North Korea threatens attack on US base

Kris762

North Korea threatens attack on US base at Guam after reports it has missile-ready nuclear warhead
046689647e2838668a3ae8d014c09996

Staff writers, AP, AFP, News Corp Australia Network
19 minutes ago
046689647e2838668a3ae8d014c09996

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has issued an apocalyptic warning of “fire and fury like the world has never seen” after reports North Korea has produced a missile-ready nuke.

Hours later, a spokesman for the North Korean People’s Army stated a plan was being formulated to attack the US military base on the island of Guam.

The report carried by the state-run KCNA news agency said the strike plan will be “put into practice in a multi-current and consecutive way any moment” once leader Kim Jong Un makes a decision.

“The execution of this plan will offer an occasion for the Yankees to be the first to experience the might of the strategic weapons of the DPRK,” the report reads.

“If the Yankees brandish the nuclear stick on this land again despite our repeated warnings, we will clearly teach them how to behave with the nuclear strategic force which we have shown them one by one so far,” an earlier KCNA commentary quoted a senior official as saying.

NUCLEAR ALARM
US officials have reportedly confirmed the Pyongyang regime has successfully produced a miniaturised nuclear warhead that can fit inside its missiles.

If true, the development means the rogue state has crossed a key threshold on the path to becoming a fully-fledged nuclear power. It also means it is potentially capable of packing the weapon of mass destruction inside an intercontinental ballistic missile.

25b6d007653066983d02f3c51a2c90d1

North Korea's intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), Hwasong-14 being launched at an undisclosed place in North Korea. Picture: AFP
The claims were made in the Washington Post , citing a confidential assessment by the US Defense Intelligence Agency.

The revelation comes a day after North Korea said it would launch a “thousands-fold” revenge against the US over the adoption of tough UN sanctions imposed after its intercontinental ballistic launches.

TEACHING ‘YANKEES’ HOW TO BEHAVE
“The provocative ‘preventive war’ the US has devised…will be countered with a just all-out war of wiping out…the US mainland.”

These inciteful words come from one of several statements issued by North Korean state news agency KCNA this morning in response to President Trump’s apocalyptic outburst.

They warn “the nuclear war hysteria of the US authorities including Trump has reached an extremely reckless and rash phase for an actual war”.

KCNA highlights flyovers by US nuclear strategic bombers as being the cause for drawing up plans to strike their base on the island of Guam.

23aa21fcc544cc53fa1f0362f97ca10e

AUS Air Force B-1B Lancer (top) being joined by Republic of Korea air force F-15s, during a 10-hour mission from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, into Japanese airspace and over the Korean Peninsula. American forces on July 30. Picture: AFP
“Such military manoeuvres of the US may provoke a dangerous conflict under the present extremely acute situation prevailing,” a statement reads.

“This grave situation requires the KPA to closely watch Guam, the outpost and beachhead for invading the DPRK, and necessarily take practical actions of significance to neutralise it.”

Guam is one of several naval and air facilities maintained by the US in the region, including Okinawa,

“The KPA Strategic Force is now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with medium-to-long range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12 in order to contain the US major military bases on Guam ...”, the statement says.

“The execution of this plan will offer an occasion for the Yankees to be the first to experience the might of the strategic weapons of the DPRK”

TRUMP PROMISES FIRE
Following the report of North Korea successfully miniaturising a nuclear device, Mr Trump told a press briefing that North Korea would be met with “fire and fury like the world has never seen” if they made any more threats to the United States.

Speaking while on vacation at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, Mr Trump said: “He has been very threatening beyond a normal state. North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States.”

He added: “He has been very threatening. As I said, they will be met with fire, fury and frankly power the likes of which this world has never seen before.”

Officials at the DIA would not comment Tuesday on the report. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence has not commented.

66f8ada2f0a4e1f4d487b0832b003b3f

US President Donald Trump speaks about North Korea at a meeting with administration officials at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey. Picture: Nicholas Kamm/AFP
FEARSOME ARSENAL
The latest revelations come a month after the US said that it believed that up to 60 nuclear weapons are now controlled by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, far more than previously thought.

Japan’s Defence Ministry concluded in an annual white paper released yesterday that “it is possible that North Korea has achieved the miniaturisation of nuclear weapons and has developed nuclear warheads.” Japan, a key US ally, is also a potential target of North Korean aggression.

It has on several deployed Patriot Missile Defence batteries around key cities and military sites to counter North Korea’s missile threats.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wor...d/news-story/046689647e2838668a3ae8d014c09996

Kris762

I remember a time when a country like NK would have thought long and hard and deliberated for weeks before making a threat the likes of which we see today being levelled at the US. It's time for America to show that it is still top dog and making such existential threats come at a severe price. The world is in a bad state, any weakness both politically and militarily will be exploited by the Wests current day foes.

There's a time to fight, and although none of us want to see the death and destruction a war against NK would bring, I think that time is now. The era of appeasement is over, as Churchhill once said ; an appeasist is someone who keeps feeding the crocodile in the hope it will eat him last.

RapturiteSean

The problem Mr Trump has is in convincing the NK's that he is serious.

For years Mr Obama had threatened rogue nations that ''if you do this we will do that'' Unfortunately, they did ''do this'' and the US didn't ''do that''. An awful lot of red paint has been wasted. The US did plenty of barking but no biting. Rogue nations are no longer frightened by being barked at.

I would hate the US to make a major attack on NK - because the US is more than capable of turning the whole region into dust. War could mean millions of people dying - including the many millions of helpless slaves that are the NK population.

If the US could somehow target the dear little leader instead of the country itself it would be far more merciful. Surely that is not beyond the US's capability.

The US needs to think of a solution. The sanctions are not working. The slaves are starving while the dear little leader is getting fatter and his terrified elderly generals are very unlikely to overthrow him.

Last edited:

duckdogger

I would hate the US to make a major attack on NK - because the US is more than capable of turning the whole region into dust. War could mean millions of people dying - including the many millions of helpless slaves that are the NK population.
True. But I would rather it be theirs and not ours. But the preference would be obliteration of the NK command and control personnel and support structures.

RapturiteSean

True. But I would rather it be theirs and not ours. But the preference would be obliteration of the NK command and control personnel and support structures.

I wonder if the US could target the missile site during the next launch. That way they may kill Kim, as he always seems to be at the launches, and some of his generals. I don't think you need to get all the generals. They too are just slaves.

duckdogger

I wonder if the US could target the missile site during the next launch. That way they may kill Kim, as he always seems to be at the launches, and some of his generals. I don't think you need to get all the generals. They too are just slaves.
I have to believe we have the ability but do we have the resolve? Does our leadership understand fully the level of threat?

DanLMP

From among those slaves would be their next potential leader.

Another issue. I realize that Kim is calling his shots and that it is a potential benefit to us but...I am still aghast at the lack of operational security.
Obama used to do this too.

athenasius

For years Mr Obama had threatened rogue nations that ''if you do this we will do that'' Unfortunately, they did ''do this'' and the US didn't ''do that''. An awful lot of red paint has been wasted. The US did plenty of barking but no biting. Rogue nations are no longer frightened by being barked at.
Too right! Obama taught Iran and North Korea that they'll be rewarded for bad behaviour either paying Iran or continuing to ignore NK, all while signalling Moscow that red lines didn't mean a thing. So we had Russia invading the Ukraine's Crimea, and annexing it. We had Russia and Iran moving into Syria. We had Obama stop Israel from taking out Iran's nuke factories, then rewarding Iran with bundles of cash for doing absolutely nothing.

The nasty players around the world didn't get to the top of their respective garbage heaps by being nice or stupid. They are fast learners and quick to spot and then take advantage of an enemy's weaknesses.

I expect Trump's math will aim for the least casualties possible with the maximum effect, rather like his well timed strike on Syria's airfield after Assad's gas attacks on his own people. Trump did it while waiting for dessert with the Chinese Prime Minister beside him.

He can't wait too long or this will reinforce the Obama model of leadership from behind and spraying money and respect for ones enemies. I believe that is a classic behaviour for non muslims in muslim conquered zones. Dhimmitude.

He can't allow this threat to Guam to continue because this will simply escalate till Guam is a heap of ash. They shouldn't have to become the new Pearl Harbour.

georgeO

I remember several years ago that a Georgia congressman made the comment about additional military personnel on the island would make it tilt and go under water. Guam was supposedly balanced on an underwater volcano or mountain top. I just thought I would throw that out there for kicks if anyone remembers.

Andrew

Well known member
North Korea Guam missile strike plan 'ready by mid-August'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40883372

North Korea says its plan to fire four missiles near the US territory of Guam will soon be ready, as a war of words with Washington intensifies.

State media said Hwasong-12 rockets would pass over Japan and land in the sea about 30km (17 miles) from Guam, if the plan was approved by Kim Jong-un.

RapturiteSean

I believe the US could still completely turn NK to ashes - even without nukes.

The UK has said if NK attack the US the UK would help the US militarily.

The UN would have no say about the US protecting itself - even if it acted preemptively to avoid being attacked.

Last edited:

Kris762

Kris762

The US could win a war with NK inside an hour if it had no other choice, however the west has a moral compass and I think no one would like to be the one deciding to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike. Additionally, the unknown reaction from China Russia Iran Pakistan et al may also be a concern that I think would limit the US to decide to use more of a coventional type attack. I don't think anyone wants to instigate a possible WWIII scenario, it would be horrific. Sending a nuclear missile into a populated area like the NK capital would obviously kill hundreds of thousands of people instantly, I don't think anyone wants to ever witness such death and destruction on that scale in their life time. However, should little Kim launch first then it's fair game and the Wests hand will be forced.