Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. Is this true?

Milly_Light

This is the statement I have always been told since I was younger. I was a Catholic when I was young and I left it in 2011. Although I still went there sometimes, I had completely left it from deep inside me. Over the past years, like 6 or 5, I completely don't go there anymore. So is this statement true? That once you are baptized and received the sacraments, even when you run away you will forever be a Catholic?

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
TT is 100% correct.

The statement you ask about is somewhat like saying "Once a fetus, always a fetus." Let me explain.

In actual fact, the statement "once a Catholic, always a Catholic"actually has no real meaning for the individual, it only has meaning to the Roman Catholic Church. By this I mean that the RCC views a person who no longer believes the church's teachings and, thus, no longer attends it as a "lapsed Catholic". (Or, if they have formally denounced the RCC and been excommunicated, as an "excommunicated Catholic".) But that's only what the RCC says from its point of view, not what the individual actually is. If the person has been saved, then the Bible calls them a Christian, a saint, a child of God. So what the RCC calls them is immaterial.

Further, in truth the RCC has no real power over a person whatsoever--whether physical or spiritual. That religious organization is just a massive bunch of misled people who are themselves trapped in a gigantic cult. So don't worry about it. What you ARE is the only thing that counts. As John Newton put it in his great hymn Amazing Grace, "I once was lost, but now am saved; I was blind, but now I see."

You may once have been a Roman Catholic, but now you have seen the light and are saved! And you can no more go back to being unsaved than a baby can return to the womb. That infant is no longer a fetus; and the one who has been born again is no longer lost. And if not lost, then no longer truly a Roman Catholic (regardless of what others --or even they themselves-- may call them.)

ItIsFinished!

TT is 100% correct.

The statement you ask about is somewhat like saying "Once a fetus, always a fetus." Let me explain.

In actual fact, the statement "once a Catholic, always a Catholic"actually has no real meaning for the individual, it only has meaning to the Roman Catholic Church. By this I mean that the RCC views a person who no longer believes the church's teachings and, thus, no longer attends it as a "lapsed Catholic". (Or, if they have formally denounced the RCC and been excommunicated, as an "excommunicated Catholic".) But that's only what the RCC says from its point of view, not what the individual actually is. If the person has been saved, then the Bible calls them a Christian, a saint, a child of God. So what the RCC calls them is immaterial.

Further, in truth the RCC has no real power over a person whatsoever--whether physical or spiritual. That religious organization is just a massive bunch of misled people who are themselves trapped in a gigantic cult. So don't worry about it. What you ARE is the only thing that counts. As John Newton put it in his great hymn Amazing Grace, "I once was lost, but now am saved; I was blind, but now I see."

You may once have been a Roman Catholic, but now you have seen the light and are saved! And you can no more go back to being unsaved than a baby can return to the womb. That infant is no longer a fetus; and the one who has been born again is no longer lost. And if not lost, then no longer truly a Roman Catholic (regardless of what others --or even they themselves-- may call them.)
Boom!
:thumbup

Momma D

My husband and I were born and raised catholic.
When we decided to leave, it was a simultaneous decision by both of us at the very same time, to never go back. And we never looked back. We never had one doubt that we made the right choice.
We were saved, and wanted our kids to learn more about following Jesus than we could teach them from the floor of the "crying room."

SonSeeker

We need @AndyC to sort you out.
I don't know how Andy is going to help. He needs help too. :drum
All right now, you two just hold on one dad burned minute, dag nabit, anyhow!
Dan is right, for a change. "Andy needs help too". Let's face it, he can't even drive his new pick-up pulling his new fifth-wheel without getting into a fight with a tree. And he lost the fight!
Andy can't possibly sort me out. He isn't even capable of sorting Buddy, his dog, out!

John, you can't be three twice.
Fact is, I must be 21! My first post was #10, and my second post was #11. Adrian, do you need help with the math?