Parents selling children shows desperation of Afghanistan

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
SHEDAI CAMP, Afghanistan (AP) — In a sprawling settlement of mud brick huts in western Afghanistan housing people displaced by drought and war, a woman is fighting to save her daughter.

Aziz Gul’s husband sold the 10-year-old girl into marriage without telling his wife, taking a down-payment so he could feed his family of five children. Without that money, he told her, they would all starve. He had to sacrifice one to save the rest.

Many of Afghanistan’s growing number of destitute people are making desperate decisions such as these as their nation spirals into a vortex of poverty.

https://news.yahoo.com/parents-selling-children-shows-desperation-060506038.html

There's so much suffering in this world. It is hard for me to imagine having young children and having to watch them slowly starve to death and not have a way to procure sustenance for them. I look forward to the Millennial Reign.

Berni

It's so sad, the human cost of all the trouble and strife in the world. Especially when it involves innocent children. My heart breaks for people in these terrible situations. I am fervently praying for Our Lord Jesus to come soon, to take us all, including all these poor innocent children, home. Maranatha, come quickly Lord Jesus. Amen.

MapleLeaf

When my great-grandparents were fleeing Russia someone had offered to adopt my grandfather who was only a toddler at the time. My great-grandparents had absolutely nothing and my great-grandmother's ill health was threatening their ability to enter other countries but they were determined to stay together as family. I often wonder if the offer to adopt was legitimate or something more sinister. I'm so glad they decided to trust God to provide and keep their son. Someone in their village did lose their baby to strangulation while they were fleeing. They had to cross an open, frozen river to get into China and they bundled the baby very tightly to combat the cold and to keep it from crying. I think the choking was accidental as a Mennonite would never intentionally kill someone but they were trying to keep the baby quiet. Crying would have given the entire village away.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
There's a MASH episode with a story like this. A woman kills her baby to quiet him/her so everyone else on the bus wouldn't be given away :frown
SHEDAI CAMP, Afghanistan (AP) — In a sprawling settlement of mud brick huts in western Afghanistan housing people displaced by drought and war, a woman is fighting to save her daughter.

Aziz Gul’s husband sold the 10-year-old girl into marriage without telling his wife, taking a down-payment so he could feed his family of five children. Without that money, he told her, they would all starve. He had to sacrifice one to save the rest.

Many of Afghanistan’s growing number of destitute people are making desperate decisions such as these as their nation spirals into a vortex of poverty.

https://news.yahoo.com/parents-selling-children-shows-desperation-060506038.html

There's so much suffering in this world. It is hard for me to imagine having young children and having to watch them slowly starve to death and not have a way to procure sustenance for them. I look forward to the Millennial Reign.

Do you mean that none of our humanitarian aid that the Taliban stole is being used to feed starving children? No aid flights from Islamic nations? This must be a communications glitch. Somebody notify the Squad immediately!

islamic law/custom says it's OK (encouraged) to sell daughters into marriage. Such marriages are often arranged to forge alliances within/between families and tribes. When circumstances like this happen, selling a daughter is acceptable/encouraged instead of stealing hospitality from a neighbor (literally). An exception to hand-cutting-off for stealing is if someone steals an animal from a neighbor to feed a hungry family, but it's supposed to be last resort. Someone is not supposed to demand retribution or restitution for a neighbor taking an animal under such circumstances, and the qu'ran prescribes hospitality to neighbors. Having marriagable (salable) daughter(s) means it wouldn't be last resort, so what would happen to the person appropriating hospitality would depend on local customs and the benificence (or lack thereof) of the neighbor or leader/judge.

Again (as usual) it's the women and girls that suffer the most . . . :cry

:pray :pray :amen :amen