Pope Francis Laments ‘Impotence’ of United Nations in Stopping Ukraine War

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
ROME — Pope Francis said Wednesday that the ongoing atrocities in Ukraine demonstrate the “impotence” of the United Nations to curb violence and protect the innocent.

“Today we often hear about ‘geopolitics,’” the pontiff told the crowd gathered for his weekly general audience in the Vatican. “But unfortunately, the dominant logic are the strategies of the most powerful countries to affirm their own interests, extending their area of economic influence, or ideological influence, and/or military influence.”

“We are seeing this with the war,” Francis continued, while decrying “the colonization of the most powerful” over their weaker neighbors.

Referring to his recent trip to Malta, the pope said that the island nation “represents the rights and power of the ‘small’ nations, small but rich in history and civilization, that should lead toward another logic – that of respect and freedom – the logic of respect and also the logic of freedom, of the coexistence of differences.”

https://www.breitbart.com/national-...ce-of-united-nations-in-stopping-ukraine-war/

The pope wants a one world government with a military that has the power and authority to keep all the nations in line.

NewWine2020

ROME — Pope Francis said Wednesday that the ongoing atrocities in Ukraine demonstrate the “impotence” of the United Nations to curb violence and protect the innocent.

“Today we often hear about ‘geopolitics,’” the pontiff told the crowd gathered for his weekly general audience in the Vatican. “But unfortunately, the dominant logic are the strategies of the most powerful countries to affirm their own interests, extending their area of economic influence, or ideological influence, and/or military influence.”

“We are seeing this with the war,” Francis continued, while decrying “the colonization of the most powerful” over their weaker neighbors.

Referring to his recent trip to Malta, the pope said that the island nation “represents the rights and power of the ‘small’ nations, small but rich in history and civilization, that should lead toward another logic – that of respect and freedom – the logic of respect and also the logic of freedom, of the coexistence of differences.”

https://www.breitbart.com/national-...ce-of-united-nations-in-stopping-ukraine-war/

The pope wants a one world government with a military that has the power and authority to keep all the nations in line.

"power and authority to keep all the nations in line."

So, the Pope thinks a world-wide "police State' would be a great idea....what could possibly go wrong! :)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

Speaking of impotence:

The Pope is the Bishop of Rome and both Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox Churches recognize the Primacy of Rome, so why doesn't HE do something?!!! :tappingfoot

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

It's more of a 3rd world welfare program from what I've seen.

From what I've seen, the UN "peacekeeping missions" are havens for rapists, pedophiles, extortionists, sadists, bullies, thieves, etc., etc., etc.

There are reasons why so many people spit on the ground or make derogatory hand gestures when they talk of the "blue helmets" :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
From what I've seen, the UN "peacekeeping missions" are havens for rapists, pedophiles, extortionists, sadists, bullies, thieves, etc., etc., etc.

There are reasons why so many people spit on the ground or make derogatory hand gestures when they talk of the "blue helmets" :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry

And they get paid much more than they would ever be able to earn in the countries they're selected from while committing their mayhems.

athenasius

Speaking of impotence:

The Pope is the Bishop of Rome and both Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox Churches recognize the Primacy of Rome, so why doesn't HE do something?!!! :tappingfoot
not quite. The Ukrainians are neither Catholic or Orthodox but somewhere in between and they mostly land on the Catholic side. While having an Eastern Orthodox "flavour" to their services. As for the Russian Orthodox Churches, they are engaging in dialogue but they don't see the Pope as the leader of their denomination at all. That was and still is one of the sticking points.

The great Schism that separated the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics in 1054 hasn't been fully settled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic–Eastern_Orthodox_relations#Schism_and_estrangement

that article goes into it in depth and explains the weird mixture of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

I remember my Russian Orthodox mother in law explaining this to me once. I had to look it up because I can't remember her explanation, but this quote is exactly what she told me.

There is a listing of these Eastern Catholic Churches. and an explanation of how they differ from regular Catholic, -- while keeping some Orthodox traditions within their churches.

They are definitely NOT Orthodox, and they are closest to Catholics.

And this is an important point because

---the Pope doesn't have ANY jurisdiction over the Russian Orthodox church while he has some limited authority in the Ukrainian church.

It means that the Ukrainians are NOT UNITED with Russia one bit theologically. They are actually Catholics with an orthodox flavour.

That is extremely significant in light of Putin's war on the Ukraine and his willingness to wipe them out. They are doctrinally DIFFERENT from Russian Orthodoxy.

VERY different and not the same at all.

Putin in his "Russia first and Russian Orthodoxy first" attitude may actually be "cleaning house" as he wipes out that "unorthodox" church as he might see it and that lines up with his use of the Black Madonna flight over the Ukraine before he took the Crimea.

Here's that quote from the link abovew, and you'll see the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church second on the list.

"Despite the failure of Florence, relations were fairly strong in the following centuries. The Eastern Catholic Churches emerged out of a movement which sought to enter full communion with the Pope while retaining elements of their traditional liturgical practices and canonical rules. There are a range of Eastern Catholic Churches including (but not limited to):

• Melkite Greek Catholic Church
  • Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
  • Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
  • Chaldean Catholic Church
  • Maronite Church
  • Armenian Catholic Church
  • Syro-Malankara Catholic Church

Many Orthodox have criticised what they pejoratively call 'Uniatism', as an inadequate method of healing the split. Leading Orthodox theologian and bishop Kallistos Ware has described this approach by Catholics, especially the Society of Jesus, as a "Trojan horse policy". In fact, Archpriest Vladislav Tsypin has even claimed that today this is the primary factor preventing the Orthodox and Catholics from fostering better relations.

Those in favour of the Uniates, generally Catholics, look at these churches as a bridge between the two Christian communities that is working towards full reunification.
"

You can see that the RCC as usual papers over the differences, and it was in that light that they returned the Icon of the Black Madonna to Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church.

You can also see in that quote how the Russian and Greek Orthodox churches view the Ukrainian mixture. NOT favourably.

Putin is EXTREMELY superstitious about icons, and he got hold of it and flew it across and around the total territory of the Ukraine if my memory is correct, and that was because that icon was always supposed to help the Russians in battle. I would suspect the religious side of him views the war as a cleansing of the orthodox church from the Catholic Trojan Horse stuff.

The Pope is busy consecrating the Ukraine to Mary while Putin is flying the Black Madonna about in a jet. Same idea, same evil Ashtoreth.

Caught in between are the Ukrainians.

Ghoti Ichthus

@athenasius
So, from what I understand from your post above, and the article below, is it right to say in Ukraine there's the Ukraine Orthodox Church, breakaway Orthodox Church of Ukraine, Eastern Catholic Church, and Evangelical churches (various denominations together comprising a very tiny minority 2%)?
Thank you.

Ukraine’s Evangelical Seminaries Plead for Help​

“How much longer, Lord?” and “God, break the bones of my enemy” now equal hallelujahs as leaders ask for advocacy and assistance, lamenting the silence by Russian Christians.

"Soloviy and Geychenko joined dozens of other clerics and religious freedom advocates to condemn the damage suffered by 28 churches, mosques, and synagogues. The Religious Freedom Roundtable in Ukraine also tallied the killing of four Orthodox priests and the capture of two more (one released since).
Similarly, CBN reported the kidnapping of one of its affiliated aid workers near Mariupol, a woman named Valentine.
The roundtable’s appeal, signed also by the Ukrainian Bible Society, Youth for Christ, and leaders from the Baptist, Pentecostal, Orthodox, Muslim, and Jewish communities, called for Orthodox Church parishes affiliated with Moscow to break ties with Patriarch Kirill of the Russian Orthodox Church.
It has already happened abroad. Churches in Amsterdam and Estonia have announced separation.
Kirill foresees a tense struggle for Orthodoxy in Ukraine, and a recent survey bears it out. Prior to the war, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) reportedly had about 12,000 parishes, while the breakaway Orthodox Church of Ukraine had about 7,000, notedEurasia Daily Monitor. (Though the Jamestown Foundation journal also noted this tally fails to reflect attendance at each parish and requests for transfers that remain unapproved.)
But a recent poll conducted March 8–9 found that more than half of parishioners in the UOC favor breaking relations.

More
https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...ar-seminary-help-prayer-uets-ots-tci-lts.html

:pray :pray :amen :amen

athenasius

@athenasius
So, from what I understand from your post above, and the article below, is it right to say in Ukraine there's the Ukraine Orthodox Church, breakaway Orthodox Church of Ukraine, Eastern Catholic Church, and Evangelical churches (various denominations together comprising a very tiny minority 2%)?
Thank you.

Ukraine’s Evangelical Seminaries Plead for Help​

“How much longer, Lord?” and “God, break the bones of my enemy” now equal hallelujahs as leaders ask for advocacy and assistance, lamenting the silence by Russian Christians.

"Soloviy and Geychenko joined dozens of other clerics and religious freedom advocates to condemn the damage suffered by 28 churches, mosques, and synagogues. The Religious Freedom Roundtable in Ukraine also tallied the killing of four Orthodox priests and the capture of two more (one released since).
Similarly, CBN reported the kidnapping of one of its affiliated aid workers near Mariupol, a woman named Valentine.
The roundtable’s appeal, signed also by the Ukrainian Bible Society, Youth for Christ, and leaders from the Baptist, Pentecostal, Orthodox, Muslim, and Jewish communities, called for Orthodox Church parishes affiliated with Moscow to break ties with Patriarch Kirill of the Russian Orthodox Church.
It has already happened abroad. Churches in Amsterdam and Estonia have announced separation.
Kirill foresees a tense struggle for Orthodoxy in Ukraine, and a recent survey bears it out. Prior to the war, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) reportedly had about 12,000 parishes, while the breakaway Orthodox Church of Ukraine had about 7,000, notedEurasia Daily Monitor. (Though the Jamestown Foundation journal also noted this tally fails to reflect attendance at each parish and requests for transfers that remain unapproved.)
But a recent poll conducted March 8–9 found that more than half of parishioners in the UOC favor breaking relations.

More
https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...ar-seminary-help-prayer-uets-ots-tci-lts.html

:pray :pray :amen :amen
I decided to look up an expert-- as this article of CT is quite confusing in the way they label the churches.

This is a priest of the Ukrainian Catholic church in Edmonton in this article linked here: https://eeparchy.com/2020/09/08/wha...rthodox-church-and-the-roman-catholic-church/ and he explains the differences in the Ukrainian Catholics and the Ukrainian Orthodox churches.

In his history, he explains how most Ukrainians were Catholic but under Tsar Nicholas they were suppressed in favour of the Russian/Ukrainian Orthodox church. Later under the Soviet regime, the Ukrainian Catholics had to go underground and have only emerged as a visible presence again since the fall of the USSR.

I don't kow anything about the breakaway Orthodox church of the Ukraine but if it's anything like after the Communist Revolution in Russia in 1918 the Russian Orthodox church in North America split away from the Patriarchs in Moscow while retaining the language and identity of being Russian Orthodox.

Since the USSR fell, there's been a lot of infighting (my father in law and mother in law were furious-- the communist side launched a coup, and took over many of the non communist parishes) all around who owns what.

I would guess the breakaway is like that.

But the Ukrainian Catholics are Catholics, just with what they term "eastern rites".