Obama Bypasses Congress to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars -- Beginning in '14

Littlejoe

Obama Bypasses Congress to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars -- Beginning in '14 | CNS News

(CNSNews.com) - Bypassing Congress, the Obama administration has issued a proposed administrative rule, which if adopted, would mandate the installation of "black boxes" in all automobiles and light trucks beginning in 2014.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) proposed the regulation on Dec. 7, which it said “would capture valuable safety-related data in the seconds before and during a motor vehicle crash.”

The proposed standard would require automakers to install event data recorders (EDRs) – so-called “black box devices” -- to collect specific safety related data in all light passenger vehicles beginning Sept. 1, 2014.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said approximately 96 percent of model year 2013 passenger cars and light-duty vehicles are already equipped with black-box capability.

“By understanding how drivers respond in a crash and whether key safety systems operate properly, NHTSA and automakers can make our vehicles and our roadways even safer,” LaHood said in a news release. “This proposal will give us the critical insight and information we need to save more lives.”

EDRs do not collect any personal identifying information or record conversations and do not run continuously, according to LaHood.

After a crash or air bag deploys, the EDR would collects data in the seconds before and during a crash, including: vehicle speed; whether the brake was activated in the moments before a crash; crash forces at the moment of impact; information about the state of the engine throttle; air bag deployment timing and air bag readiness prior to the crash and whether the vehicle occupant’s seat belt was buckled.

But Horace Cooper of the National Center for Public Policy Analysis called the move “an unprecedented breach of privacy for Americans.”

“Not only will this new requirement give new resources and data to the DOT to support more economically-damaging regulations in the future, this mandate itself represents an unprecedented breach of privacy for Americans,” he said.

Cooper said that contrary to what is being claimed, EDRs “can and will track the comings and goings of car owners and even their passengers.”

Black boxes, he said, are already being used to track myriad activities -- and what they can record is virtually unlimited, he said.

“EDRs not only provide details necessary for accident investigation, they can also track travel records, passenger usage, cell phone use and other private data -- who you visit, what you weigh, how often you call your mother and more is captured by these devices,” he said.

House Republicans, citing privacy concerns, had succeeded in removing a Senate provision requiring EDRs from the final transportation bill earlier this year.

But GOP members were not alone in their concerns about the proposal. Rep. Mike Capuano (D-Mass.) tried unsuccessfully to introduce a measure that would allow car owners to disconnect or disable EDRs.

"Consumers should have control over the information collected by event data recorders in vehicles that they own and they should have the option of disabling the device if they choose to do so. This is a basic issue of privacy," Rep. Capuano said at the time, in a statement.

The public now has 60 days to comment on the proposed rule, which will be published in the Federal Register.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Many cars are already equipped with "black box" recorders. According to the automotive site The Car Connection, 92% of vehicles sold in the U.S. carry them, including all GM, Ford, and Toyota models.

"In a press release, AAA says that it supports NHTSA's goal of requiring black box recorders on new vehicles in 2015. The data that those devices collect on seat belt usage, vehicle speed, braking, steering, and other factors can provide important information about accidents, improving safety and, if necessary, facilitating recalls. However, AAA insists that before any regulations go into effect, they must include provisions to protect consumer privacy. AAA's president and CEO, Robert Darbelnet, says that 'Data recording devices play a critical role in advancing vehicle safety, but motorists should own the data their vehicle generates.... Congress needs to ensure motorist rights are protected by passing legislation that prohibits access to data without permission from the owner or from a court order, unless the data is used for research purposes and cannot be tracked to a single vehicle.'"

UCT

Working in the insurance biz, let me tell you how I see this playing out.....

The black boxes will be used in fatality incidents. The speed of the vehicle at the moment of impact/crash will be determined. Your "pattern" of driving just before an accident will be reviewed, likely by a computer, to determine if you have been drinking or driving carelessly (texting).

I was against this at first, but am not now. Look, we're already being tracked by our debit cards, credit cards, cell phones (even when they aren't turned on), internet usage, satellites/cable tv.... It is all monitored. Most is simply for advertising purposes, but you ARE being monitored. Your bank account is being watched, many of us have home security systems which mean we are being monitored by someone all the time.... The black box isn't going to track you any more than what you are already being tracked and could actually benefit some people. It will take a lot of the guess work out of trials involving auto accidents. Just my $.02

Lily

Looking Up
I don't know... I see the point, what's one more thing to be watched about?

I don't like being watched, I'm sorry. I know it's here to stay, but it is nobody's business to keep track of every little thing I do. I can't even get a grocery store's sale item anymore without swiping their card. My billfold is bulging with store cards, just so I can save a little money. (The stores make you get these cards so they can track your habits.)

It's past the point of no return, so I've thrown up my hands in defeat. This very minute you all are a witness to my giving up. I'm so tired of fighting for every little thing.

I listened to those who swore I was doing the devil's work if I didn't vote for Romney. So, I voted. Thank goodness I didn't give any money to that lost cause. Fight!, they say. The U.S. is in decline because Christian's didn't fight hard enough for this or that.

Keep on fighting Christian, because you're part of the problem if you don't. I beg to differ, the world is not in decline because of anything the Christian did or didn't do. So stop trying to make me feel guilty.

I'm tired of it. Bone weary. I just cancelled my cable tv, and I'm this close to letting the internet go. I will be isolated from most worldly things and if that makes me part of the problem, then I guess I am.

It is wrong for Obama to bypass Congress, no matter how noble the cause, and he just keeps getting away with it. It's over, I see the handwriting on the wall.

Littlejoe

A little bit more,a little bit more Americans,and world are losing more and of our freedoms,and privacy in return getting security(they say)from Governments!!

araj54

Lily: Were you reading my mind in that last post? :lol:

(The stores make you get these cards so they can track your habits.)
My grocery store does this also and it bugs me to no end. But what do you do?:idunno: Maybe one of these days the food police will stop by and confiscate my Oreo cookies. :lol:

Keep on fighting Christian, because you're part of the problem if you don't. I beg to differ, the world is not in decline because of anything the Christian did or didn't do. So stop trying to make me feel guilty.
I've noticed this attitude also in articles and posts on message boards. The fact remains that we each have work to do, and the Holy Spirit will lead us daily if we submit our will to Him. So if those folks that complain that I'm not involved in their "concern of the day" they can take it up with Him.

I hope you don't get rid of your internet, I for one would miss you on the board.:hug Of course that is being selfish, and you like all of us will do what you feel is best for you.

I'm :pray:that God gives you the peace He has given me about all that is happening, because, like you, I see where it's heading. But we are citizens of His Kingdom, and our lives are in His very capable hands. :yeah:

brethorn56

Even Darwin Believes Now!!!
All the technology advances, all the surveillance, monitoring, whatever, is leading up to the end times where the AC and his one world government will be watching, listening, and requiring his complete adoration and loyalty as a god. If not, he will have the tracking tools necessary to find you and march you out into the desert where you will be shot, or, chop your head off.

Pretty simple really!!!

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
We have reached the age of being watched and tracked; started with social security, cameras, cards, internet, microphones, gps, cell phones, internet ID, bar codes, chips, tattoos, black boxes, etc... We knew this day would come and it has eventually seeped into every area of our lives; it just proves scripture is prophetically accurate and the rapture is right around the corner.

Last edited:

Lily

Looking Up
Lily: Were you reading my mind in that last post? :lol:

:hehheh

My grocery store does this also and it bugs me to no end. But what do you do?:idunno: Maybe one of these days the food police will stop by and confiscate my Oreo cookies. :lol:

:((

I've noticed this attitude also in articles and posts on message boards. The fact remains that we each have work to do, and the Holy Spirit will lead us daily if we submit our will to Him. So if those folks that complain that I'm not involved in their "concern of the day" they can take it up with Him.

:thumbup

I hope you don't get rid of your internet, I for one would miss you on the board.:hug Of course that is being selfish, and you like all of us will do what you feel is best for you.

ahh you really made my day. Thank you for your kind words. :hug
For now I'm keeping my internet, I was just tempted to throw in the towel earlier today. I've calmed down a bit.

I'm :pray:that God gives you the peace He has given me about all that is happening, because, like you, I see where it's heading. But we are citizens of His Kingdom, and our lives are in His very capable hands. :yeah:
I think your prayer helped. I do feel a sense of peace right now.
Thank you for your post, it encouraged me and I needed to be encouraged today. It's been a tough few days.

May God bless you. :hug

(I haven't a clue how some of this ended up in quote form, and some not. I'm afraid I'd make a mess of it if I tried fixing it.)