Prices Already Rising

Batman

We sure had some great fuel prices during Trumps POTUS time but overall these past 30 years it's been very difficult for people all over the world, not just Americans, to keep up with rising inflation and rising fuel prices that not only hurt to pay but also trickle down in impact for goods/services/food/etc.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Prices rising is a killer to me! My last fill up in my truck was in a part of the country where diesel prices at NOT cheap. Filled up with a total of 126 gallons - $399 was the cost!! That hurt! Takes quite a bit from the bottom line as to what I actually bring home!!

Yes I will admit, all of us are feeling this crunch. Ain't easy.

Come Lord Jesus!!

I remember when that quantity of diesel would have cost over $600, and that was in the lower 48. Always worse in Canada and Alaska. I remember even in a little fuel efficient basic four-wheeler carefully planning gas/bathroom to avoid stopping in Illinois and some of the other more expensive states, and holding out to cross into less expensive state before stopping. The dog(s) were not happy sometimes. Hope prices don't get that way again because people really suffered. A lot of people lost their trucks, houses, etc. For awhile, the company drivers actually did better than the owner-operators. Some drivers resorted to selling fuel out of their tanks and letting their mileage slip a little to make up costs. Some companies mandated no idling, so no heat or AC during sleep (unless co-drivers). The fuel surcharges the companies finally started paying to the O/O helped, but for some it wasn't enough to cover added costs, or it was too late :cry A lot of transport capacity and expertise were lost because of drivers quitting or being forced out of the industry. And, of course, added costs are *always* passed on to consumers.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

TimeWarpWife

Our local Costco gas is still holding at $2.89 a gallon, which is actually .02 less than it was a few weeks ago. Most other local gas costs $3.00+ a gallon. Sadly, everything in the grocery store keeps going up and up. I don't see how those living from paycheck-to-paycheck or are on fixed incomes are able to buy food now, much less how they'll survive later this year and the next if prices keep rising. :ohno The Communist Democrats obviously don't care because not only are they not doing anything to stop it, they're knowingly allowing it to happen, but then maybe that's their plan. :furious

Last edited:

Batman

My wife and I heard on something yesterday that gas prices will likely increase due to the hurricane and also for the 3 day weekend. Who knows if either is true but the hyper sensitivity of gas pump prices is terrible. Of course, America is heavily shielded from the price per gallon/litre that is experience virtually everywhere else......other than places like NewChiAngeles cities and rogue states of extremely ludicrous gas taxes.

ChildofLight

My wife and I heard on something yesterday that gas prices will likely increase due to the hurricane and also for the 3 day weekend. Who knows if either is true but the hyper sensitivity of gas pump prices is terrible. Of course, America is heavily shielded from the price per gallon/litre that is experience virtually everywhere else......other than places like NewChiAngeles cities and rogue states of extremely ludicrous gas taxes.
Gas prices always increases on holidays.

Ghoti Ichthus

A gallon of regular gas is $3.39 at most places here in southern Illinois, although I have seen it higher when traveling around. A year ago we were paying $1.99 to 2:29. It would have been about 30 cents a gallon lower but Illinois doubled its state gas tax about a year or so ago.

If you're close enough, cross over to Missouri and save $0.10 to $0.40 a gallon. Maybe more since your gas tax went up.

ChildofLight

Been buying Cheerios in the 16 oz. box which said large size in big type across the top. This past week I bought Cheerios with the big type of large size across the top in a 12 oz box. No other larger boxes to be seen. Knew something was going to change as there was a coupon for the 16 oz box with a $1.00 off.

TimeWarpWife

Went to the grocery store yesterday and saw bags and bags of what were supposed to be regular size carrots that were all spindly looking. They were definitely not like the normal large bright orange carrots the store normally sells. Maybe it's because of the drought? :idunno All I could think was this isn't looking good. In addition, the shelves aren't fully stocked as they used to be either ~ I was there around 1PM, so I guess they could have sold out of those things, and it was fairly busy. But, I've been there around 9AM in the morning and there were empty shelves too. Also, our local fast food restaurants have been scaling back what they're offering. Our local Popeye's all no longer have my favorite onion rings and Cajun rice on their menus.

Ghoti Ichthus

Went to the grocery store yesterday and saw bags and bags of what were supposed to be regular size carrots that were all spindly looking. They were definitely not like the normal large bright orange carrots the store normally sells. Maybe it's because of the drought? :idunno All I could think was this isn't looking good. In addition, the shelves aren't fully stocked as they used to be either ~ I was there around 1PM, so I guess they could have sold out of those things, and it was fairly busy. But, I've been there around 9AM in the morning and there were empty shelves too. Also, our local fast food restaurants have been scaling back what they're offering. Our local Popeye's all no longer have my favorite onion rings and Cajun rice on their menus.

It was just the Labor Day weekend and a lot of stuff just didn't happen because of people scheduled and calling off lat week of August plus the weekend and the day or two after. Might take a week or two to catch up. There's a bunch of wuhan virus going on now, too. And, as you mentioned, the drought could be playing a part.

Dear God, please let the shortages be due to "usual" things and quickly resolved.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

heisable2

My second cousin said he priced some cedar boards and plywood. He asked a friend about working on a balcony repair and when got the quote he was shocked. The cedar DOUBLED IN PRICE as well as plywood in 1 weeks time.
Meanwhile I’m writing down each individual food purchase price to check on difference coming up down the road.
Learn to can and go to the nearest farmers market and stock up on fruit and vegetables. When there's a sale on chicken, buy a bunch and can it. If there's a sale on whole turkeys, buy one or two, cook it and then can the meat. I've done this and the meat tastes really good. Boil the bones and make some soup and add some of those vegetables that you just bought at the Farmers market. Buy some wine barrels and learn how to grow potatoes. My ancestors were Russian and they would eat potatoes all winter long.

I believe there was a song years ago that said don't worry be happy now. God doesn't want us to worry. We may just have to make do with what we have. The bartering system may come in handy again. During world war II they had victory gardens. I'm not sure I want to dig up my front yard to start a garden, but you can start small and grow in large pots.

As far as finding wood to build things go to YouTube and see how they built a small house/shed with pallets. I even saw how pallets were used to build a patio. The pallets were even used to make chairs. Or maybe find an old barn and use the wood from it to build something that you need.

Lastly, I remember when I was a child my mother would tell me to eat everything on my plate because they were starving children in China. How many have you heard that line? So toss out less and use more. I've made garbage soup before. I saved on my leftovers and put them in containers in my freezer and when I had enough I pulled them all out he got some broth and put in the leftovers. It's the best soup I've ever eaten.

Ghoti Ichthus

Lastly, I remember when I was a child my mother would tell me to eat everything on my plate because they were starving children in China. How many have you heard that line? So toss out less and use more. I've made garbage soup before. I saved on my leftovers and put them in containers in my freezer and when I had enough I pulled them all out he got some broth and put in the leftovers. It's the best soup I've ever eaten.

My parents would tell us the same thing. One of my siblings put dinner in an envelope, sealed it, and addressed it to the starving children in China. I don't remember right now if said envelope made it to the mailbox or not.

But the licking that was doled out was epic :eek :lol

ChildofLight

Learn to can and go to the nearest farmers market and stock up on fruit and vegetables. When there's a sale on chicken, buy a bunch and can it. If there's a sale on whole turkeys, buy one or two, cook it and then can the meat. I've done this and the meat tastes really good. Boil the bones and make some soup and add some of those vegetables that you just bought at the Farmers market. Buy some wine barrels and learn how to grow potatoes. My ancestors were Russian and they would eat potatoes all winter long.

I believe there was a song years ago that said don't worry be happy now. God doesn't want us to worry. We may just have to make do with what we have. The bartering system may come in handy again. During world war II they had victory gardens. I'm not sure I want to dig up my front yard to start a garden, but you can start small and grow in large pots.

As far as finding wood to build things go to YouTube and see how they built a small house/shed with pallets. I even saw how pallets were used to build a patio. The pallets were even used to make chairs. Or maybe find an old barn and use the wood from it to build something that you need.

I do have a garden but it got out of control due to brother’s health issues and in and out of hospital for 7 months. I planned on canning a lot of carrots and other stuff, but it never happened. With my age, being a caregiver and having chickens and goats it is all beginning to take a toll on me unfortunately. I have the pioneer spirit in me and in my mind I’m 40 but my body certainly says otherwise. Nothing goes to waste as it’s eaten, given to the dog, the chickens or the compost bin.
Yep, my mom said the same thing to me regarding the cleaning my plate. We couldn’t be picky about what we ate either.

Endangered

My wife says I am a fast food junkie. In February a McChicken sandwich was $1.79. Today it is $2.29. A McDouble was $1.99. Today it is $2.59. A Checkerburger was $1.59. Today it is $1.89.
This may not seem to be huge increases but the percent increases are around 20% or greater.
My social security check did not increase by 20% even though I paid into SocSec for 53 years.

Ghoti Ichthus

Hamburger/cheeseburger, fries, and Coke or shake used to be less than $1 including tax at MacDonald's. The burgers were larger than they are now with better meat and buns and more toppings, the fries tasted better and a lot more of them, and drinks were bigger and better quality.

I could pay for a meal for with the pay for 15 minutes worth of work at the gas station back then. If I were working now at the defacto minimum wage around here, it would take the pay for between 30 and 45 minutes of work :mad

Ghoti Ichthus

Be very careful about pallets. Some are treated with preservatives and other toxic chemicals. Some may have been used to transport and/or store toxic stuff, too. And depending on where one gets them or where they've been, there could be nasty bugs and other vermin lurking, been exposed to meth lab/waste, etc.

A pile of pallets behind a building, in a field, etc. may not be abandoned. Be careful to ascertain who owns them and whether or not they are for sale or free.

Ditto all of the above for wooden shipping crates and boxes.

Back