Popular Megachurch Pastor Says the Ten Commandments Don’t Apply to Christians Anymore

Kem

Citizen
Megachurch Pastor Andy Stanley doesn’t believe the Ten Commandments apply to modern-day Christians.
He seems to be plainly saying the commands don't apply to Christians. He apparently is not saying one has to obey them to be saved so we are left with the fact that he doesn't believe we should pay attention to those things that God calls right and those God calls wrong. This in itself is a big red flag in my opinion. One who claims to be redeemed and who claims to love the Lord will want to please Him. Yes we trust the Lord to keep us saved, not our works, but we should desire to do those things that please Him and avoid sin. The God of the OT is the same God of the NT and the same things still either please or offend Him.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Remember the purpose of the law brothers and sisters. Here is a couple of passages.

Romans 7:7–12 (NKJV): What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

The law reflects the holy and just nature of God. Paul also states, Romans 8:1–4 (NKJV): 8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

And again, Galatians 3:21–25 (NKJV): Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

The law is an instrument that reveals to the sinner that he/she has sinned against the Lord God Amighty, and is on a road to hell. Jesus fulfilled it for us who believe by keeping it faithfully in the ways God intended. The law cannot save, it only condemns. Our salvation is by grace through faith alone. However, the sting of the law never departs from our hearts. Through it we know what is just, right, and pure. As Gods children, we are to respect Him and His holiness. The Holy Spirit of life is our guide in this life. He teaches us so much more than a set of laws can. Even in our lives the law has served its purpose. It has revealed our separation from God through the conviction of the Spirit. We agreed, we listened, and we repented. For this one reason alone it should be respected and placed in every public place it can be. Satan, his minions, and those opposed to God detest the 10 commandments.. They want none of it because they are opposed to God. It serves then to draw one to the foot of the cross or to reject God altogether. By the Ten words, God separates the dark from the light. But He still gives it to those in the darkness as an invitation to seek Him for forgiveness. God is good and He is also just.

I do believe Andy Stanley needs to be very careful about his theology of late.

Amethyst

I love Charles so much. Why do you think he doesn't rebuke Andy for some of the things he teaches?

Even if he were to rebuke Andy rather in private, he still comes to his church and vice-versa occasionally and seem united.... rather than saying "I disagree with Andy on this or that issue."

Jerry Freeman

Ten Commandments Plaques Pulled From School Walls In Muldrow, Oklahoma
By Hunter Stuart
Hoping to avoid a costly legal drama, a public high school in Muldrow, Okla., late last week pulled down all the Ten Commandments plaques that had been posted on classroom walls.
"When it's clearly decided, there's no point in continuing to fight a losing battle," Muldrow Schools attorney Jerry Richardson told CBS local affiliate News On 6.
The move was announced Monday night at an emotional school board meeting, where county residents arrived with Bibles in hand and Christian sayings emblazoned on their cars and clothing, reported area news outlet Southwest Times Record.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ten-commandments-oklahoma-muldrow_n_3279658
In 1962 prayer was banned from the public schools by the Supreme Court.
I say pray anyway. Everyone everywhere.