Obama: 'These tragedies must end, and to end them we must change'

Littlejoe

Obama: 'These tragedies must end, and to end them we must change' | Nation/World | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

President Obama told the survivors of the Connecticut school shooting Sunday the nation's "love and prayers" are with them -- and told the nation that it must change to prevent such horror in the future.

"We can't tolerate this any more," Obama told families during an interfaith service at a local high school. "These tragedies must end, and to end them we must change ... We can't accept events like this as routine."

Obama also said: "Scripture tells us, do not lose heart ... Newtown, you are not alone."

In a personal, emotional address, Obama spoke of how teachers tried to protect their students during moments of terror, and townspeople who have tried to comfort the families in the agonizing days since.

Earlier, performing the saddest of presidential duties, Obama met privately with relatives of the 20 children and six adults who lost their lives in Friday's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The shooter and the shooter's mother also died.

The president, noting that this was the fourth time in his tenure he has traveled to the site of a mass shooting, said this latest shooting -- particularly the deaths of the children -- raises "hard questions" for the nation.

"Can we say we are doing enough to keep our children -- all of them -- safe from harm?" Obama said. "No, we are not doing enough, and we will have to change."

In addition to the families, Obama spoke with police officers and other first responders to the tragedy. Both the meetings and the memorial service are being held in classrooms at Newtown High School.

The White House declined to release details of the president's meetings.

As the crowd began filing into the auditorium where the vigil will be held, people could be seen weeping and hugging each other. Many wore lapel ribbons of green and white, the colors of Sandy Hook Elementary School.

A large number of elementary school-age children are in attendance, some of them clutching teddy bears and other cuddly toys. At the door, members of the Red Cross handed out stuffed dogs.

Members of the crowd stood and applauded as first responders, family members, and Obama entered the auditorium.

On the stage, in front of the podium: A table with 26 candles encased in glass, one for each shooting victim. A pianist played "Amazing Grace."

Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., also attending the memorial service, said he supports creation of a national commission on violence in the wake of this, the latest mass shooting.

"These events are happening more frequently, and I worry that if we don't take a thoughtful look at them, we're going to lose the hurt and the anger that we have now," Lieberman said. "And that includes looking at violence in the entertainment culture, mental health services and, of course, gun laws."

On the hill leading up to the school, several houses featured visible Christmas lights -- but most were dark.

Two members of the Connecticut congressional delegation accompanied Obama and aides aboard Air Force One: U.S. Reps. John Larson and Rosa DeLauro, both Democrats.

Also on board was White House speechwriter Cody Keenan, who helped Obama with his remarks after a 2010 mass shooting in Tucson.

White House officials said that Obama is the primary author of tonight's speech and that he worked with Keenan on final edits during the flight.

The president also met with family members and spoke after the 2009 serial killings at Fort Hood, Texas, which killed 13 servicemembers; the 2010 shooting in Tucson that killed six people and wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., and the July shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., that left 12 people dead.

In his Saturday radio address, Obama said: "As a nation, we have endured far too many of these tragedies in the last few years."

• List: Some of the deadliest mass shootings around the world

• Funerals set for 3 of the children killed in Connecticut school shooting

• Obama: ‘Meaningful action’ needed to prevent shootings

UCT

These things didn't happen when you could still spank your children. They didn't happen when dad pulled out the belt... They didn't happen when kids "had" to go to Sunday School. They didn't happen when prayer was allowed in schools and kids were taught there was a God they would answer to someday. Now, kids are allowed to do as they please and they are taught we came from fish. They are taught God is a fairy tale and when they die, they're just dead. This world is sad, sick and warped beyond repair without the Lord himself fixing it.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
If America wants these things to end, they will not achieve it by removing guns from the hands of its citizens (though there is no need for people to have big machine guns, cannons, or 100-round clips). They will achieve it by putting prayer back into the schools. Banning guns is not the answer; removing the ban from prayer in school and government is.

Littlejoe

If America wants these things to end, they will not achieve it by removing guns from the hands of its citizens (though there is no need for people to have big machine guns, cannons, or 100-round clips). They will achieve it by putting prayer back into the schools. Banning guns is not the answer; removing the ban from prayer in school and government is.
So well stated Adrian...

I remember not so long ago,a famous football player who murdered 2 innocent people...And did it without a gun,slaughtered them brutally
With butchers knife..

What will banning Knives and screw drivers be next??,maybe banning hammers will be needed...Or even poisions will be needed to be out lawed!!
Seee people have always murdered,how did they kill two,three thousand years ago????????????

I have a hunting rifle,and shotgun,they are used to provide food for the family and friends.They sit on my bedroom wall,my kids know and understand they are not to be touched,of course we raised them in a christian,bible based home,with rules,and my guns are the number one rule,they have never touched them(of course shells are locked up)you get the picture..

Obama has his agenda,along with his globalist friends,AND ITS NOT GOOD!!!!

Last edited:

UCT

I had an interesting debate of sorts last night about guns. Someone mentioned something I had never considered. As it stands today, you have many seriously depressed individuals taking their own life via handguns. If you take away their gun, will they then take that anger out on others instead of on themselves? It is a very interesting question when you really look at the rate of suicide in this Nation.

Also... I agree we have no need for huge cannons in our front yard. lol My thoughts are these will be the first weapons "banned", then they will go for anything with more than a 7 to 10 shot clip or cartridge. I don't know how many cities have done this, but what I see happening is what St. Louis and some other cities did a while back. You are offered money to turn in your guns. No questions asked. Drop them off, collect your cash. I think they will do something like this at first, but let everyone know they will be banned after a certain date, so be sure to get your money now..... If the Govt. ever truly turns against the people, or vice versa, an army of 8 shot shotguns or single shot shotguns, does NOTHING against machine guns. It would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I do not wish to see clips banned, even if they are 30 round clips. Everything starts somewhere. When they ban assault rifles, it will literally destroy any chance of ever having an uprising. Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not condone that, but taking away our weapons, especially our best weapons, is step one to enslaving the nation. There is nothing to stop some idiot kid from going on a knifing rampage someday and killing a bunch of people. I would hope we don't ban knives thereafter or I won't be able to cut my steak....

AndyM

Saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ
Great response as well Adrian.
I do wonder why some people like his mother are so intensely driven on a gun collection especially guns made specifically in killing people or war time guns. His mother I believe did have a responsibility to those guns and she should have had a common sense thinking of what happens when guns are misused as past shootings have occurred as reminders. The guns so available to her son who was mentally challenged strikes me as she was not responsible. There does fall a huge responsibility when you have guns lets face it. I am not against gun ownership but I do question why people need semi automatic weapons in a civilian life. Just because the constitution says we can?

EnRapturedwithChrist

Well, Obama is on the right track, anyway. Change is definitely needed.

The change the world needs is to turn back to the One who is Faithful and True, Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Will he promote that however? :thinking:

Littlejoe

AndyM said..

I do wonder why some people like his mother are so intensely driven on a gun collection especially guns made specifically in killing people or war time guns
Lanza mom believed world was on edge of collapse,she was a 'prepper
'survivalist.........

Nancy Lanza: Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger Sandy Hook, Connecticut killing spree? | Mail Online

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid ‘survivalist’ who believed the world was on the verge of violent, economic collapse.
She is reported to have been struggling to hold herself together and had been stockpiling food, water and guns in the large home she shared with her 20-year-old son in Connecticut.
Mrs Lanza, 52, was a ‘prepper’ – so called because they are preparing for a breakdown in civilised society – who apparently became obsessed with guns and taught Adam and his older brother, Ryan, how to shoot, even taking them to local ranges

Littlejoe

AndyM said..

Lanza mom believed world was on edge of collapse,she was a 'prepper
'survivalist.........

Nancy Lanza: Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger Sandy Hook, Connecticut killing spree? | Mail Online

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid ‘survivalist’ who believed the world was on the verge of violent, economic collapse.
She is reported to have been struggling to hold herself together and had been stockpiling food, water and guns in the large home she shared with her 20-year-old son in Connecticut.
Mrs Lanza, 52, was a ‘prepper’ – so called because they are preparing for a breakdown in civilised society – who apparently became obsessed with guns and taught Adam and his older brother, Ryan, how to shoot, even taking them to local ranges

That being said,im not buying that..I believe this is what The Government and the worlds globalist wants us to think..

That the World's doomsayers,and those who believe in last days bible prophecy are the trouble."We have to be dealt with as the enemy of a peaceful world order..

Does anyone remember in 2000 the F.B.I and UN had document called"The Meggido Project??,that stated That endtime believers had to be dealt with,because they were going to cause problems...DHS called us Christians and other religions :Fundamentalist

heres what the "Megiddo Project states.....http://www.constitution.org/y2k/megiddo.pdf

I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The year 2000 is being discussed and debated at all levels of society. Most of the
discussions regarding this issue revolve around the topic of technology and our society's
overwhelming dependence on the multitude of computers and computer chips which make our
world run smoothly. However, the upcoming millennium also holds important implications
beyond the issue of computer technology. Many extremist individuals and groups place some
significance on the next millennium, and as such it will present challenges to law enforcement at
many levels. The significance is based primarily upon either religious beliefs relating to the
Apocalypse or political beliefs relating to the New World Order (NWO) conspiracy theory. The
challenge is how well law enforcement will prepare and respond.
The following report, entitled "Project Megiddo," is intended to analyze the potential for
extremist criminal activity in the United States by individuals or domestic extremist groups who
profess an apocalyptic view of the millennium or attach special significance to the year 2000. The
purpose behind this assessment is to provide law enforcement agencies with a clear picture of
potential extremism motivated by the next millennium. The report does not contain information
on domestic terrorist groups whose actions are not influenced by the year 2000.
There are numerous difficulties involved in providing a thorough analysis of domestic
security threats catalyzed by the new millennium. Quite simply, the very nature of the current
domestic terrorism threat places severe limitations on effective intelligence gathering and
evaluation. Ideological and philosophical belief systems which attach importance, and possibly
violence, to the millennium have been well-articulated. From a law enforcement perspective, the
problem therefore is not a lack of understanding of motivating ideologies: The fundamental
problem is that the traditional focal point for counterterrorism analysis -- the terrorist group -- is
not always well-defined or relevant in the current environment.
The general trend in domestic extremism is the terrorist’s disavowal of traditional,
hierarchical, and structured terrorist organizations. Even well-established militias, which tend to
organize along military lines with central control, are characterized by factionalism and disunity

acceptedinthebeloved

Well, Obama is on the right track, anyway. Change is definitely needed.

The change the world needs is to turn back to the One who is Faithful and True, Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Right.

Will he promote that however? :thinking:

To me, his speech (though using the Bible) sure seemed to strongly hint toward, or imply, that this "change" must come about via some other means. :tsk:

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Please let's not get into conspiracy theories over this. I don't care who has hollow-points. Or why they got them. God is in control. My life is in HIS hands and will not end until the moment He says it will. And whenever He wants me dead is fine by me. I can hardly wait to get home anyway. Do you all not think in the same way about your life?

Lily

Looking Up
and told the nation that it must change to prevent such horror in the future.
Have we learned anything these past four years? Exactly what does Obama mean when he says we (Americans) must change?

Is he not saying that the Constitution must change? Specifically, the right to bear arms? That's my understanding.

The word "change" coming from Obama is loaded with obscure meanings. He's become an expert at taking pen in hand and abusing his power via Executive Orders.

Editor1

I take what he said at face value.... that the status quo is unacceptable and we need to change. Now, there are plenty of ways to bring about change.

If a constitutional amendment is needed, fine. There have been plenty of them over 200+ years, as would be expected. It took a constitutional amendment to abolish slavery and another to give women the right to vote. As society changes over time, the constitution gets amended to reflect that. Heck, some people even wanted an amendment to try to ban same-sex marriage.

I would like to see fewer guns on the streets. I'm not going to suggest at the moment how to accomplish that, but that would be a worthwhile goal in trying to prevent these sort of incidents from happening in the future.

No, I don't trust the government entirely. However, I trust the government far more than I trust private individuals and corporations.

Lily

Looking Up
I take what he said at face value.... that the status quo is unacceptable and we need to change. Now, there are plenty of ways to bring about change.

If a constitutional amendment is needed, fine. There have been plenty of them over 200+ years, as would be expected. It took a constitutional amendment to abolish slavery and another to give women the right to vote. As society changes over time, the constitution gets amended to reflect that. Heck, some people even wanted an amendment to try to ban same-sex marriage.

I would like to see fewer guns on the streets. I'm not going to suggest at the moment how to accomplish that, but that would be a worthwhile goal in trying to prevent these sort of incidents from happening in the future.

No, I don't trust the government entirely. However, I trust the government far more than I trust private individuals and corporations.
The change we need is to turn to God. That is the only change that will make any difference. You are still trying to fix the problems from the outside. The problem is the human condition, the sin nature.

There is post after post here, article after article explaining why taking away guns won't work, and you write yet another post advocating taking guns away from people who did nothing wrong.

Trusting the government is just naive, plain and simple. All I can think is that you went to public school and the school taught what it does now days: Individuals and corporations are bad and government is good. :ohno

There truly is a reality that you just don't know.

Littlejoe

Obama’s record as an aggressive gun-grabber is clear and during his second term he will have little to fear from defenders of the Second Amendment.