POLL: was Demas a false convert?

Was Demas saved or a false convert?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I think the Word says that sadly, Demas, like many today, having heard the Word, have decided on the temporary benefits of this world, vice the eternal benefits for those who are saved.
2 different teacher listen to and love a lot have opposing views on it.

I used to think what you are saying, but now I’m just not sure.

Andy woods doesn’t believe Paul would ever have welcomed someone so closely into his inner circle if they weren’t a true believer. And that many Christian’s today fall by the wayside because they choose sin over discipleship.

But others teach that Paul never would have said a true believer “chose the world.”

Andy C

2 different teacher listen to and love a lot have opposing views on it.

I used to think what you are saying, but now I’m just not sure.

Andy woods doesn’t believe Paul would ever have welcomed someone so closely into his inner circle if they weren’t a true believer. And that many Christian’s today fall by the wayside because they choose sin over discipleship.

But others teach that Paul never would have said a true believer “chose the world.”
We probably will never know for sure until we take roll call in Heaven.

I can definitely understand Woods point of view as that could easily apply to many today. Since his name is only mentioned 2 times in the NT, there really is not much to go on. If we were supposed to learn about OSAS or backsliding from that brief mention, I would like to believe more info would’ve been added.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
The Apostles walked with Judas for over 3 years, and yet………
Yes I know … I think his POV is that Paul was ferociously protective of the gospel and would’ve vetted someone very cautiously, vs the disciples who were blind to a lot of things

Idk. I just feel like I do automatically assume that Demas was not actually saved when maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to underestimate the power of the world, the flesh and the devil in the life of a real
Christian :hmmm

OTOH wonder if Paul may have worded it differently had Demas actually been saved.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
First John 2:15
Love
not the world , neither the things
that are in the world. If any man love the
world , the love of the Father is not in him.

... love of the Father ; not love for

Second Timothy 4:10

For De'-mas hath forsaken me, having
loved this present world , and is departed
unto Thessalonica ;

Individuals like Judas and Demas are examples
of those who truly didn't count the cost .

One can be deep in the ministry , but not saved.
One can be exposed to and witness the power of Jesus Christ and still reject Him like Judas did.
God puts these examples in His Word for us to learn from .
Don't be like Judas or Demas.

Children of God are in this world , but not of it.
No child of God should ever love this sin soaked
world.
Demas loved the world.

John 15:19

If ye were of the world , the world would
love his own : but because ye are not of the
world , but I have chosen you out of the world,
therefore the world hateth you.

Demas was of the world.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
My only issue with that is that 1 John is written to believers. And if John is instructing to not love the world, doesn’t this indicate it is possible for belkevers to love the world?
And that some during his time were doing just that?

Andy C

My only issue with that is that 1 John is written to believers. And if John is instructing to not love the world, doesn’t this indicate it is possible for belkevers to love the world?
And that some during his time were doing just that?
Yes, believers for a time could love the world. Yes, 1 John was written to believers, and if you read the next few verses immediately after what ItisFinished quoted, you can read the rest of his thoughts on this subject.

1 John 2
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. 18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Yes, believers for a time could love the world
I guess I feel like we try to put a “time frame” on that. Idk.
Yes I expected there to be no consensus but I was interested in others thoughts. :hat

It seems to be much the same pertaining to the Parable of the Sower !

Hol

Worships Him
Hi all :hug

I am reminded of Pastor Woods’ question: “Are you a lot like Lot?”

I certainly don’t know the answer about Dena’s, but I think we are better off trusting OSAS.

Regarding Judas, I have learned that he never believed. Apostle Peter also betrayed our Lord, but his faith didn’t fail. Judas could have repented, but if he never trusted Jesus for salvation, why would he?

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Hi all :hug

I am reminded of Pastor Woods’ question: “Are you a lot like Lot?”

I certainly don’t know the answer about Dena’s, but I think we are better off trusting OSAS.

Regarding Judas, I have learned that he never believed. Apostle Peter also betrayed our Lord, but his faith didn’t fail. Judas could have repented, but if he never trusted Jesus for salvation, why would he?
Peter didn't betray Christ.
Betray isn't even synomous with deny.

OSAS
is only applicable if one is saved.

Carl

I think that a person can fall into sin such that there is no visible evidence of Salvation. The cares of this world and the devil are to powerful for that continual battle.

Back