Pink Supermoon!

cchomeschoolmom

I'm not knowledgeable on astronomy, but I read news about blue moons, wolf moons, blood moons, etc. What's the difference on these cause every time I look up there I see a white moon? I've noticed when it appears larger or brighter.
The article said that the full moon in different months have traditional names based on what is going on in nature at that time of year. I think I remember the blood moon being something different maybe a lunar eclipse but I am not completely certain.

LisaJoe1986

The article said that the full moon in different months have traditional names based on what is going on in nature at that time of year. I think I remember the blood moon being something different maybe a lunar eclipse but I am not completely certain.
I read the pink moon is because it is when the creeping phlox are blooming on Earth which are pink.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I'm not knowledgeable on astronomy, but I read news about blue moons, wolf moons, blood moons, etc. What's the difference on these cause every time I look up there I see a white moon? I've noticed when it appears larger or brighter.
From what I know, "blue moons" are the second full moon within a month, "blood moons" are lunar eclipses, a "wolf moon" just indicates what month it's in (like this "pink moon"), and a "super moon" is when the moon is passing closer to earth and so appears larger and brighter.

So, yeah, mostly the full moon, but larger and brighter.

Someone feel free to contradict me if I'm wrong.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
From what I know, "blue moons" are the second full moon within a month, "blood moons" are lunar eclipses, a "wolf moon" just indicates what month it's in (like this "pink moon"), and a "super moon" is when the moon is passing closer to earth and so appears larger and brighter.

Sounds good to me LOL

TheRedeemed

Here’s a list of moon names and their meanings/derivatives. Hope it helps. :hat

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/full-moon-names.html

pixelpusher

It's what Ath said, because the pink flowers come at the same time, and it's April. This one is supposed to be bigger and brighter, and will likely look more orange tinted than pink. Once it passes high enough in the sky, it will appear white as usual, as it gets out of the red dust that inhibits the blue light, which is why it appears orange-reddish when it's low on the horizon. Because when it's in that view, you have a frame of reference for scale, like landscape, it appears huge.