Ordered a New Laptop

JSTyler

6 cores and 12 threads in an i5 is awesome. The laptop we got my wife very recently has an i5 11 gen. It's the first i5 I've gotten and frankly can't tell any difference between that CPU and the i7 11 gen in my sister's new laptop. Both of those CPUs are 4 core 8 thread.
I got the thing for game/music/video crunching. I landed on what I have due to some anonymous bit I was reading on pc specs and game creation... "make your games with a high-end machine, limit your audience to high-end users." Oooor something like it.

The funny thing is, I just got my latest gummit cheese a couple days ago. If I had any idea that it was forthcoming, I'd have splurged a bit more. I get to buy a new pc about every 12 years or so.

sawas

6 cores and 12 threads in an i5 is awesome. The laptop we got my wife very recently has an i5 11 gen. It's the first i5 I've gotten and frankly can't tell any difference between that CPU and the i7 11 gen in my sister's new laptop. Both of those CPUs are 4 core 8 thread.
Yeah, finding good laptop/netbook CPUs is a big challenge. The thinner they get the less cooling they get. It was a real challenge to pick the latest for me, since I was sold on the idea of a convertible touchscreen and enough power to run my other software and keep it affordable (used as noted earlier). Doing all of that in such a small package with a 15 watt TDP is a serious constraint. I expect it will get a little easier next time around.

sawas

Wow! That's way out of my depth. I'd never heard of it before now. It looks amazing...makes my head hurt.

I was always a Korg junkie; M1, Triton, Oasys (only borrowed those two) and then the tragic M3 with a radias expansion. I still wish I had the M1, it was a workhorse with those lovely 80's patches, very limited oscillators and very accessible but it died from use with no options to find parts after 18 years. With each iteration, korg made the interface of their workstations more and more complex until they were nearly unusable. I grew to hate the M3 and then about 6 years ago my fingers couldn't handle simple chord progressions anymore, forget complex or fast. I sold the M3 and went a couple years music-less. It felt like I'd lost a limb. Then I discovered the world of DAWs and WOOT! Back in the music world.

I'm a loop-monkey now (blush, it's not as noble as pure playing, but I can't play anyhow and loop-slinging is soooooo much fun). I have a yoooooge library of loops and love trying to make my own in midi.

I haven't devolved to ripping and or sampling yet, but there's still time :diablo

Sorry about the detour @Tall Timbers but you buy a deathstar pc, you gotta expect surprises :biggrin2
LOL, gear nerd alert! :cop Hey, you can't talk about computers without getting into what they're gonna be used for. I'm sure @Tall Timbers understands.

But, yeah, I'm still at the crossroads, with older outboard gear (amps, keys, stomp boxes, what have you) that I'm slowly finding digital replacement for. We're a long, long way from my first foray with Cakewalk on a 486 PC upgraded with a MIDI capable soundcard.

BTW, S1 (and most of the better DAWs out there today) have good built-in sampling capabilities. I've done a bit, working on remixes just to sharpen my skill set, but man is it a huge time sink.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I got the thing for game/music/video crunching. I landed on what I have due to some anonymous bit I was reading on pc specs and game creation... "make your games with a high-end machine, limit your audience to high-end users." Oooor something like it.

The funny thing is, I just got my latest gummit cheese a couple days ago. If I had any idea that it was forthcoming, I'd have splurged a bit more. I get to buy a new pc about every 12 years or so.

If I was in that situation of only being able to buy a PC about every 12 years, I'd probably call it my jubilee year. I'm quite frugal, by nature, but after personal computers got created, that's one item I've spent a fortune on, for myself, and then for my family members as they came along.

Andy C

If I was in that situation of only being able to buy a PC about every 12 years, I'd probably call it my jubilee year. I'm quite frugal, by nature, but after personal computers got created, that's one item I've spent a fortune on, for myself, and then for my family members as they came along.
My one area is a new car or truck. In the 46 years I have been driving, I have only owned one vehicle that I kept past the warranty expiring - and that was a 1984 Fiero.

JSTyler

BTW, S1 (and most of the better DAWs out there today) have good built-in sampling capabilities. I've done a bit, working on remixes just to sharpen my skill set, but man is it a huge time sink.
There's always that little click or pop that CAN'T be mixed out without breaking sample. It's a skill-specific talent that's not in my toolbox yet.

Things are going to get even more interesting for me soon. I'm about to lose a significant portion of my remaining hearing in a rapidly approaching surgery. I'll have weeks of recovery and only one passable ear to use while playing around with music...if I'm up to it. There's some hope however, if things go well, I may end up with something that resembles stereo hearing again by August. Don't tell anyone, but I blubber like a baby every time I'm working with sound and music now as I realize my "good" hearing days may be very numbered. If my neck wasn't on a swivel, there'd be no hope at al for my meager mixing abilities.

JSTyler

Buy me a pc on credit, 6 years and 11 months ago. Then we'll talk about jubilee :wink2

sawas

There's always that little click or pop that CAN'T be mixed out without breaking sample. It's a skill-specific talent that's not in my toolbox yet.

Things are going to get even more interesting for me soon. I'm about to lose a significant portion of my remaining hearing in a rapidly approaching surgery. I'll have weeks of recovery and only one passable ear to use while playing around with music...if I'm up to it. There's some hope however, if things go well, I may end up with something that resembles stereo hearing again by August. Don't tell anyone, but I blubber like a baby every time I'm working with sound and music now as I realize my "good" hearing days may be very numbered. If my neck wasn't on a swivel, there'd be no hope at al for my meager mixing abilities.
That's a bummer. Reminds me of that ex-Nashville friend I mentioned, who's favorite word after decades of "ear abuse" is now "what?". He maintains that all he can really hear anymore is whatever's wrong, LOL. That may be an acquired skill or sensitivity, but he also gets others (like me) to double check his work, which we all benefit from.

I hope your outcome is better than that. :pray And, hey, mixing is as much art as science anyway. Like music itself, I tend to hate whatever I once thought was really good. Sometimes, our ears (good or bad) also need to rest. It can help to listen to reference tracks too. I've also learned that good monitors really do help, especially if you have unique challenges. Hmmm, the older I get the more of those aids I seem to need.

You might consider starting up a live-sound/recording/production thread. I'd be happy to participate. I'm sure there are others here trying to do stuff for their church or praise team who might also join in. I've got some experience on the technical side of all of that...more than the performance side, actually.

Andy C

Is that because nobody would take it in trade? :drum
I dont really know why, but I loved that car. Before going to Okinawa Japan, I sold it to a good friend.

What was funny about me owning that car is back in those days, I lived in the gym in my off time, and weighed about 228 at 5ft 10. My friends said it was comical watching me get in and out.

sawas

That is a quintessential 80's hooptie. Cue the Miami Vice theme.
Pardon me while I push my sleeves up before combing out my chest hair. Fair Disclosure: The 70's aesthetic was a shade worse and I'm sure my bell bottoms and sideburns went well with my '69 El Camino, LOL.

Hey my Pop told me that cars would be the worst investment I would ever make. He didn't know about computers back then. I'd be happy to own any one of my first three cars now....not so much those old computers.

Last edited:

JSTyler

I've also learned that good monitors really do help, especially if you have unique challenges.
That I have covered. When I got the M3 I was "upsold" a pair of powered Truth B2030A's and they sound just as crisp and clean as the day I hooked 'em up. They have great low end too. I almost sold them on ebay when I sold off the M3. That was my pre-DAW days. I was too cheap and lazy to pack and ship such heavy items, and I'm still thanking that me of ago for that. They nestled safely in a closet until just the right time. Nothing like that "pop" when you hit the power switch and nothing else like the air displacement when they're cranking.

You might consider starting up a live-sound/recording/production thread. I'd be happy to participate. I'm sure there are others here trying to do stuff for their church or praise team who might also join in. I've got some experience on the technical side of all of that...more than the performance side, actually.
That'd be fun. I have a pretty reliable feeling, based on your posts that you have a lot to offer, which is great, because I have a lot to learn and a bottomless pit of curiosity and interest in music/sound creating and production. All hobby mind you, as I'm a happy janitor and volunteer.

Last edited:

JSTyler

Pardon me while I push my sleeves up before combing out my chest hair. Fair Disclosure: The 70's aesthetic was a shade worse and I'm sure my bell bottoms and sideburns went well with my '69 El Camino, LOL.

Hey my Pop told me that cars would be the worst investment I would ever make. He didn't know about computers back then. I'd be happy to own any one of my first three cars now....not so much those old computers.

I can smell the pot, dirt, sweat, funky feet and patchouli oil from here. :pukeOne of my siblings was a dirty hippy :wink2 She was a Jesus-freak hippy though, so she was clean on the inside, if not the outside.

I miss my 318 converted t0 340 Satellite. I remember that car with fear and trembling. Air shocks on the back and cranked up torsion bars on the front, small truck tires...it looked like it belonged on the set of a Mad Max movie.