NOVA explores mysteries of Roman Colosseum and Petra archictecture

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
http://video.pbs.org/program/nova/

I recently watched several Nova productions, one about the Roman Colosseum http://video.pbs.org/video/2365423149/ and one about Petra http://video.pbs.org/video/2365427585/, both of which I highly recommend to those who have not seen them!

The one about the Roman Colosseum made me wonder if the Colosseum is being reconstructed for the coming great tribulation actually. And the one about Petra made me wonder the exact same thing, though that possibility is not mentioned at all on the programs of course!

Edited to add media links

Last edited:

milestogo

In many prophecy discussions it is believed during the Tribulations when Israel is invaded, the Jews who escape immediately will flee to Petra because of the easy defense with natural stone high enough no one can access unless by air. It is believed God will provide for them for 3 1/2 years there..

The Coliseum has been deteriorating and their cement has been studied in order to repair it and found to be far superior to modern cement. Since you mention it, it is possible that sadistic, Satan-prompted rulers could try to recreate the gladiator or wild beast vs Christians horrors again.

WKUHilltopper

I read somewhere or saw some documentary years ago about a preacher or someone--back in the 1920s--read Revelation and concluded the Lord would protect the Jews at Petra in the last days. As such, he apparently hid crates of Bibles (with New Testament) so they could have access to these and better understand what was happening. I hope this is true.

milestogo

I read somewhere or saw some documentary years ago about a preacher or someone--back in the 1920s--read Revelation and concluded the Lord would protect the Jews at Petra in the last days. As such, he apparently hid crates of Bibles (with New Testament) so they could have access to these and better understand what was happening. I hope this is true.
There is still one or more ministry(ies) which is/are storing Bibles, blankets and supplies for those who escape to Petra and also attempting to send the Scriptural warning to flee without hesitation the moment invasion of Israel begins.

are you ready

http://video.pbs.org/program/nova/

I recently watched several Nova productions, one about the Roman Colosseum http://video.pbs.org/video/2365423149/ and one about Petra http://video.pbs.org/video/2365427585/, both of which I highly recommend to those who have not seen them!

The one about the Roman Colosseum made me wonder if the Colosseum is being reconstructed for the coming great tribulation actually. And the one about Petra made me wonder the exact same thing, though that possibility is not mentioned at all on the programs of course!

Thank You mbrown1219,Those two shows were really good and I also found two more to watch also. I've watched shows on there channel a lot,the channel is here in Kansas City also.

Last edited:
As an additional point on Petra being the likely place of refuge for Israel, Daniel 11:41 is an amazing verse:

"He will also enter the Beautiful Land, and many countries will fall; but these will be rescued out of his hand: Edom, Moab and the foremost of the sons of Ammon." Daniel 11:41

It is amazing to think that the only land noted as being rescued out of the hand of the antichrist is what we would understand to describe as modern Jordan.

UCT

If you do a Google Image search on Petra, you will find some amazing pictures. One of them takes you to a website with a virtual tour. Pastors estimate Petra could hold 20,000 people comfortably, if necessary. That doesn't sound like many, but if you figure the wars to come, and the certain losses on Israel's side, that may be about right. That said, if God wants to put 400,000 in there, they'll fit. lol Anyone that can feed 5,000 people with a fish can certainly squeeze some extra people into a hiding place.

Anyway, do an image search. It's fascinating. The place is beautiful. Also, Wikipedia has an entry on the guy who left all the Bibles there. As someone mentioned above, people are still doing it today. When they arrive, they will have nourishment for body and soul.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
:idunno

Seems silly to me that people are leaving stuff for the future residents at Petra. What? Don't we know God will provide for them? Israel will have 144,000 Prophets sealed by God during the tribulation! Surely some of them (if not ALL of them) will be hidden from AC with the remnant who will all be protected from the AC until His (Jesus') glorious appearing at the end of the great tribulation! All who are hidden there will be saved by God and will go into the Millennial Kingdom...

UCT

When I read about people putting things in Petra, I look at it this way; This may be the Lord providing for the future residents. They will certainly have plenty of Bibles and I'm certain some of those missionaries are storing water. I have no idea if they are doing anything else there, but who is to say it isn't the Lord working through those people today, and positively showing the entire world that he will take care of his children? He doesn't have to make cheeseburgers rain from the sky to prove he is the King of Kings. The fact that people have been preparing and restoring that site for decades is amazing, to me, and shows the Lord is already watching out for his children.

UCT

I guess a better example would be this; God had Noah build an Ark. He didn't surround him with a speedboat, nor did he ask him to do nothing. He had to fill the Ark with the animals and food. Petra is not much different than the Ark. It's a safe haven during a horrible time. How the Lord chooses to stock the place is his. Throughout modern history, God has used missionaries and other people to do his will. Missionaries provide food, clothing and sound christian theology to countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. God could easily just walk in the front door of the homes of those individuals, but he didn't. He sent others to do it. So, while our Lord and do anything he chooses, even making Big Macs fall from orbit, he has not traditionally done so outside of the Exodus. Maybe he will once again provide Manna for his people, but one thing is for certain, his word in written form will be there waiting for them when they arrive. Thank you Lord for that.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I think it would be a nice vacation destination right now, and found there are Petra Tours going on which I previously had no idea about!

http://www.petrafromisrael.com/?gcl...GGb-AEELVxPY486M4_xsklkZwcV7-fMAsgaAkUs8P8HAQ

According to the NOVA show on Petra, I became interested in the possibility of current day reconstruction of the water pipe infrastructure. To me, that would make a lot of sense in the way of preparation for the tribulation.

Walter Kerr

I tried to look at the Petra video but for some reason it is "not available to people in (my) region" whatever that may mean.

I spent a few days in Petra in 1977 and it is an amazing and wonderful place. It is a huge area and we had no hope of seeing it all in the three days we were there, despite our best efforts. So the prospects of fitting a large number of people in there do not surprise me at all. It is a highly defendable place, but not from aircraft. There were very many cave-like structures, man made and, whilst not the Petra Hilton, they would never-the-less be a quite acceptable place to hide out for a while.

We had to drive in from Lebanon via Damascus due to (believe it or not) a war, but it is not all that far from Jerusalem "as the crow flies" so, geographically, it is not hard to imagine that people could escape from Israel to Petra in just a few hours.

We will never know, I suppose, but the specualtion is reasonable.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I tried to look at the Petra video but for some reason it is "not available to people in (my) region" whatever that may mean.
I did an internet search to see if I could find it for you some other way other than Public Broadcast System (PBS) in the US. I could not as yet.

:( Sorry my friend!

are you ready

I spent a few days in Petra in 1977 and it is an amazing and wonderful place. It is a huge area and we had no hope of seeing it all in the three days we were there, despite our best efforts. So the prospects of fitting a large number of people in there do not surprise me at all. It is a highly defendable place, but not from aircraft. There were very many cave-like structures, man made and, whilst not the Petra Hilton, they would never-the-less be a quite acceptable place to hide out for a while.

We had to drive in from Lebanon via Damascus due to (believe it or not) a war, but it is not all that far from Jerusalem "as the crow flies" so, geographically, it is not hard to imagine that people could escape from Israel to Petra in just a few hours.

We will never know, I suppose, but the specualtion is reasonable.

Walter Kerr,Hear is something I found,it may not be as long as the one mbrown1219 is's.It is on a youtube. It is called"the City of Petra,Jordon on HD.

Last edited:
Back