Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. Is this true?

JDP

Been out of the Catholic cult for about 25 years now (as I've posted elsewhere). And I'm assuming the local parish still has me on their rolls. But the RCC has no power or authority over me whatsoever. Once I became a born-again, Scripture believing child of God, all ties to the RCC cult were severed forever.

Annie

Be A Berean!
I'm another ex-Catholic, or as the Catholics like to say about those who disagree with Catholic 'teachings', an "anti-Catholic" :doh2

My parents/siblings stayed with this false belief system and because of it have very little to do with me, the black sheep ... both of my parents are elderly and have health issues and I pray for their salvation and release from the bondage.

Accepted

Yet another former Catholic here! It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, just be faithful to Jesus!

One thing I found interesting over the years is that my Catholic family would often turn to US for prayer, instead of Catholics, when there was deep need.

And both of my parents ended up receiving Christ before they passed!!

PhilR

I have heard this bogus statement, "once a catholic, always...….." And you will notice it always seems to come from RC's .. The don't look at Christians as individuals, but as members of this or that church or denomination. To them, being Christian has to somehow happen within an institution, and they say that the RCC is the body of Christ.
I say, once you are saved by trusting Christ as your Savior you are always saved.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
This is the statement I have always been told since I was younger. I was a Catholic when I was young and I left it in 2011. Although I still went there sometimes, I had completely left it from deep inside me. Over the past years, like 6 or 5, I completely don't go there anymore. So is this statement true? That once you are baptized and received the sacraments, even when you run away you will forever be a Catholic?
No, the statement once a catholic always a catholic is not true. The reason is people are reading The :bibleinstead of believing their church teachings is correct. They are seeing that their churches teachings does not line up with The :bible. We are not a Christian because of the denominational church we attend, but by being born again which is believing :fishdied for our sins, was buried, and rose again on the 3rd day. :bibleJohn 1:12-13. So Christianity is about a relationship not religion.

Bohdan

My family background and upbringing is Ukrainian Catholic. Although the liturgy is different from Latin Rite this is really part of the Roman Catholic communion. Not to be confused with Ukrainian Greek Orthodox, though the official name of the rite says it's Greek. A lot of confused infighting in the history of all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Greek_Catholic_Church

The Wikipedia article isn't 100% accurate in all details but should give you a good idea.

So really I can say I was raised Catholic, though I attend a Protestant church.

There are definitely some saved people within Catholicism. That is they have a personal relationship with Christ. But the institutional organizations do not really edify in that direction.

So with all that said, am I still a Catholic?

Well I don't use icons in worship, nor address prayers to saints, etc. And I know others like myself.

So short answer to the original question: No.

SkyRider

I can remember years ago after the Lord led me out of Roman Catholicism and after many attempts to try to persuade my parents and siblings to flee that organization also - all to no avail - that my mom one day asked me if I wanted an old Infant de Prague statue that she had in the house and she wasn't displaying it anywhere. I told her 'Mom, I'm not a Catholic. I don't honor or venerate those things anymore'. The deletion of the second commandment by Rome to not worship graven images was still foreign to her, as it is with most Catholics. Her response was that I was still a Catholic until I went and discussed it with a priest. I said 'No, a higher authority has freed me of that religion', to which she didn't agree.

But I have heard it before from many Catholics in my attempts to enlighten them with scripture to come out of the RCC, that they'll either say "once a Catholic, always a Catholic" or, in more instances, "I was born a Catholic, I'll die as a Catholic", which is equally troubling. No matter what scripture may say, Rome and its teaching are more correct to them and necessary for salvation than what the Word of God says about being saved. After all, they believe that Christ started the Catholic Church, that the Catholic Church gave us the Bible, that their popes are infallible and that the Mother Church would never lead them astray. That all stems from a lifetime of complete indoctrination into their system and the coercion that takes place when they tell you that without their priests to forgive your sins, without the "Holy Mass" and the transformation of the wafer and wine into the body and blood of Christ, and the re-sacrificing of this Christ on their altars, that there is no way for one to enter Heaven. And this is instilled into them over, and over, and over again until one is completely brainwashed into their belief system. It is insidious and totally beguilling.

SkyRider

I just spoke with my parents today. Both Catholics. Cult mentality is what comes to mind, they fear anything other than what the RCC says or tells them what to believe :sad

Yep, that’s the problem. After years of CCD classes, going to a Catholic grade school from 2nd thru 7th grades and going through all the sacraments to become a good Catholic, my dad was so incensed when I left that religion. He thought I would be eternally lost.

Another former Catholic here; they tend to try to ingrain the Catholic way into people from an early age. But the thing is: even if any of it is left, you bring it to the Lord. he has the final say, not the RCC. So, as far as "once a Catholic, always a Catholic", my Savior says:

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” (John 10:27-30, NASB, emphasis mine)

So... once I left the RCC and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I was no longer Catholic and never would be again.

Last edited:

Annie

Be A Berean!
Yep, that’s the problem. After years of CCD classes, going to a Catholic grade school from 2nd thru 7th grades and going through all the sacraments to become a good Catholic, my dad was so incensed when I left that religion. He thought I would be eternally lost.

It breaks your heart doesn't it. As a born again believer it is you who can claim eternal salvation, not the other way around.

PhilR

I recently watched the movie "SPOTLIGHT", which I've seen several times before. I wonder how many OCAC people ended up leaving the RCC when this shocking news came out in 2002? I left the RCC in 1995, but if I did not, I am pretty sure this wide-spread RCC scandal would have driven me to leave for good.

Last edited: