Noah’s Animals

MePlus6

How many animals of each kind did Noah take on the ark?

Duh. Two of each, a male and a female.

Not so fast!

Genesis 7 tells us otherwise (NASB quoted, emphasis mine):

“Then the LORD said to Noah, “Enter the ark, you and all your household, for you alone I have seen to be righteous before Me in this time. You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens, a male and his female; and of the animals that are not clean two, a male and his female; also of the birds of the sky, by sevens, male and female, to keep offspring alive on the face of all the earth.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭7:1-3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

For the KJV enthusiasts (emphasis mine):

“And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭7:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So the next time you think the ark would have been stinky with a pair of each animal, remember that there were nine pair of each animal (seven pair of clean and two of the unclean), so it would have been super stinky! :cliff

alisani

Not so fast!

“Then the LORD said to Noah, “Enter the ark, you and all your household, for you alone I have seen to be righteous before Me in this time. You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens, a male and his female; and of the animals that are not clean two, a male and his female; also of the birds of the sky, by sevens, male and female, to keep offspring alive on the face of all the earth.”

“And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.”

So the next time you think the ark would have been stinky with a pair of each animal, remember that there were nine pair of each animal (seven pair of clean and two of the unclean), so it would have been super stinky! :cliff
And I'm still supposed to blame this on the sugar?

Wings Like Eagles

Not so fast!

Yep--it would have smelled like the floating barn that it was. But they would have had ventilation from the vents that ran all around the top--producing a "chimney effect" that would have carried a lot of the stench away. The hay and straw they would have had to bring onto the boat would have absorbed a lot of the odor and, in addition, some commenters have suggested that the animals which were put on Noah's Ark were juveniles--less food required to be brought and less stink.

DanLMP

I feel bad for the times I complained about picking up after my one dog in our backyard. ;)

Every time I walk my dog I wonder who's really in charge. The dog who is doing his business or me who has to pick it up.

I already have a Special Request Chit put in to Father to not have to pick up any other creatures "business".

Solomon Kane

Yep--it would have smelled like the floating barn that it was. But they would have had ventilation from the vents that ran all around the top--producing a "chimney effect" that would have carried a lot of the stench away. The hay and straw they would have had to bring onto the boat would have absorbed a lot of the odor and, in addition, some commenters have suggested that the animals which were put on Noah's Ark were juveniles--less food required to be brought and less stink.
Problem with the juvenile theory is that a number of young animals have a high growth rate.
Going from newborns to self sufficient adults in the course of less then a year.
Even with them on the ark for total of 40 days and nights, that is still a lot of growth. Just ask anyone with a newborn pet.
In addition, there are a number of predators which need to be taught how to hunt and how to kill.
If all the animals were juveniles, one can only assume that on their release from the ark, God then instructed those predators, or reawaked their instincts on how to hunt and kill.

Wings Like Eagles

Problem with the juvenile theory is that a number of young animals have a high growth rate.
Going from newborns to self sufficient adults in the course of less then a year.
Even with them on the ark for total of 40 days and nights, that is still a lot of growth. Just ask anyone with a newborn pet.
In addition, there are a number of predators which need to be taught how to hunt and how to kill.
If all the animals were juveniles, one can only assume that on their release from the ark, God then instructed those predators, or reawaked their instincts on how to hunt and kill.
It is clear that God intervened to bring them to the Ark to begin with--a little growth retardation until they were loosed on the dry land is not difficult for God. He could also have put them in a semi-conscious state as well (like hibernation) where they woke up, ate a little and then went back to sleep.

Last edited:

DanLMP

It is clear that God intervened to bring them to the Ark to begin with--a little growth retardation until they are loosed on the dry land is not difficult for God. He could also have put them in a semi-conscious state as well (like hibernation) where they woke up, ate a little and then went back to sleep.

Not to mention how that would have helped 8 traumatized people who would otherwise need to feed and clean up after all those critters.

Len

so it would have been super stinky!
I just recently heard a message on the Noah flood and that the Ark probably had "wood shavings" or something like that littered throghout the floors to not only stop that smell but break down all the bad bacteria, and that it would do an outstanding job for years if needed...... sorry do not remember where I saw it

Kerbluey

I just recently heard a message on the Noah flood and that the Ark probably had "wood shavings" or something like that littered throghout the floors to not only stop that smell but break down all the bad bacteria, and that it would do an outstanding job for years if needed...... sorry do not remember where I saw it

And I’m sure they used this amazing stuff for their gardens after the flood.

Rocky R.

Every time I walk my dog I wonder who's really in charge. The dog who is doing his business or me who has to pick it up.

I already have a Special Request Chit put in to Father to not have to pick up any other creatures "business".
I hate to get political on a discussion like this, but I can't resist this one.... Putin controls his dog without a leash, but Obama's dog walks him!

putin-controls-his-dog-without-a-leash-obamas-dog-walks-5341569.png

Last edited:

castcrowns

It is clear that God intervened to bring them to the Ark to begin with--a little growth retardation until they were loosed on the dry land is not difficult for God. He could also have put them in a semi-conscious state as well (like hibernation) where they woke up, ate a little and then went back to sleep.
Firstly, God is sovereign over the reproduction of His Creation. It's interesting that there were no babies born on the Ark.

IMO, the animals that God brought to the Ark were very young.
They were old enough to survive without a nurturing mother, yet too young to reproduce until disembarcation.

The animals would need to be young to have many years to reproduce after the Flood.

And finally, God proves over and over that He will decide when reproduction will take place.

Twice, He commanded Creation to be fruitful and multiply.
In addition, He miraculously allowed two elderly ladies and a virgin girl to bear sons

Back