Ohio to let teachers carry guns after 24 hours of training

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Ohio to let teachers carry guns after 24 hours of training
The bill was finalized 10 days after a teenager with an AR-15-style rifle attacked a school in Uvalde, Texas. Nineteen students and two teachers were killed in the massacre.
By REUTERS
Published: JUNE 3, 2022

Ohio is set to enact a law that allows teachers and other staff to be armed with guns in schools once they have completed up to 24 hours of initial training. Proponents hope armed teachers will reduce the frequency and deadliness of school shootings, which have become recurrent in the United States. The bill's opponents, including teachers' unions and the state's main police officer union, say it will only make schools more dangerous for children.

The bill was finalized 10 days after a teenager with an AR-15-style rifle attacked a school in Uvalde, Texas. Nineteen students and two teachers were killed in the massacre. Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, a Republican, has said he will sign the bill into law. The bill was passed by the Republican-controlled Ohio General Assembly this week. It was designed to defuse a ruling last year by the Ohio Supreme Court that said a longstanding state law required teachers to complete more than 700 hours in a peace-officer training program before they could be armed with a gun on school premises.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/international/article-708535

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
state law required teachers to complete more than 700 hours in a peace-officer training program before they could be armed with a gun on school
700 hours seems like a lot???

I think it would cut down on school shootings if teachers were trained and armed. Sure hate to see it come to that.

Perhaps school marms back in the day had rifles...wild animals or Indians may have posed a threat. People acting like wild animals still do.

pixelpusher

Perhaps school marms back in the day had rifles...wild animals or Indians may have posed a threat. People acting like wild animals still do.
Even back in the 80s, in high school all the hunting fellows would have their rifles or shotguns in the back window rack of their truck.

On the latest Pastors Point of View from Andy Woods, episode 213, they talk about how back in the 60s, kids in NEW YORK CITY would carry their rifles to school on the subway, because there was a shooting club and after school they would have target practice.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Even back in the 80s, in high school all the hunting fellows would have their rifles or shotguns in the back window rack of their truck.

On the latest Pastors Point of View from Andy Woods, episode 213, they talk about how back in the 60s, kids in NEW YORK CITY would carry their rifles to school on the subway, because there was a shooting club and after school they would have target practice.
Yes, I was part of the rifle club at school in Long Island New York.

depserv

700 hours of training? That'd be 17 1/2 forty hour weeks. That's absurd, and it's prohibitive. I'm wondering if the 700 number is a misprint; maybe it's 70, which would still be too many. But given the insanity of many government entities, it probably is 700.

A short class can give them all the information they need. Training in tactics and safety would be a benefit but none of that takes many hours. And a test showing competency, along with training in order to reach the minimum level, is all that should be necessary. Any more that is put there to keep them unarmed.

If they can drive their car in the presence of children they can carry a gun and use it safely and effectively too.

Teachers should have had the right to be armed when the school shootings first began. Not doing this has been a massive betrayal perpetrated on our children and their loved ones. Those responsible for this betrayal are usually protected by armed guards, and so are their children. So they know it's a betrayal.

The best short term solution, besides better control of access complete with metal detectors, would be to have one or more dedicated armed guards, depending on the size of the school, and as many teachers, coaches, and administrators as are capable should be armed too.

The dedicated guard and the teachers go to the range together from time to time, train together, and make a plan of action. The plan is, the dedicated guard hunts down the shooter as quickly as he can, and the teachers stand guard where they can each protect their room, or a section of hallway, or hallway intersection or something, standing behind some kind of bulletproof barricade (brick wall, file cabinet filled with sand bags, etc.), exposing themselves no more than necessary to see and stop any threat that comes there way. The teachers and guard should be in communication with each other.

Many of these shooters wear body armor. So the guards and teachers should have bullets designed to defeat armor. That kind of ammo has been outlawed for civilians though, and now we are seeing that this too was a betrayal, since no cop had ever been killed with what was falsely called cop-killer bullets. Without such ammo, usually their legs and head aren't usually protected. And some levels of body armor will stop armor piercing pistol rounds, so hitting areas not protected by armor are important

This should all be a short term solution. If we had a government and media that really did want to stop these mass murders they would be focusing on long term solutions, like bringing the family back together, liberal media stop advertising mass murder, taking a close look at the overuse of prescription drugs on kids, and so on. But since there is no will on the part of those running our country to stop this the murders will continue.

I would add that the biggest mass murders have all been committed with things other than guns, fire, a big truck, and explosives being examples. These are relatively rare because they are not advertised by the smiling liars on TV. But if someone does use one of these methods, or maybe something like mass poisoning in the cafeteria, all the things being done to stop school shootings will do nothing to stop mass murder of this type. And no one is even talking about this. That's because those running the country don't want to stop these; they like having them as an excuse to disarm us.

And this shows the insanity of the constant focus on guns. It is simplistic in the extreme, to the point of being suicidal.

Footsteps

700 hours of training? That'd be 17 1/2 forty hour weeks. That's absurd, and it's prohibitive. I'm wondering if the 700 number is a misprint; maybe it's 70, which would still be too many. But given the insanity of many government entities, it probably is 700.

A short class can give them all the information they need. Training in tactics and safety would be a benefit but none of that takes many hours. And a test showing competency, along with training in order to reach the minimum level, is all that should be necessary. Any more that is put there to keep them unarmed.

If they can drive their car in the presence of children they can carry a gun and use it safely and effectively too.

Teachers should have had the right to be armed when the school shootings first began. Not doing this has been a massive betrayal perpetrated on our children and their loved ones. Those responsible for this betrayal are usually protected by armed guards, and so are their children. So they know it's a betrayal.

The best short term solution, besides better control of access complete with metal detectors, would be to have one or more dedicated armed guards, depending on the size of the school, and as many teachers, coaches, and administrators as are capable should be armed too.

The dedicated guard and the teachers go to the range together from time to time, train together, and make a plan of action. The plan is, the dedicated guard hunts down the shooter as quickly as he can, and the teachers stand guard where they can each protect their room, or a section of hallway, or hallway intersection or something, standing behind some kind of bulletproof barricade (brick wall, file cabinet filled with sand bags, etc.), exposing themselves no more than necessary to see and stop any threat that comes there way. The teachers and guard should be in communication with each other.

Many of these shooters wear body armor. So the guards and teachers should have bullets designed to defeat armor. That kind of ammo has been outlawed for civilians though, and now we are seeing that this too was a betrayal, since no cop had ever been killed with what was falsely called cop-killer bullets. Without such ammo, usually their legs and head aren't usually protected. And some levels of body armor will stop armor piercing pistol rounds, so hitting areas not protected by armor are important

This should all be a short term solution. If we had a government and media that really did want to stop these mass murders they would be focusing on long term solutions, like bringing the family back together, liberal media stop advertising mass murder, taking a close look at the overuse of prescription drugs on kids, and so on. But since there is no will on the part of those running our country to stop this the murders will continue.

I would add that the biggest mass murders have all been committed with things other than guns, fire, a big truck, and explosives being examples. These are relatively rare because they are not advertised by the smiling liars on TV. But if someone does use one of these methods, or maybe something like mass poisoning in the cafeteria, all the things being done to stop school shootings will do nothing to stop mass murder of this type. And no one is even talking about this. That's because those running the country don't want to stop these; they like having them as an excuse to disarm us.

And this shows the insanity of the constant focus on guns. It is simplistic in the extreme, to the point of being suicidal.
Good summation. Even as a first step, a murderer would hesitate if he knew more teachers had guns. Worth it even from the deterrence standpoint. Anybody with doubts - think Sandy Hook and Uvalde.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I think if the schools were allowed to ask for volunteers from the community to take shifts guarding the school, it would be a success.
I think there are many parents, grandparents and citizens that would gladly take a shift. Just sit outside the doors with a gun. Great deterrence program.

depserv

I think if the schools were allowed to ask for volunteers from the community to take shifts guarding the school, it would be a success.
I think there are many parents, grandparents and citizens that would gladly take a shift. Just sit outside the doors with a gun. Great deterrence program.
If you go to practical pistol competitions you see a lot of retired grandfathers there. These are for the most part skilled and competent in the use of their weapons, and at their age they should have the presence of mind and judgment to use them safely (since they have carried a gun for many years and have not done anything stupid with it); I have no doubt that there are plenty of them who would be willing to donate time to be protectors of our kids. Among them are also NRA certified pistol instructors and they can help train the teachers, so that they can work together as an organized unit if it becomes necessary to defend the kids.

Anti-gun bigots tell us that the teachers are powerless to stop this kind of thing but the gun the teacher carries together with the training she got is a great equalizer; even though the killer might have a rifle and she has a pistol, the pistol is effective enough at the kind of range these things typically take place at. Look at some of the detailed explanations of these shootings and you will see times that an armed teacher could have stopped them, but the teacher died instead because she had no means to fight back.

The teacher is likely more intelligent and has a more disciplined mind than the killer, and anyone who have studied martial arts should know that the mind if the primary weapon; everything else is an extension of it, so the more powerful mind has a big advantage, that can make up for various disadvantages. Also important is this fundamental rule: the one who lies in ambush has a huge advantage. This is why the dedicated guard actively hunts the killer, but the armed teacher waits hidden until the killer gets within range.

There is nothing new about any of this; it's all been well known for ages. This is not being done because those in charge have no real interest in protecting our kids. They know that armed protection is the only real protection because their own kids are protected by armed guards.

This hypocrisy strongly indicates that they want these killings to continue, because they want the American people disarmed and these give them an excuse. The same people have the blood of over 60 million unborn babies on their hands so what's a handful of kids killed now and then to them? No big deal, and it serves what to them is a greater cause. Liberal ideology breeds sociopaths.

TrustinHim

I'm hoping the schools are installing safes and the weapons won't actually be on the teachers. 24 hours is not enough training to put a gun on a teacher's person safely.
There's safes that are rapid access (finger code buttons ) I can't imagine a teacher carrying concealed all the time. Access to weapons for emergencies by trained personnel only, no chance of "teens" overpowering and taking it. More importantly it would be great if the psychos couldn't just walk in through unlocked doors.

Jojo4124

A teacher friend of mine works at a wealthy school district. She said that they have installed bullet proof glass everywhere. She believes that the law will be a deterrant to shooters...will a potential shooter risk going into a school where staff may be armed?

She said that it is the poor neighborhood school that have less defenses.

I was wondering why airports have spent tons of money to install such extensive screening/security, but our govt hasnt beefed up school security ever since Columbine years ago. The money is there. Superintendents make over $200k...etc.

Schools havent been prioritized as far as making them secure...putting kids at risk daily...the school shootings after Columbine are due to negligence of making schools safer. I dont HAVE to go to an airport, but most kids HAVE to go to school.

I hope more ppl are able to home school maybe. I dont know...

twerpv

A teacher friend of mine works at a wealthy school district. She said that they have installed bullet proof glass everywhere. She believes that the law will be a deterrant to shooters...will a potential shooter risk going into a school where staff may be armed?

She said that it is the poor neighborhood school that have less defenses.

I was wondering why airports have spent tons of money to install such extensive screening/security, but our govt hasnt beefed up school security ever since Columbine years ago. The money is there. Superintendents make over $200k...etc.

Schools havent been prioritized as far as making them secure...putting kids at risk daily...the school shootings after Columbine are due to negligence of making schools safer. I dont HAVE to go to an airport, but most kids HAVE to go to school.

I hope more ppl are able to home school maybe. I dont know...
Because the increased security would reduce/eliminate these shootings. Then libs couldn’t go after our freedom to bear arms/more control. They DO NOT care about kids.