Normal and Catastrophic

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Normal and Catastrophic
By Hal Lindsey

Much of the world lives in a split reality — divided between normalcy and despair. Most adults understand that at any given time, there are any number of possible calamities bearing down on the earth. Nuclear threats from Russia and/or China could mean disaster tomorrow. Economic meltdown could be only days away. A new plague could hit with more speed and greater impact than the last one.

But such fears do not change the routine patterns of daily life. Most folks will get up tomorrow morning, go to work or school, return home at the appointed time, and generally go about their daily routines. Young people (and some older ones) will fall in love and get married. People will spend a surprisingly large part of their day on food — working to pay for it, going out to shop for it, then purchasing it, preparing it for consumption, eating it, and finally cleaning up the mess. Who has time to worry about calamities?

In Matthew 24:37-38 (NASB), Jesus said, “The coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, they were marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark.”

This scripture means that the basic pursuits of humanity will continue, even as people adjust to new and growing problems. It does not mean that everything will stay the same. Earlier in the same chapter, Jesus talked about the days leading up to His return as a time of extraordinary earthquakes, famines, and wars. He warned of lawlessness, false prophets, and persecution. Those dangers will grow, and they will be everywhere.

It will become almost unbearable during the tribulation. Thankfully, those who are in Christ today will be gone by that time. But we are already experiencing the beginnings of those things that will manifest themselves so severely later on. As a result, people are experiencing a tremendous increase in stress, discouragement, loneliness, and fear.

We live in a time when everyday life falls deeper into the shadow of impending doom.

The answer can be found in God and His word. The answer is Jesus. We need to say that out loud, and to say it often. Sometimes Christians despair of saying it because they know that an entire generation has been trained to disregard everything they hear about Jesus or the Bible. Like Pavlov’s dogs, they are trained for a specific response to certain stimuli. They are trained to disregard the Savior of the world, and to disdain those who mention Him.

But we must keep speaking the truth. Romans 3:3 tells us that “unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God.” In Isaiah 55:11, God said, “My word…shall not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.”

Keep telling others. Be neither bashful nor belligerent. Speak in love, but speak. The people around you are hungry, and you carry with you the Bread of Life. Show them Who that is. Galatians 6:9 says, “Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.”

https://www.raptureforums.com/end-times/normal-and-catastrophic/

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I always found Romans 3:3 very encouraging .

Romans 3:3
For what if some did not believe ? shall
their unbelief make the faith of God
without effect?

Keep on planting seeds.
Keep on praying .
Don't be discouraged.

Hebrews 10:23

Let us hold fast the profession of our
faith without wavering; (for he is faithful
that promised; )

athenasius

That sums it up so well. I want to bury myself in reading articles here and prayer, but then have to turn back to the day job, because for now we have to carry on as best we can.
The day job is what God has us doing, that and the ordinary daily life bits, intermixed with prayers and a general awareness of the soon arrival of Christ. The day job is where God has us, we pray and sometimes speak to our bosses and coworkers/clients as God opens the door. We are aware of the time passing, the soon return of Jesus and it's a balancing act.

Prayer is not always externally obvious, on my knees--but frequently in my mind as I would come across a serious situation or the Lord would draw my attention to a particular patient's need for prayer. An attitude of continual mental conversation with the Lord. Quietly rejoicing over good things, talking to Him, a dialogue that is prayer even though it isn't on my knees.

Ephesians 6 --the daily battle but verse 18 used to bother me. How could I pray always? I had a job to do, things to get done.

Then it occurred to me that it was an open dialogue on the inside of me that wasn't always visible. Me talking to the Lord in my head about everything and pausing in silence just as if the Lord was beside me and I would shut up for Him to speak.

That gave me time to think about what I was doing, which was part of my job but it made more sense when I realized the Holy Spirit is inside me always, so I can be in a form of continual communication even if I wasn't actively talking to God in my head or out loud.

Eph 6: 10-18
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

Paul's emphasis on standing is an active stance. Withstanding the enemy, holding my ground in Christ's strength, carrying on the work I'm engaged in, even washing dishes, doing laundry and puttering around the apartment now in an ongoing conversation with the Lord.

Not letting the enemy push me around, or dictate my focus. Staying in the peace of the Lord even though that is a fierce battle at times.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
That gave me time to think about what I was doing, which was part of my job but it made more sense when I realized the Holy Spirit is inside me always, so I can be in a form of continual communication even if I wasn't actively talking to God in my head or out loud.

Paul's emphasis on standing is an active stance. Withstanding the enemy, holding my ground in Christ's strength, carrying on the work I'm engaged in, even washing dishes, doing laundry and puttering around the apartment now in an ongoing conversation with the Lord.

Not letting the enemy push me around, or dictate my focus. Staying in the peace of the Lord even though that is a fierce battle at times.
This is so encouraging. My husband has this ability to be always consciously talking with the Lord in his head all day long. I have begged the Lord for this ability but can never seem to stay in that state. He was a house painter and worked by himself, but I was in healthcare which required all of my focus, so I know that made a difference. But even at home as I do chores, I can’t seem to maintain that constancy that he does. It hasn’t occurred to me that I could be in conversation with Him without even being conscious of it. (Despite the verse about the Holy Spirit “groaning” within us - that never seemed conversational to me) And that simply standing my ground, not allowing the enemy to dictate my thoughts, and maintaining my peace is just as significant.
And now I’m reminded of what a member posted to me a while back - that even singing praise and worship songs out loud or in my head are like a prayer.

Last edited:

JamesSuth

Ephesians 6 --the daily battle but verse 18 used to bother me. How could I pray always? I had a job to do, things to get done.

Then it occurred to me that it was an open dialogue on the inside of me that wasn't always visible. Me talking to the Lord in my head about everything and pausing in silence just as if the Lord was beside me and I would shut up for Him to speak.
So encouraging, thank you. I came to the same realisation a while back . I have an obsessive personality and I feel recently God is reminding me to 'rest' in Him - I don't need to be constantly chattering because we are always in fellowship. I am aware of His being with me, and when I speaks I hear his voice. And I do a fair bit of talking. Whether I'm reading something, watching tv, or working, I'm always commenting or asking God about things.
It will become almost unbearable during the tribulation. Thankfully, those who are in Christ today will be gone by that time. But we are already experiencing the beginnings of those things that will manifest themselves so severely later on. As a result, people are experiencing a tremendous increase in stress, discouragement, loneliness, and fear.
An excellent motivation to keep praying for the salvation of unsaved loved ones.

Back