Post-Conavirus World

How likely is the church to retain its attendance and more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Barring the rapture does not happen first, do you think all believers will come back to church when the doors open? Or do you think they will trickle back in? Do you think some will never come back because of fear of the virus?

Although I do believe wholheartedly that God is able to bring great good out of bad situation, I also believe there are nefarious purposes behind the Coronavirus. The economy taking a dive, families being stretched to their limits or beyond them, increased domestic crimes, increased murders, food shortages, and others just to name a few. One that also may be affected is church-goer retention. My opinion, is that some churches will retain their previous attendance and even more. But many will take a dive. Those that were not really being fed and nourshed properly may forego coming back for scraps. Satan has always tried to hinder the church. This situation will be no different. If one is not being fed at home, during the crisis, they are likely to develop the habit of finding something else to feed on.

antitox

I lean toward them trickling back in because they will miss not being there. Maybe that's because my church, though small, is committed. I'm sure some churches may lose people, but this corona problem has had some positive effects out there I've heard. I could be wrong, but I'm back in my church.

ItIsFinished!

Barring the rapture does not happen first, do you think all believers will come back to church when the doors open? Or do you think they will trickle back in? Do you think some will never come back because of fear of the virus?

Although I do believe wholheartedly that God is able to bring great good out of bad situation, I also believe there are nefarious purposes behind the Coronavirus. The economy taking a dive, families being stretched to their limits or beyond them, increased domestic crimes, increased murders, food shortages, and others just to name a few. One that also may be affected is church-goer retention. My opinion, is that some churches will retain their previous attendance and even more. But many will take a dive. Those that were not really being fed and nourshed properly may forego coming back for scraps. Satan has always tried to hinder the church. This situation will be no different. If one is not being fed at home, during the crisis, they are likely to develop the habit of finding something else to feed on.
You are correct.

kathymendel

I believe that a lot of older parishioners will wait a while to see what happens with all of this socializing again, before they head back for the pews. So, while they may not stay away permanently, they will bide their time a bit.

Here is my problem: My pastor, during all this time, has not preached one sermon on-line about the end times and current events pertaining to end times. He has not preached the Blessed Hope of Christ's return for us.................. leaving many, I fear, with no hope at all. He claims it is too controversial to preach on................. I say it is a subject that he he is required and owes his flock to preach on. I don't know that I want to go back to my church now. I have been listening online to another church that is only three miles further away from my home, who HAS been preaching whole-heartedly on the rapture and end times. I'm thinking when I do go back to sitting in a real pew, it may very possibly be at this other church.

Jette_516

I believe that a lot of older parishioners will wait a while to see what happens with all of this socializing again, before they head back for the pews. So, while they may not stay away permanently, they will bide their time a bit.

Here is my problem: My pastor, during all this time, has not preached one sermon on-line about the end times and current events pertaining to end times. He has not preached the Blessed Hope of Christ's return for us.................. leaving many, I fear, with no hope at all. He claims it is too controversial to preach on................. I say it is a subject that he he is required and owes his flock to preach on. I don't know that I want to go back to my church now. I have been listening online to another church that is only three miles further away from my home, who HAS been preaching whole-heartedly on the rapture and end times. I'm thinking when I do go back to sitting in a real pew, it may very possibly be at this other church.
Same with my home church. I’ve asked the Lord to help me decide whether to stay or if it is time to go. Our church is cold and cliquish, but my family has attended for 47 years. That’s not a reason to stay, but it is a bible preaching, mission supporting church, but I feel that it is dead in spirit and fellowship.

I’ve asked our preacher about end times topics, but he avoids them. He says he doesn’t feel comfortable preaching or teaching them because of lack of knowledge. I’m beginning to think it’s because he is tied to the things of this world. He constantly references pop culture and his board game group in his sermons. He also has a six year old son. I feared raising my kids in this world and he seems to look forward to soccer most of all. I’m sorry I sound so critical. It may be another sign that I need to find a new church home.

Heavenly Father, I want to go home. But I am thankful that you are waiting on those last souls to turn to you. Help your church to endure and remain hopeful as we serve you. In Jesus’ name and according to your will I ask, Amen

mikhen7

Same with my home church. I’ve asked the Lord to help me decide whether to stay or if it is time to go. Our church is cold and cliquish, but my family has attended for 47 years. That’s not a reason to stay, but it is a bible preaching, mission supporting church, but I feel that it is dead in spirit and fellowship.

I’ve asked our preacher about end times topics, but he avoids them. He says he doesn’t feel comfortable preaching or teaching them because of lack of knowledge. I’m beginning to think it’s because he is tied to the things of this world. He constantly references pop culture and his board game group in his sermons. He also has a six year old son. I feared raising my kids in this world and he seems to look forward to soccer most of all. I’m sorry I sound so critical. It may be another sign that I need to find a new church home.

Heavenly Father, I want to go home. But I am thankful that you are waiting on those last souls to turn to you. Help your church to endure and remain hopeful as we serve you. In Jesus’ name and according to your will I ask, Amen
If I were you, for families sake, I would stay peripherally interested. But I would begin to pray about finding another local fellowship unless you could begin to mentor him with your knowledge. A pastor who states he has a "lack of knowledge" is doing so because he does not desire to seek knowledge or preach all of God's word. God gives us wisdom liberally.

ItIsFinished!

Amen.
Go where the Lord leads.
I do not see how any preacher wouldn't preach/teach anything considered "controversial " .
The Gospel is controversial and an offense to some people.
Does he (?"They") preach the Gospel??

I think many "preachers" don't preach/teach the end times/last days , because alot of them don't believe in it , or most of it.
Some just don't grasp it , therefore they are not equipped to preach/teach the topic/subject matter.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Hubby and I are struggling with this. We will be going back, because the bible says don't forsake it, but we are not looking forward to it. Assigned parking and seating, no handshakes, no hugs, face masks worn by the majority of the congregation covering up our smiles and muffling our singing. How will we even recognize each other? Since we have two services, we struggle with remembering names and faces as it is. We are bummed. Also, our pastor has also preached on everything but the end times during this whole thing. I love him, but how can he avoid what is obviously on everybody's mind? So we are going to sit there with masks on and pretend like nothing's wrong and sermons as usual?
Ostrich city!!!!!:ostrich

kathymendel

Amen.
Go where the Lord leads.
I do not see how any preacher wouldn't preach/teach anything considered "controversial " .
The Gospel is controversial and an offense to some people.
Does he (?"They") preach the Gospel??

I think many "preachers" don't preach/teach the end times/last days , because alot of them don't believe in it , or most of it.
Some just don't grasp it , therefore they are not equipped to preach/teach the topic/subject matter.
Scotty, that is exactly what my daughter and are thinking............... ALL of God's Word is controversial!!!!!!! But, they preach on most of it.
So, why not about the end times, rapture and tribulation???? We've been attending this church for three and a half years now. Members for three years.............. and, not once has he preached on it. I asked where the church stood on this, and he said we believe in it but it's too controversial so we don't get into it. Had I known that I would have never become a member. (Guess I should have asked beforehand, huh?) So, yeah, we will for sure be visiting this other church we found online when we safely can, and check them out.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Scotty, that is exactly what my daughter and are thinking............... ALL of God's Word is controversial!!!!!!! But, they preach on most of it.
So, why not about the end times, rapture and tribulation???? We've been attending this church for three and a half years now. Members for three years.............. and, not once has he preached on it. I asked where the church stood on this, and he said we believe in it but it's too controversial so we don't get into it. Had I known that I would have never become a member. (Guess I should have asked beforehand, huh?) So, yeah, we will for sure be visiting this other church we found online when we safely can, and check them out.
Ours did just one, two part Bible study on 2 weeknights entitled "The Premillenial Return of Christ" and yeah, it was about as earth shattering and informative as you would think. Just a big, panned-out overview of everything, with one or two mentions of the Rapture and nothing about it being pre-trib. I really do love him because he isn't afraid of preaching anything else. And his sermons are usually challenging. But wow was that disappointing. The worst part was biting my tongue during the questions and answers afterward! :furious

Last edited:

mikhen7

Nearly half of churchgoers say they haven't watched any online service in past 4 weeks

Nearly half of churchgoers haven't watched an online service in the last four weeks, and among those who have, only 40% say they've been watching services from their regular home church, according to recent polling data.

The new data from the Barna Group was highlighted in a blog post by Carey Nieuwhof, a former lawyer and founding pastor of Connexus Church in Ontario, Canada.

In the post, Nieuwhof noted that 48% of churchgoers reported that they had not watched any church online in the last four weeks. Less than half of the remaining 52% who did watch church online said they watched the service of their own church, with a “surprising 23%” reporting that they streamed a different church online, Nieuwhof said.

And while some church leaders have been clamoring for churches to be allowed to reopen their buildings to re-start in-person services, Nieuwhof said research also shows that not everyone plans on rushing back to the pews.

“As tempting as it will be to reopen the doors and believe everyone is coming back, the data (right now) shows that’s probably not the case,” Nieuwhof noted. “To begin, social distancing makes full rooms impossible and, until it’s safe to do mass gatherings, unwise. Full rooms are months away, if not longer.”

He cited recent polling data from personal growth platform Gloo from thousands of church leaders showing that there is little consensus on when it will be “safe” to gather again in public.

Only 21.5% of pastors said a low community level of coronavirus cases would be a good time for them to reopen for services again. Some 17% said only when social distancing and stay at home guidelines are lifted, while 14% said when local businesses are open.

Another 8% noted that the opening of local restaurant seating would be a good sign to reopen. Smaller percentages of pastors said they first wanted to see either widely available testing, the reopening of schools, or a vaccine before they would hold in-person services.

Some 15% required all of those conditions to be met, while some 10% said they just weren’t sure when they would reopen.

“Prepare yourself for the emotional letdown of a staggered and less than optimal return. I know what it feels like to be hoping for a full room in normal conditions and seeing empty seats,” Nieuwhof wrote to church leaders.

“That may be the reality for a while to come. My guess is a lot of leaders are struggling with the lack of ‘normal’ more deeply than they realize. Get counseling, talk to a friend, pray and prepare yourself for a longer period of disruption than you want. That’s what leadership requires sometimes,” he noted.

Nieuwhof further noted that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has fast-tracked the digital shift in many industries, including the church world, and predicts that “growing churches in the future will become digital organizations with physical expressions, not physical organizations with a digital presence.”

“I realize there will be many who push back against this, but it’s foolish to ignore the fact that people connect more easily online and often admit the truth more readily online than they do in-person (that might not be right, but, as this Stanford research shows, it is often true),” he wrote. “To put digital church back on the shelf in the new normal is to ignore the greatest opportunity the church today has to reach people.”

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...tched-any-online-service-in-past-4-weeks.html

mikhen7

For some that is the case, I understand.

Looks like a return to fellowship for many will be slow or many churches will indeed lose some churchgoers. The issue is the ministries. It is a known fact that there is much less giving and supporting of local ministries by those who simply tune in for a sermon. So this is disheartening. Hopefully it will not hold fast. Our church is fine financially so I am not concerned, but many others may run into financial issues or have to limit local ministry. The church is to not forsake the assembling together and even more so we are to gather as we see the day of the Lord approaching,
Hebrews 10:23–25 (NKJV)

23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Jan51

and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Now, from today's perspective, I just saw that phrase in a new light for the first time--might it be prophetic? That if we are extremely close to the rapture and tribulation, that God, knowing the churches would be shut down and have trouble reopening, told us ahead of time that it would be especially important at this time to keep on getting together???

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that I want to go back to my church now. I have been listening online to another church that is only three miles further away from my home, who HAS been preaching whole-heartedly on the rapture and end times. I'm thinking when I do go back to sitting in a real pew, it may very possibly be at this other church.
If it were I, I'd be getting the very real impression that God was directing me to this other church! Just saying.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
For some that is the case, I understand.

Looks like a return to fellowship for many will be slow or many churches will indeed lose some churchgoers. The issue is the ministries. It is a known fact that there is much less giving and supporting of local ministries by those who simply tune in for a sermon. So this is disheartening. Hopefully it will not hold fast. Our church is fine financially so I am not concerned, but many others may run into financial issues or have to limit local ministry. The church is to not forsake the assembling together and even more so we are to gather as we see the day of the Lord approaching,
Hebrews 10:23–25 (NKJV)

23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
You are absolutely correct, Mike! A church cannot fulfill the role of the Church via social media. While Carey Nieuwhof may be correct to say, "To put digital church back on the shelf in the new normal is to ignore the greatest opportunity the church today has to reach people," he is wrong to suggest that such a "church" will fulfill the functions that God created the Church to perform. There can be no true koinonia in a digital church.