been exposed to meth lab/waste, etc.

A pile of pallets behind a building, in a field, etc. may not be abandoned. Be careful to ascertain who owns them and whether or not they are for sale or free.

Ditto all of the above for wooden shipping crates and boxes.
Especially the old barn. I'd be hopping mad if someone helped themselves to our old barn!

heisable2

Be very careful about pallets. Some are treated with preservatives and other toxic chemicals. Some may have been used to transport and/or store toxic stuff, too. And depending on where one gets them or where they've been, there could be nasty bugs and other vermin lurking, been exposed to meth lab/waste, etc.

A pile of pallets behind a building, in a field, etc. may not be abandoned. Be careful to ascertain who owns them and whether or not they are for sale or free.

Ditto all of the above for wooden shipping crates and boxes.
Thank you very much for the info about pallets. I see pickup trucks with piles of pallets swing in the breeze going down the highway and I have to laugh. But I did not even think about all of the stuff that the pallets could be harboring. I guess everything you see on the internet and YouTube isn't true. But then I'm a city girl, what do I know.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Thank you very much for the info about pallets. I see pickup trucks with piles of pallets swing in the breeze going down the highway and I have to laugh. But I did not even think about all of the stuff that the pallets could be harboring. I guess everything you see on the internet and YouTube isn't true. But then I'm a city girl, what do I know.

Some pallets are OK.

Guide to UK pallet markings
https://www.universalpallets.com/2018/01/ultimate-guide-pallet-markings/

US pallet markings
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/wood-packaging-material

DIY pallet info (more comprehensive then the one below)
https://www.ecohome.net/guides/3593/is-it-safe-to-build-beds-or-furniture-with-shipping-pallets/

DIY website pallet info
https://diyprojects.ideas2live4.com...how-to-tell-a-safe-pallet-from-a-toxic-one/2/

Ghoti Ichthus

OTC is through the roof :eek

Generic acetaminophen is almost the same price as name-brand Tylenol (which has gone up some) :eek

Generic Sudafed (pseudoephedine) that you have to buy from behind the pharmacy counter, show ID, have your purchase history checked, current purchase recorded, and then you sign for is almost double what it used to be :mad

Combination products containing pseudoephedrine are pretty much unavailable.
Wonder if it's cuz people are treating covid (and cold ad flu) symptoms with OTC instead of getting tested possibly quarantined, or people hoarding and/or profiteering :mad

Some children's cough syrup has been missing from the shelves for months :frown

Citrucel caplets has been missing from the shelves since early last spring, and the bulk bowder has been gone since late spring. But some jerks are profiteering with it on Amazon and elsewhere :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust

LibertyBelle

Cracked.
They quit making Benadryl in the form we use - the pink & white cap....sule? what do you call them - they're in a vitamin-like case that you can open, and pour out just part of the powder. Can only get it from Walmart, in generic form. I think it's Walgreens that sells it in a giant container, but not online.

heisable2

OTC is through the roof :eek

Generic acetaminophen is almost the same price as name-brand Tylenol (which has gone up some) :eek

Generic Sudafed (pseudoephedine) that you have to buy from behind the pharmacy counter, show ID, have your purchase history checked, current purchase recorded, and then you sign for is almost double what it used to be :mad

Combination products containing pseudoephedrine are pretty much unavailable.
Wonder if it's cuz people are treating covid (and cold ad flu) symptoms with OTC instead of getting tested possibly quarantined, or people hoarding and/or profiteering :mad

Some children's cough syrup has been missing from the shelves for months :frown

Citrucel caplets has been missing from the shelves since early last spring, and the bulk bowder has been gone since late spring. But some jerks are profiteering with it on Amazon and elsewhere :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust
When covid struck I read somewhere that a lot of the over-the-counter medications were made in China; also Splenda was made in china. So I happened to be at Sam's and I bought a couple of boxes of Splenda and over the counter meds that I usually take.

TimeWarpWife

Went to McDonald's last weekend, bought a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, and large fries to share ~ $14.60! :shocked The last time I went to Wendy's, got a taco salad, large chili, and single hamburger ~ $16.08! :shocked A single large order of fries at McD's now costs $3.58. I've come to the decision that it's now too expensive to eat out at all. It's only dh and myself, so I'm guessing for a family of 4 to go to McD's now would cost at least $30 or more to eat out. That used to be what it cost us to eat at Outback Steakhouse, and I don't have the nerve to see what it must cost to eat there anymore.

heisable2

Went to McDonald's last weekend, bought a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, and large fries to share ~ $14.60! :shocked The last time I went to Wendy's, got a taco salad, large chili, and single hamburger ~ $16.08! :shocked A single large order of fries at McD's now costs $3.58. I've come to the decision that it's now too expensive to eat out at all. It's only dh and myself, so I'm guessing for a family of 4 to go to McD's now would cost at least $30 or more to eat out. That used to be what it cost us to eat at Outback Steakhouse, and I don't have the nerve to see what it must cost to eat there anymore.
Back in my day you could get a hamburger fries and a drink and get change back from your dollar.

TimeWarpWife

I got up the nerve to look at our local Outback to see how much the prices had gone up. They used to have a 6 oz., 12 oz., and 16 oz. center cut sirloin, the 16 oz. is what I got and the last time I had it it was $20.99. Now, they don't even offer a 16 oz., it's 6 oz., 8 oz., and 11 oz., the 11 oz. now costing $19.49. DH usually got the Porterhouse and the last time he had it it was $22.99, now it's $31.49. Well, definitely can't afford to dine there anymore. :nope

Batman

I agree. The prices are ridiculous and the food quality is just not good. We will still hit Popeye's or Raising Cane's or Arby's or Burger King from time to time but honestly these places have varying degrees of decent menu items and some pricing is not good at all. I think our best bet for the long haul is to continue to research and experiment with Youtube how-to recipes for various things within our abilities to make.

MapleLeaf

Money stuff always freaks me out. It's always been one of my weaknesses spiritually -- trusting God with our finances. He keeps taking care of us but whenever it seems things are starting to look OK some disaster seems to hit. We are about 2 months shy of being debt-free outside of our mortgage which should open our budget but seeing inflation skyrocket with that 'freedom' just ahead feels unfair. I try to ignore the financial crisis stuff looming in the foreground. I know God provides. I keep reminding myself of that. I stay home with the kids so it is my husband going out and about and I don't often see what's going on in the stores. I did notice the thrift store raised its prices and it almost never has anything. People are donating less, I guess.

I insisted we buy a few things early for the kids for Christmas so that no matter what should happen in the next few months that they will have a little something for Christmas Day this year at least. I am glad we did. With inflation though, it's hard to set stuff aside for our little prep shelf.

Ghoti Ichthus

Take-out Chinese for two the other night cost over twice as much as take-out Chinese for three a couple years ago :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry

Same portions and no fees tacked on, though. And they'll make food without soy.

Dad was horrified when he saw the price :eek

I'd much rather eat home-made cuz cheaper, better, and healthier.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

They quit making Benadryl in the form we use - the pink & white cap....sule? what do you call them - they're in a vitamin-like case that you can open, and pour out just part of the powder. Can only get it from Walmart, in generic form. I think it's Walgreens that sells it in a giant container, but not online.

Just went on the U.S. Walmart website and they have name-brand, Walmart generic, and some other generic brand capsules in stock in-store and for shipping.
U.S Walgreen's website only shows Walgreen's generic capsules, only available in-store and out of stock for shipping.
U.S. CVS only shows CVS generic, only available in-store and out of stock for shipping.

ChildofLight

Instead of eating at restaurants going to have to order 1 take-out and split between 2 people. Some are enough for 2 and wouldn’t have to leave a tip.

I wonder if some of the CBD/herbal shops that have opened are going to do more business, if over the counter drugs start disappearing off the shelves. Like someone else said a lot of it is made in China. :mad:

Back