Olivia (Minnesota) Police Officer Fatally Shoots Person Department Says Was Armed During ‘Altercation’

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Olivia, Minnesota is a small town of about 2500, about 100 miles west of Minneapolis

Olivia Police Officer Fatally Shoots Person Department Says Was Armed During ‘Altercation’​

"MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — An officer in Olivia shot and killed a person the police department said was armed during an “altercation” in an alley early Sunday morning."

"The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the shooting."
More
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...department-says-was-armed-during-altercation/

Please pray for peace

:pray :pray :amen :amen

depserv

Quoted from the news story: "Police said “an altercation took place,” during which the officer shot the person. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where they were pronounced dead." [emphasis mine]

This says more than one person was pronounced dead, but the rest of the story says it was only one. It also implies that the officer and the one he shot were both taken to the hospital and both were pronounced dead, but the next paragraph says that the officer has been placed on administrative leave, which presumably would not be necessary if he had been pronounced dead. So am I missing something, or is this just another example of the squalid butchery of language that has come to characterize modern journalism?

ChildofLight

Quoted from the news story: "Police said “an altercation took place,” during which the officer shot the person. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where they were pronounced dead." [emphasis mine]

This says more than one person was pronounced dead, but the rest of the story says it was only one. It also implies that the officer and the one he shot were both taken to the hospital and both were pronounced dead, but the next paragraph says that the officer has been placed on administrative leave, which presumably would not be necessary if he had been pronounced dead. So am I missing something, or is this just another example of the squalid butchery of language that has come to characterize modern journalism?
Botched journalism of someone being in a hurry to get the story out.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus

This may be P.C. speak. Instead of saying he or she, the person that was shot and is now dead is being referred to as 'they'. Yes, confusion lending to more confusion.

From the OP

"The department did not identify the officer or the person who was shot."

depserv

This may be P.C. speak. Instead of saying he or she, the person that was shot and is now dead is being referred to as 'they'. Yes, confusion lending to more confusion.

From the OP

"The department did not identify the officer or the person who was shot."
Good point, and I agree: it probably is an example of how the corruption of language done to promote the liberal agenda leads to corruption of meaning. I'd say it's part of the dumbing down of America, maybe even a sophisticated form of what George Orwell called newspeak.

DWB

The victim must have told the officer it's pronouns was they.

As long as people are wandering around at 2:30am with a gun, getting into altercations with the police, there will continue to be incidents as this. The cycle of stupidity just happens over and over.

There is only one rule to guarantee your safety with police officers. Follow their instructions and you will be safe!!!! Even being stopped for no cause, which I have been, just be polite and cooperate. Most likely they will give you a break for not being a jerk.

Ghoti Ichthus

Politically correct grammatical malfeasance :frown

There are other was of wording sentences so the identity of the individual(s) can be protected. Sometimes, avoiding mention of the gender of an officer is necessary to protect his or her identity, especially in a small department, in which there may only be one female in the entire department (rarely is there only one male), or if there were one male and one female on duty at the time of the incident, and specifying the gender would reveal the identity of the officer. Likewise, revealing the gender of a deceased person in a small town, could reveal the identity of the person to family/friends/neighbors before proper, in-person notification were done.

Ghoti Ichthus

Family, friends identify man killed in Olivia, Minn. deadly police shooting​

"OLIVIA, Minn. (FOX 9) - Family and friends of a man who was shot and killed by police in Olivia, Minnesota are calling for a thorough investigation into the deadly encounter.
Loved ones identified the deceased as 32-year-old Ricardo Torres, Jr.
"Yeah, I’m angry because he didn’t deserve this," said Natasha Lindner, Torres’ girlfriend. "He didn’t. He was a good guy."
Lindner is devastated. Her boyfriend of four years, the father of their nine-month old son is gone. Lindner wants to know why.
"I don’t think that this was just the cop defending himself at all," she said."
More
https://www.fox9.com/news/family-friends-identify-man-killed-in-olivia-minn-deadly-police-shooting

Note: a search via the Duck revealed a previous arrest in Olivia, possibly the one referenced in the above article, was for DWI and drug paraphernalia.

Please pray for peace

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Officer's name released by State of Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA)

BCA: Ricardo Torres Jr. Was Fatally Shot By Olivia Police Officer Aaron Clouse​

"The BCA says the officer who shot Torres is Aaron Clouse, who has been in law enforcement for 11 years. He’s on standard administrative leave.
Investigators also found a shotgun near the spot where Torres was shot. No body cameras or dash cameras captured the deadly encounter."
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...y-shot-by-olivia-police-officer-aaron-clouse/

Please pray for peace

Wings Like Eagles

It is possible that only one person was killed but the person may have had a "pronoun choice" of "they/them". Ben Shapiro has a hilarious send-up of the absolute butchery of the language that is going on. The Ben Shapiro Show--I don't have the number of the episode but it is a recent one and if you just go to his channel, you will find it.

Ghoti Ichthus

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune (newspaper):
The article in the big-city paper is fanning flames :mad

Olivia, Minn., struggles to understand fatal shooting by police officer​

"OLIVIA, MINN. – They knew each other, the two men facing off in a dark alley in this west-central Minnesota town. They had a history.
In the past five years, Ricardo Torres Jr. had been arrested four times by Aaron Clouse, an Olivia police officer. On one occasion, according to court records, Clouse chased Torres through a grain elevator and used a Taser on him."

""It's not a community that's racially divided," said Linda Stadther, who lives on a farm just outside town. "It's a pretty close-knit community. You'll go to a birthday party, and half the people will be white and half will be Hispanic, and it just seems normal. "But among Olivia's Mexican Americans, Clouse had a reputation as an officer who liked to harass people with brown skin."
More
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...d-fatal-shooting-by-police-officer/ar-AALYOQ0

Please pray for peace and for outsiders to stay out and let the community deal with the incident and issue(s).
We need a lot of extra prayer because a small town like Olivia could easily be oevrwhelmed and destroyed by a mob :mad :cry