Politics to Gospel Segue

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I was thinking about this today and I think it would be very helpful for us to discuss because politics are such a hot topic.

What tactics do you guys use to segue a political discussion into the Gospel? Can you give an example?

I tend to be more of an introvert so I would find any advice very helpful!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Well, I'll pick up my bible and throw it at them. The conversation shifts really fast!! :nod

Ok, totally kidding (I must have gotten a good nights rest last night). :lol

Often at the root of political discussion is fear, anxiousness about the future and a lack of trust (often rightly so) in what leader that happens to be in power.

Or a realization of how imperfect human beings, policies or even laws and regulations are.

And, how imperfect our world is.

So from the first point above one can certainly agree that mankind is not perfect and often untrustworthy (even if a good leader is being disparaged, I won't chime in on disparaging that leader but pivot to what the bible says about Who to trust) and as a result of seeing this in various leaders, I personally agree with God's similar assessment and then what He directs people to do. Put their trust in Him, Psalm 118:8-9:

It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in people.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in princes.

Psalm 118:8-9

From there I try to speak on how He is always faithful, faithful in my life, in others and in the ways His Word has shown. That God is worthy to be trusted.

The second to fourth points, I'll pivot from the current imperfect leaders to how the bible speaks on a future perfect leader and government. I'll refer to Isaiah 11 and Isaiah 9:6-7 to show that someday all will be made right again:

Out of the stump of David’s family will grow a shoot—
yes, a new Branch bearing fruit from the old root.
And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and might,
the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
He will delight in obeying the Lord.
He will not judge by appearance
nor make a decision based on hearsay.
He will give justice to the poor
and make fair decisions for the exploited.
The earth will shake at the force of his word,
and one breath from his mouth will destroy the wicked.
He will wear righteousness like a belt
and truth like an undergarment.

In that day the wolf and the lamb will live together;
the leopard will lie down with the baby goat.
The calf and the yearling will be safe with the lion,
and a little child will lead them all.
The cow will graze near the bear.
The cub and the calf will lie down together.
The lion will eat hay like a cow.
The baby will play safely near the hole of a cobra.
Yes, a little child will put its hand in a nest of deadly snakes without harm.
Nothing will hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for as the waters fill the sea,
so the earth will be filled with people who know the Lord.

Isaiah 11:1-9

For a child is born to us,
a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
His government and its peace
will never end.
He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David
for all eternity.
The passionate commitment of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies
will make this happen!
Isaiah 9:6-7

If a person is not a believer in Christ, I'll then talk about how faith in Christ is the door through which one may enjoy this future kingdom and then share the Gospel.

If a person is in Christ I will remind them about these verses of what a Christian has access to (along with the passages above):

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.........“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
John 14:1, 27

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.
vs 16-18

These are just some ideas. As Pixelpusher said....lean on God and His Holy Spirit, we are told that God will help us to say what is needed to say.

Batman

I find it easy to tell people that the Bible does offer real and meaningful guidance on social/political/economic, etc. happenings in our world plus it's also easy to tell them that a lot of the geopolitical, behavioral, and other events and alignments were predicted in the Bible. Keeping the audience and not having them melt down or walk away is not easy!

Brother Albert R.

I was thinking about this today and I think it would be very helpful for us to discuss because politics are such a hot topic.

What tactics do you guys use to segue a political discussion into the Gospel? Can you give an example?

Thanks for asking this great question. I like what Everlasting Life wrote and I am hoping others will respond with more advice. Politics are not my strong point, so I do not have advice in this area. I tell people that I do not want to talk about politicians or political parties but I am more than willing to talk about issues such as abortion. My non Christian friend asked me the other day if I thought it was alright to have innocent children locked up behind bars, I told him that it was never right. I then asked him if he thought it was alright to kill a child before it was born, he said that he could not say that it was wrong or right. I then said that he surprised me, in that he was willing to say that putting an innocent child behind bars was wrong but killing an innocent child in the womb, he was undecided about. It caused him to think a little more when I compared the two issues. I have shared the gospel with him many times, but he is still resisting. Only God can reach the human heart with His love when words fail to do so.
I hope this helps,
God bless,
Brother Albert

Last edited:

Jeff K

Lately, I have been using the movement toward a cashless society to segue into a biblical conversation. "The Bible tells us that the Antichrist will be able to control what you buy and sell - How could that happen unless cash was useles? Are you familiar with the Bible?"

There was a women in my office that was a professing Christian and a stout Democrat as well. She was in my office with another employee, a young man, and politics came up in conversation. I asked her how she as a Christian could support a party who rejects God, supports abortion and several other evil things. After a brief discussion, she left and I then asked the young man, "what are your spiritual beliefs?" We needed up having an hour conversation about the gospel of Christ.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
My concern is that through the misplaced emphasis on politics, the premil/pretrib types (of who many of us on this Forum are), we are becoming Kingdom Now advocates...if not in doctrine, then at least in practice.

My concern is that through the misplaced emphasis on politics, the premil/pretrib types (of who many of us on this Forum are), we are becoming Kingdom Now advocates...if not in doctrine, then at least in practice.
Kingdom now advocates? Not sure I am following you?

crossnote

Kingdom now advocates? Not sure I am following you?
Similar to Dominion Theology where the desire is to set up Christ's Kingdom here on earth.
(from Wiki)..." Kingdom Now theology is a branch of dominion theology which has had a following within Pentecostalism. It attracted attention in the late 1980s. Kingdom Now theology states that although Satan has been in control of the world since the Fall, God is looking for people who will help him take back dominion. "

crossnote

Anyways to your point. One way is to point out the imperfections on both sides (of an issue).
Then point out that those imperfections are due to sin.
Then share the Gospel as the only remedy for man's sinfulness.

Similar to Dominion Theology where the desire is to set up Christ's Kingdom here on earth.
(from Wiki)..." Kingdom Now theology is a branch of dominion theology which has had a following within Pentecostalism. It attracted attention in the late 1980s. Kingdom Now theology states that although Satan has been in control of the world since the Fall, God is looking for people who will help him take back dominion. "
Well I definitely do not believe that. It's heresy. Christ's work is finished. I would argue that God never "lost dominion" of earth. Satan temporarily stole it from man when he tempted Adam and Eve and they committed original sin. God has always been soveriegn however. All that just sounds like another flavor of NAR false teaching.

crossnote

Well I definitely do not believe that. It's heresy. Christ's work is finished. I would argue that God never "lost dominion" of earth. Satan temporarily stole it from man when he tempted Adam and Eve and they committed original sin. God has always been soveriegn however. All that just sounds like another flavor of NAR false teaching.
I didn't intend to imply you believed it. I was just trying to point out what I perceive as a slide by many pre-tribs, in their interest in looking at all the political events, attempt to make sense of them in the light of biblical prophecy but end up pushing for one side politically (conservative vs liberal) or the other, to the point where the kingdoms of this world play a more important role than the Kingdom of Heaven.

to the point where the kingdoms of this world play a more important role than the Kingdom of Heaven.
I understand your concern. It is a shame that the Bible Study and Evangelism categories do not get nearly as much attention as the Politics section. :(

UmbrellaGirl

I find politics and the current global issues to be the perfect segue to the Gospel, as people struggle with anxiety, fear, depression, and grief, they are much more open and willing to listen.