Not sure about heaven

Psalm37v4

I used to think going to heaven was going to be so wonderful when I die...I was always under the belief that we will get to enjoy what God has made for us, do as we wish, etc. as well as meet others.

In the last few years however, I have begun to hear differently. I am told that we'll be busy doing God's work, given authority, etc.
For me, this conjures up images of hard labor, being so overwhelmed and busy with work I won't be able to enjoy anything, and not a chance at doing what I wish, or getting to meet or talk with anyone like the disciples, because we'll all be "busy." NO, I certainly don't want to go to hell and be tortured forever and ever, but I'm also wondering if heaven will not be as enjoyable for some, who haven't done that much for the Lord and won't get many rewards. I want to be with the Lord, but the idea of hard labor non stop isn't pleasant.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Andy C

I used to think going to heaven was going to be so wonderful when I die...I was always under the belief that we will get to enjoy what God has made for us, do as we wish, etc. as well as meet others.

In the last few years however, I have begun to hear differently. I am told that we'll be busy doing God's work, given authority, etc.
For me, this conjures up images of hard labor, being so overwhelmed and busy with work I won't be able to enjoy anything, and not a chance at doing what I wish, or getting to meet or talk with anyone like the disciples, because we'll all be "busy." NO, I certainly don't want to go to hell and be tortured forever and ever, but I'm also wondering if heaven will not be as enjoyable for some, who haven't done that much for the Lord and won't get many rewards. I want to be with the Lord, but the idea of hard labor non stop isn't pleasant.

Any ideas?
Perhaps this thread from a few years ago, with 271 replies will help you.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/thoughts-on-eternity.115432/

Any ideas?
My idea is that you can believe about five percent of what you've heard, or even thought of yourself, and discard the rest as speculation. No eye has seen it, no man has conjured it in his imagination.

Goodboy

Any ideas?
Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Gen 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

First of all I don't believe we will be constantly busy doing God's work. I believe there will be plenty of time to do whatever we want. However, we will be doing God's work, but only because that is what we want to do and enjoy. We only find work to be a negative thing because of the fall. Work was never meant to be negative. Adam and Eve tended the garden, but enjoyed it.

In any case please don't get it twisted, Heaven will be so enjoyable that it can not be described to our understanding. :)

kathymendel

Adam worked for God in Eden..................but, there was no sweat of the brow. He named the animals, perhaps he pulled them out of a thicket when he found them there. All food for the animals and for Adam and Eve was provided by God. There were no weeds to till, the morning dew kept them watered. It never said Adam "toiled" until after the fall, when they were out of the Garden.

Personally, I don't think I want to have my way of "doing what I want" in heaven. I think those kind of feelings will no longer exist for us. We will be so happy to be with Jesus, we will WANT to serve Him in any capacity required, we will ENJOY it. And, I truly believe there will be "time" in eternity for us to rest, (if our new bodies even need rest), to explore and to enjoy all He has for us there.