Ordered a New Laptop

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I would have NO idea how to do a laptop. But $25,000 is ridiculous. Even if I had infinite money, I wouldn't pay that based on principle.

I'd envision that some company would need to sell a laptop shell with motherboard and ports and all that already in it, and have it so you pop off the back and install everything you want. The manufacturer would need to advise which stuff was compatible with the mobo...

The only time I didn't build my own desktops was after I moved back up to Alaska and discovered that shipping costs for each item made it less expensive than ordering it from ibuypower or one other company who's name I can't remember at the moment. Once Amazon started doing free shipping that dynamic changed and I built are last few but now am leaving the desktop world behind. I also build mission critical servers for the Air Force along with some pretty good sized networks.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
now am leaving the desktop world behind.
Yes, we are too. Today my dh and I bought a Macbook Air. As soon as we get our files transferred from our iMacPro desktop, and we both get used to laptop, I think we will be looking to buy another one. Its portability is what I like. We're on a hotspot here in the country, but that shouldn't change anything. Looking forward to the convenience (& it's also a nice color).

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'd never spend $25,000 for a computer. I didn't even know they made computers that expensive?

I think the most I've seen on a computer is about $3,000 or so. :twitch

But I'm sure like everything else you can spend as much as you want for something. :lol

There's probably some rich Arab sheik out in Dubai with a basic computer on the inside with the outside encased in diamonds for a cool $1M. :lol Probably the guy that drives this:

https://carfromjapan.com/article/industry-knowledge/worlds-most-expensive-mercedes-with-diamonds/

:lol

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think the most I've seen on a computer is about $3,000 or so.

The Thinkpad I purchased for around $3500 had a full retail price double that. When I priced check the equivalent laptop when the next gencame out that's when it added up to 25K. They changed the offering though and you can't get it with 6e4 GB of memory and 4 GB of SSD. They're offering less, still at pretty high prices... I figure it's mostly got to do with all the shortages we're seeing. Hopefully the supply train will sort itself out but I have a suspicion that instead of getting better, it might continue to worsen, by design...

GEOINTAnalyst

MSI Creator 17 17.3" UHD HDR1000 Mini LED Creator Laptop Intel Core i7-11800H RTX3070 16GB 1TB NVMe SSD Win10PRO VR Ready (B11UG-239)​

$4999.00

ASUS ProArt StudioBook Pro X Mobile Workstation Laptop, 17” FHD Narrow Bezel, Intel Xeon E-2276M, 64GB ECC DDR4, 4TB PCIe SSD, Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000, Windows 10 Pro, W730G5T-XH99, Star Grey​

$4999.99

both at amazon

So there is 2 laptops at 5 Grand each - ouch

of course there is the

MJ’S Swarovski & Diamond Studded Notebook – $3.5 Million

JSTyler

I try and compose and make music and I use a DAW (digital audio workstation) to do so. The process can be very resource intensive. It runs just short of video production for required horsepower during operations. The piece of music I near about finished up yesterday was running at last count, 26 concurrent tracks, using about 20 different instruments and about 30 or so (I'm too lazy to actually count) effect plugins and one monster of a resource-hog spacializer/compressor. This is all done on what was a fairly humble $750 HP desktop, which now retails for about $900. I topped out at about 38% of system resources at peak...I can't imagine what could be done with a couple of the machines mentioned above. The music that could be produced would likely rip apart the time-space continuum. It even makes my mind hurt trying to figure out how all of that horsepower could be used.

Carl

Aw the old Radio Shack Computers. My first computer was a 4k model 1. Finally built it up to 64k and 2 disk drives. Finally got a IBM clone. I did like Quick Basic. It was a good programing language for any general programing.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I switched from a home computer to a laptop September 2013, still using it right now. I got tired of paying for home computers that ran slow, always needed more memory or gigs(I like that word, but I am a tech challenged individual and don't understand computers) and some did not last two years. We have had 3 Compac, and 2 HP desk tops, the laptop I'm on now is a Toshiba, a young man I worked with back then ordered it for me from BestBuy. He was kind of the store computer guru. This laptop has lasted a long time but is now having issues, the screen is going berzerk with lines and colors when you open it to use it, and today my mouse won't work. I thought the battery was dead so changed it and nothing, took wife's mouse from her pad and inserted the mouse control chip or whatever it's called into the laptop port, turned on the mouse and nothing happens, so I guess something in the laptop is malfunctioning. I hate using the laptop with out the mouse functioning, too much slide your fingers here and there to get something done, I like to use a mouse and click/drag/copy/paste etc. quicker to get things done.
I don't do any gaming, laptop is for reading and banking and watching videos on fixing things, and I like listening to music and transferring the music like old hymns etc. to our big screen TV through a HDMI cable , just sounds better on the TV sound system. This Toshiba cost us about $1000 , I would like to get ideas from you all on a laptop in that price range that last might possibly last a long while. I really like how this one operates, like when I insert a camera card into the laptop port it's super easy to navigate what pics I want to view or insert to an avatar, anyway I will just check in once in a while to see your ideas on laptops. I probably won't be posting or reading much until we get a new one, it is too time consuming without the mouse function working.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
the laptop I'm on now is a Toshiba

I was purchasing Toshibas for years. I wasn't happy when Toshiba left the laptop market. They were offering the most bang for the buck for a long time. I was usually buying them at Office Max when they were on sale. After those went away I shifted to Lenovo as I found their offerings to offer the most bang for the buck, and Costco always had some on sale. Things have changed a bit since Trump's tariffs went into effect. That's probably the one thing Trump did that the current administration doesn't seem interested in eliminating. It's a heavy tax on consumers and usually doesn't have its intended effect. I'm finding that Laptop makers are being less generous with what they're putting inside the laptops now and the prices are higher. My most recent purchase for when traveling is a little HP laptop. I've purchased HP laptops on and off over the decades and have generally been pleased with them.

I think the best place from which to purchase a laptop is Costco these days. Their's often come with more generous configurations that other stores, they've always got a large assortment on sale, and the warranty is doubled, which given how cheaply they're made nowadays... is nice.

It won't be too hard to get a Costco laptop for under $1000. My little HP was $899, regular price $1050. Make sure there's an HDMI port on it before you purchase it.

For your current laptop and the mouse issue, have you tried all of the USB ports to see if a mouse will work from any of them? I was thinking that maybe just that one port was going bad.

Armor of Light

TALLTIMBERS I LOVE YOU BROTHER ! Seriously I did not know I had another little port, there are two on the other side, thanks so much, the mouse is working again, the other port must be bad. I will be at Costco today will see what they have, thanks !

Armor of Light

Ok Costco has an HP15.6" Pavilion laptop, i7-1195g7 processor, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512 gb solid state drive, Intel Iris Xe graphics, Full HD 1920x1080, windows 11 for 899.99, and I can get the lager 17.3" with same features tomorrow online for $100 less, my laptop is a 2013 model with an i5 processor not sure what else is under the hood but it's pretty fast, just has some quirks.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Ok Costco has an HP15.6" Pavilion laptop, i7-1195g7 processor, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512 gb solid state drive, Intel Iris Xe graphics, Full HD 1920x1080, windows 11 for 899.99, and I can get the lager 17.3" with same features tomorrow online for $100 less, my laptop is a 2013 model with an i5 processor not sure what else is under the hood but it's pretty fast, just has some quirks.

Item 1587508 has an hdmi port too. It doesn't appear to be on sale now. if you can wait until it's on sale that's what I'd recommend... being as how I'm a cheapskate and all.