Parable of the Fig Tree - Arnold Fruchtenbaum

Wings Like Eagles

Wow. Well, I thought it was fantastic even though a few things raised my eyebrows. My pastor said today, "When it comes to prophecy, no one knows everything." That is so true I can see, because we see many of the experts disagreeing. That's why I like to look at much of this like kind of a fun adventure in the Word, rather than something to get dogmatic about and then become upset when A-Someone tells me I am wrong or B- I find out I actually am wrong. :ahaha
Sounds like you have a good grip on what is actually said vs. what is speculation.

One of the dangers of speculating at the margins of what the Bible actually says, is that, sometimes, the speculator becomes so convinced of his/her guesswork, that he/she goes off to the "right or the left". Sometimes, it doesn't even make any logical sense--but is more what the speculator wants to believe-and, as you have noted, we can all be guilty of this. We need to let the whole of the Bible speak to us over and over, along with the tutelage of the Holy Spirit as a way of ensuring that we don't go off "to the right or the left". We also need to be aware of what our biases would be and how they might affect our interpretation. That is the difference between exegesis (letting the Holy Spirit speak to us through the text of the Bible) and eisegesis (i.e. imposing what we want to believe, onto the text). Have a friend who believes that it is very important to pray for correct understanding and His guidance as we approach the word.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Sounds like you have a good grip on what is actually said vs. what is speculation.

One of the dangers of speculating at the margins of what the Bible actually says, is that, sometimes, the speculator becomes so convinced of his/her guesswork, that he/she goes off to the "right or the left". Sometimes, it doesn't even make any logical sense--but is more what the speculator wants to believe-and, as you have noted, we can all be guilty of this. We need to let the whole of the Bible speak to us over and over, along with the tutelage of the Holy Spirit as a way of ensuring that we don't go off "to the right or the left". We also need to be aware of what our biases would be and how they might affect our interpretation. That is the difference between exegesis (letting the Holy Spirit speak to us through the text of the Bible) and eisegesis (i.e. imposing what we want to believe, onto the text). Have a friend who believes that it is very important to pray for correct understanding and His guidance as we approach the word.
I have a good grip today :) I'm sure that I'll need another reminder soon.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
(Matthew 21:21) What mountain was he referring to, because he said "this" mountain, not "a" mountain?
After looking at a map in my Bible :geek ….The Mount of Olives.

Things I pondered about the Mount of Olives:

*Where Jesus sent His disciples to get the colt for His triumphant entry into Jerusalem.
*Where the Garden of Gethsemane is, where He prayed in full submission to the Father.
*Where Jesus gave his Discourse, speaking of His return.

*And, most notable is The Zechariah 14 Prophecy
—The Lord goes forth and fights for His people
—Then His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives
—It splits and and this creates a big valley, dividing the mountain and displacing it
—The believing remnant, who were refined and call on His Name in Chap 13, flee into the “valley of the mountains.” Possibly it is this same valley?

And do you suppose there may be some significance that he used being "thrown into the sea" as the potential fate of that mountain? Or not?
I got pretty stumped on this. But things I noted about the sea:

*In the same Zech 14 Prophecy:
— Verse 8 says, In that Day living waters go out from Jerusalem, flowing into the seas
— In Chap 13 it says, the Fountain of Life is opened for “sin and uncleanness”

*Hebrew word for “sea” also can signify the “great basin” that is immediately in front of the Holy Place (as in the “brazen sea” in 2 Kings 25:13 per my concordance. I also happened upon another instance in 2 Chron 4:8-10)
Limited to my two materials and my very little knowledge, all I know is that the basins are for washing/purifying in preparation.

*In light of the above, I can’t ignore the “glassy sea” in Rev 4:6. Wow. A pure sea of the cleanness of redemption, before His throne!—a sea of forgiveness!

My thought process and attempt to make sense of this:

1)Jesus rode into Jerusalem on His colt, fulfilling prophecy.
2)The common people worship Him, but the Pharisees reject Him. This marks the moment of the official rejection of Yeshua by Israel.
3)He goes into the temple and overthrows the tables where they sell sacrificial doves and exchange money. “It is written that my house is a house of PRAYER! But you have made it into a den of thieves!"
a)In this religious system, what was being robbed from the people? Not just money, but their simple, personal faith and access to relationship with the Lord.
b)To drive this point home, the blind and lame came into the temple, and He healed them, in the temple. The priests and scribes weren’t
happy. Jesus basically tells them it is only the simple, trusting faith of a little child that actually gets you to relationship with God.
4) He lodges in Bethany with the 12, then returns to Jerusalem. On the way, he curses the fruitless fig tree. It withers away. Matthew makes it
sound like it withers right in front of them. In Mark it sounds like they pass by again later and they see it. In either case, they are standing in front
of this fig tree when Jesus gives His teaching.
a) Upon realizing this, I am getting this fantastic image in my head….the disciples, standing there, looking at Jesus and the fig tree in the
foreground, and the Mount of Olives is in the background!
b) Jesus points to the fig tree as He speaks, and then gestures to the Mount of Olives. This is powerful and amazing! I wish I knew what
this all means! Maybe Pastor Adrian can tell me! :lol

My Potentially Very Embarrassing (but I could always stand for some humbling anyway) Guess:

--Couldn’t find a historical significance for Mount of Olives in Old Testament. But I know it was covered with Olive Trees :) If the olive tree is supposed to represent "religious" Israel
--Then possibly the Mount of Olives represents a great big burden of works and religion without access to relationship. And how it robs people.
--Jesus overturns and drives out the works of religion, and shows that God is personally accessible, as He physically demonstrated in the temple.
--If I am correct with this idea, then His physical demonstration of triumph over religion symbolically would be shown in Zech 14.

Maybe His message for Israel in this whole fig tree/mountain/sea teaching is:

--“If you have faith” ---a personal relationship through Yeshua, believing in Him as Messiah)
"and not doubt" (not relying on dead religion, works, others, or your own thinking)
-- “you will not only do what I did to this fig tree” ---?Reject fruitless, religious works?-
-- "but also if YOU shall SAY unto this Mountain", ---If you call on the Name of Yeshua Messiah,
(Side thought here: Whenever we call on His unmatched Name, that Name is also “heard” by the spiritual strongholds around us. And its also heard in our own hearts. Calling on His name, in effect, displaces the "mountain"of burden of dead religion and works.)
--“Be removed and cast into the sea” ---(The words “removed” here is the same verb as in John 15:2 - every branch that doesn’t bear fruit, God
takes away.)--- Uproot that mountain of burden—your sin and your religion by which you try to earn redemption—and cast your care into His Fountain of Living Waters, His purifying, great sea of forgiveness.
--"And all things, whatever you ask in PRAYER" ---that personal relationship, within the temple of YOU, your very own own house of prayer!
"BELIEVING" ---on Yeshua Messiah and who He is and what He did through the cross, being that remnant that flees into Him
--"you shall receive" ---the redemption you are longing for, Israel! What religion can never give you!

Am I even close? Don't feel like you have to address my every point. Or even at all. This was so fun!

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
After looking at a map in my Bible :geek ….The Mount of Olives.

Things I pondered about the Mount of Olives:

*Where Jesus sent His disciples to get the colt for His triumphant entry into Jerusalem.
*Where the Garden of Gethsemane is, where He prayed in full submission to the Father.
*Where Jesus gave his Discourse, speaking of His return.

*And, most notable is The Zechariah 14 Prophecy
—The Lord goes forth and fights for His people
—Then His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives
—It splits and and this creates a big valley, dividing the mountain and displacing it
—The believing remnant, who were refined and call on His Name in Chap 13, flee into the “valley of the mountains.” Possibly it is this same valley?

I got pretty stumped on this. But things I noted about the sea:

*In the same Zech 14 Prophecy:
— Verse 8 says, In that Day living waters go out from Jerusalem, flowing into the seas
— In Chap 13 it says, the Fountain of Life is opened for “sin and uncleanness”

*Hebrew word for “sea” also can signify the “great basin” that is immediately in front of the Holy Place (as in the “brazen sea” in 2 Kings 25:13 per my concordance. I also happened upon another instance in 2 Chron 4:8-10)
Limited to my two materials and my very little knowledge, all I know is that the basins are for washing/purifying in preparation.

*In light of the above, I can’t ignore the “glassy sea” in Rev 4:6. Wow. A pure sea of the cleanness of redemption, before His throne!—a sea of forgiveness!

My thought process and attempt to make sense of this:

1)Jesus rode into Jerusalem on His colt, fulfilling prophecy.
2)The common people worship Him, but the Pharisees reject Him. This marks the moment of the official rejection of Yeshua by Israel.
3)He goes into the temple and overthrows the tables where they sell sacrificial doves and exchange money. “It is written that my house is a house of PRAYER! But you have made it into a den of thieves!"
a)In this religious system, what was being robbed from the people? Not just money, but their simple, personal faith and access to relationship with the Lord.
b)To drive this point home, the blind and lame came into the temple, and He healed them, in the temple. The priests and scribes weren’t
happy. Jesus basically tells them it is only the simple, trusting faith of a little child that actually gets you to relationship with God.
4) He lodges in Bethany with the 12, then returns to Jerusalem. On the way, he curses the fruitless fig tree. It withers away. Matthew makes it
sound like it withers right in front of them. In Mark it sounds like they pass by again later and they see it. In either case, they are standing in front
of this fig tree when Jesus gives His teaching.
a) Upon realizing this, I am getting this fantastic image in my head….the disciples, standing there, looking at Jesus and the fig tree in the
foreground, and the Mount of Olives is in the background!
b) Jesus points to the fig tree as He speaks, and then gestures to the Mount of Olives. This is powerful and amazing! I wish I knew what
this all means! Maybe Pastor Adrian can tell me! :lol

My Potentially Very Embarrassing (but I could always stand for some humbling anyway) Guess:

--Couldn’t find a historical significance for Mount of Olives in Old Testament. But I know it was covered with Olive Trees :) If the olive tree is supposed to represent "religious" Israel
--Then possibly the Mount of Olives represents a great big burden of works and religion without access to relationship. And how it robs people.
--Jesus overturns and drives out the works of religion, and shows that God is personally accessible, as He physically demonstrated in the temple.
--If I am correct with this idea, then His physical demonstration of triumph over religion symbolically would be shown in Zech 14.

Maybe His message for Israel in this whole fig tree/mountain/sea teaching is:

--“If you have faith” ---a personal relationship through Yeshua, believing in Him as Messiah)
"and not doubt" (not relying on dead religion, works, others, or your own thinking)
-- “you will not only do what I did to this fig tree” ---?Reject fruitless, religious works?-
-- "but also if YOU shall SAY unto this Mountain", ---If you call on the Name of Yeshua Messiah,
(Side thought here: Whenever we call on His unmatched Name, that Name is also “heard” by the spiritual strongholds around us. And its also heard in our own hearts. Calling on His name, in effect, displaces the "mountain"of burden of dead religion and works.)
--“Be removed and cast into the sea” ---(The words “removed” here is the same verb as in John 15:2 - every branch that doesn’t bear fruit, God
takes away.)--- Uproot that mountain of burden—your sin and your religion by which you try to earn redemption—and cast your care into His Fountain of Living Waters, His purifying, great sea of forgiveness.
--"And all things, whatever you ask in PRAYER" ---that personal relationship, within the temple of YOU, your very own own house of prayer!
"BELIEVING" ---on Yeshua Messiah and who He is and what He did through the cross, being that remnant that flees into Him
--"you shall receive" ---the redemption you are longing for, Israel! What religion can never give you!

Am I even close? Don't feel like you have to address my every point. Or even at all. This was so fun!
You have done a really good job of meditating on God's Word and studying it for His revelation of the truths He has for you. Doing this with Scripture helps us grow in faith and in the knowledge of our God, resulting in increased depth of appreciation, praise and worship for who He is. And you actually brought out a couple things I had not considered. You have given me something to think about! :thumbup

I will try to post my own thoughts once we get back from a battery of tests on Andrea tomorrow (Wednesday).

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
You have done a really good job of meditating on God's Word and studying it for His revelation of the truths He has for you. Doing this with Scripture helps us grow in faith and in the knowledge of our God, resulting in increased depth of appreciation, praise and worship for who He is. And you actually brought out a couple things I had not considered. You have given me something to think about! :thumbup

I will try to post my own thoughts once we get back from a battery of tests on Andrea tomorrow (Wednesday).
Oh please do take your time. I am very much looking forward to seeing what you have to say. This cursed fig tree has bothered me (and my husband) for years. I really appreciate your giving me a prompt to study on my own. Digging in the Word does increase faith and joy, and I'm there now, thank you! The Holy Spirit and what He does for us....

Praying for your dear wife :pray