Palestinian Olympic official urges athletes to forfeit Israel matches

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Palestinian Olympic official urges athletes to forfeit Israel matches
Rajoub repeated his lament against Arab states that cooperate with Israel in sports, emphasizing that some Israeli sports leagues have activities in the West Bank.
By LAHAV HARKOV
JULY 26, 2021

Palestine Olympic Committee chairman Jibril Rajoub has publicly encouraged Olympic athletes to boycott Israel and forfeit matches against Israelis. Rajoub posted photos of himself with Algerian judoka Fethi Nourine on social media, writing that he appreciates Nourine’s “courageous stance refusing normalization.” Nourine refused to face off against Israel’s Tohar Butbul. “We worked a lot to reach the Olympics... but the Palestinian cause is greater than all of this,” he told Algerian television.

The International Judo Federation suspended Nourine and his coach, Amar Benikhlef, who then lost their Algerian Olympic Committee accreditation. Nourine’s stance “reflects the persistence of the Algerian people with Palestine and all that it has suffered from hostilities and official Israeli terrorism,” Rajoub said in an interview with an Algerian radio station that he posted on his Facebook page.

more............ https://www.jpost.com/arab-israeli-...ges-athletes-to-forfeit-israel-matches-674957

kathymendel

I, for one, am so sick and tired of the Olympics being turned into a stage for politics, that I will never watch them again.
The Olympics should only be what it was intended to be........ a platform to distinguish the strengths and talents of dedicated athletes.
Rather than perform the antics they are now doing, they should be striving to win the medals, and then use their fame to promote their beliefs afterwards.
Why is it we don't see religious protests allowed...........but all of this other protesting is allowed? None of it should be allowed.
Save it for after the Olympics are over. I am hearing that the viewing audience is WAY, way down this year. I can certainly understand why. I hope people
will lose interest and stay away from this - and other sports events - until tptb bring it back to what it was intended to be...... a platform for excellence in sports.
Not a stage for political, or religious, or any other form of protests.

rubyx1

rubyx1
I, for one, am so sick and tired of the Olympics being turned into a stage for politics, that I will never watch them again.
The Olympics should only be what it was intended to be........ a platform to distinguish the strengths and talents of dedicated athletes.
Rather than perform the antics they are now doing, they should be striving to win the medals, and then use their fame to promote their beliefs afterwards.
Why is it we don't see religious protests allowed...........but all of this other protesting is allowed? None of it should be allowed.
Save it for after the Olympics are over. I am hearing that the viewing audience is WAY, way down this year. I can certainly understand why. I hope people
will lose interest and stay away from this - and other sports events - until tptb bring it back to what it was intended to be...... a platform for excellence in sports.
Not a stage for political, or religious, or any other form of protests.
I have been watching the games and have not seen anything crazy or political thus far. I have been rooting for and celebrating the medal winners.

kathymendel

Our athletes turning their back on our flag? The Olympic officials fining women for not wearing bikini bottoms while playing volleyball?
Men competing (unfairly) with women because they claim to be transgender? Other men (competing with men) being taken out of competition because their testosterone levels are too high? Political statements from athletes to the press? You have not seen any of this? What channel are you watching????

rubyx1

rubyx1
Our athletes turning their back on our flag? The Olympic officials fining women for not wearing bikini bottoms while playing volleyball?
Men competing (unfairly) with women because they claim to be transgender? Other men (competing with men) being taken out of competition because their testosterone levels are too high? Political statements from athletes to the press? You have not seen any of this? What channel are you watching????
I am aware of all of that. the small percentage of those incidents and a small percentage of problematic athletes should not overshadow everything. What of the bigger percentage of our American athletes that are not being celebrated or rooted for? They worked their butts off to be there and many have been successful but guess they don`t matter because people want to just focus on the negative. not telling anyone what to support or watch though just something I have observed.

rubyx1

rubyx1
Some may be more attuned to this stuff than others. Or maybe the OP didn’t see the stuff you mentioned. Got to cut @rubyx1 a little slack.
I am attuned lol. It is just people letting all the bad and negative overshadow the bigger percentage of our athletes who have not been problematic worked hard and have been successful. I have seen so many express they didn`t feel supported because all they saw were people talking about boycotting or only focusing on the small percentage of the negative situations.

daygo

I just look at the sport, nothing else like the stories or the medal ceremony, lot easier and better.