Presbyterian Church doctrine?

Discussion in 'Apostasy in the Local Church' started by maranatha14, Mar 15, 2019.

1. maranatha14

maranatha14 Active Member

Of course not all denominational churches are are "bad". But, one of the reasons I left the denominational church is that many let MEN guide them. They don't look to the Bible as their only authority.

Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu, NM is a beautiful place where Georgia O'Keeffe used to live and paint. It was owned by a couple, Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Pack, who were devout Christians, and members of the Presbyterian Church. When they died in the late 1800s, they left the property to the church, believing it would be a Christian retreat and meeting center.

So here it is, years later. The Presbyterian church has changed their stance on so many things as many denominational churches have. They have become much more Liberal, and are more concerned about being attractive to ALL people.  As a result, even though this is a Presbyterian-run
    ranch, they are having "The Wisdom of the Feminine" conference, embracing the spiritual traditions of Teresa of Avila, Julian of Norwich, Mary Magdalene, The Shekinah, Song of Songs, Bhakti poet Mirabai, Sufi mystic Rabia, Fatima, Tara, Quan Yin, Kali, and indigenous Mother goddesses."

Of course I believe in freedom of religion, but what bothers me is this conference is going on as a teaching of the Presbyterian Church. I believe the Packs would be greatly disappointed. But now days, many "denominations" are bending to current day traditions and trends, not wanting to "offend anyone". They have taken the Bible and mixed it with other teachings, or put it aside altogether.

Talk about the Church of Laodicea!! Anything goes!!

2. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Well-Known Member

I left two Presbyterian churches in Melbourne a few years ago. Not like the above. The liberal ones joined the liberal Methodists and Congregationalists to become the Uniting Church of Australia, which proudly ordains lesbians as pastors.
    The conservative ones I left were fundamentalists but unfortunately worshipped at the feet of John Calvin, and preached his heretical gospel. It is next to impossible to find a church in Melbourne which has not succumbed to the Grsat Apostasy.

3. JSTyler

JSTyler Well-Known Member

In the US the denomination is split in a similar fashion. What was once part of the Presbyterian Church and is now the more liberal faction calls themselves Presbyterian Church USA. They are far gone, heretical and apostate. I can't imagine or understand how any fundamental, evangelical Christ follower can still identify with them and claim to have any knowledge of their Bible. Although many of them consider "The Message" to be their bible. That shines light on a big part of the problem. It is a terrible, new-age paraphrase developed by a popular Presy USA, "pastor".

The other more "conservative" faction calls themselves Presbyterian Church In America. They in large part do bend the knee to Calvinism, more often to hyper-calvinism.

We attended a PCA church, helped plant it in fact, and it was actually normal and fundamental at first, until the pastor was ordained and it became an official PCA body. After a few years it went hyper-calvanistic and became unrecognizable.

Our experience with dealing with the PCA churches now proves that they too are embracing heresy and apostasy in ever greater quantity. Not all of them, but too many for comfort. We see things like Beer in Ministry programs, widespread embrace of amillennialism, preterism, replacement theology, dominionism and amazingly enough, the teaching that hell is only temporary. One of the largest and once most conservative PCA congregations in the area now has a large contingent of their members that push the idea that after a short period in hell, the lost simply go "poof" and are gone for all of eternity.

We have good friends that have left both, praise God! Sadly we have more that see no problems at all. Their lack of discernment testifies to the broad way and breaks our hearts as they are extremely hard to reason with.

4. ozaprah

ozaprah Well-Known Member

Is David Reagan Presbyterian by any chance? He's a conditionalist.

(Mods - please note, I'm not promoting it, only posing a question and pointing out a fact :mod )

Beer in Ministry huh... I might have to research that one.

pixelpusher and JSTyler like this.
  5. JSTyler

This one is new to me. I had to look him up and, I didn't know the term conditionalist, you have learned me something new. Thanks! I love new things.

Yeah, this one got me. It has not been every PCA connected church by any stretch, but enough of them to make one wonder, three that I remember right off the top of my head. The first exposure (we run a camp/retreat center as volunteers) to this, I actually had an inquirer get so angry with me for questioning the practice, he pressed his nose to mine and all but invited me to go to fisticuffs over it. I'm a pretty big dude with biker-ish/bear-ish physical qualities, he was more kitten-ish. I burst into laughter and told him to go ahead and swing away, and that I wouldn't so much as lift a finger to defend myself (which is true, I'm actually a gentle bunny of man...still manly but bunny-ish) but that I would call the sheriff and make proper introductions after the rambunctious activities.

All that to say, the whole booze in ministry thing was important enough to this group, one was ready to beat on a brother in Christ, the rest were happy to cheer it on and then later commence to run down the ministry we're part of.

To be fair too, we have a group of "internationals" that are PCA affiliated and they come, are kind, generous and respectful and represent Jesus Christ wonderfully.

6. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

This is some info I found. https://christinprophecy.org/about/#Purpose

pixelpusher, JSTyler and Lynn like this.
  7. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

pixelpusher, JSTyler and Lynn like this.
  8. ozaprah

Slayed by the spirits perhaps?

9. JSTyler

I see what you did there :groan

:D

lightofmylife, pixelpusher and Lynn like this.
  10. ozaprah

JST, where was your sunset pic taken?

11. JSTyler

First, how'd you know that it was a sunset and not a sunrise? I'm seriously curious as I don't know that I would have recognized the difference. Your observation skills are keen.

It's over the rolling hills of central Maryland. I've watched hundreds of sunsets in the exact same spot and never once, have I seen one that was similar. You're welcome to a larger version.

And, I love the shot you're using. You took it?

Lynn, lightofmylife and pixelpusher like this.
  12. ozaprah

Sunrise, sunset... Um... lucky guess. :D

Mine... if you go from Maryland through the center of the earth you'll likely come out at the place of my sunset! Same sun though. It's from my childhood hometown of Busselton in Geographe Bay, Western Australia on the beach I like to call my 'happy place'. Lots of good memories there.

13. pixelpusher

pixelpusher Well-Known Member

Y'all's beach and hills shots are very nice indeed, but I think Maranatha14 may have you both beat with that rainbow... ; )

We were attending a small country church whenever our old Pastor would guest preach there. The sign said Presbyterian, but it was regular church more or less like you'd expect, I never heard anything weird. Then they joined the PCUSA conference, and quit asking him to preach! Hmmm.

JSTyler, Lynn and lightofmylife like this.
  14. JSTyler

Nu-huh, my pixels are better than their pixels! :p

I love taking pictures and playing with Photoshop but I do not consider myself to be a photographer.

Yeah, it's hmmm, alright. I do readily admit that all of my information is anecdotal but when a pattern is clearly consistent, it's concerning. "_____-ism's" have a way of tainting everything.

lightofmylife likes this.
  15. maranatha14

maranatha14 Active Member

Thank you for commenting on my rainbow! I want you to know, I took it in my backyard. We had this incredible double rainbow last Summer, and everyone who lives in our north valley saw it. All the photos taken were great, and all from different points of view. This was my view from my back patio. It just screamed "I am the Lord your God!" I LOVE His creation, and am constantly taking pictures of it.

lightofmylife likes this.