No tree at Christmas.

Discussion in 'Personal Testimonies' started by newstate, Dec 6, 2018.

1. newstate

newstate Well-Known Member

It was years, and years ago, and wife and I lived with our two young children, who were about 4, and 6 years old, and they were eager for a Christmas celebration. The trouble was we had more bills than income, and although Christmas trees were not expensive then, we had no money to buy one to celebrate the birth of the savior. We had almost everything else paid for, but there was no other money to use. We all went to our church anyway, and so we prayed specifically that the money would come from somewhere. Would it all work out for us?

It got to be about 5 days until the big day, and we were desperate. I looked in my desk, for something forgotten, and found a fifty dollar bill in an envelope. It was for a specific bill, but then I remembered that I had already paid that bill with a check, and so that fifty was ours to spend! The good thing was that in those days that fifty
    would buy more than it would today! First thing I did was go purchase a real tree at a road side stand, and they were cheaper in those days, and also it was so soon until Christmas, that they were even less expensive than usual.

Then that night we brought the kids to a discount department store for a full turkey dinner, with pumpkin pie even. We all enjoyed that, and then we brought them to a movie about a little boy who wanted an air rifle for Christmas. It was the first year for that movie to be out, and the kids loved it, and even we adults loved it. After all this we had about fifty cents left, and for the big Holiday we got a gift from relatives for about $120, and that helped get us through until Spring.

Thank you Lord, for answered prayer! Thank you for our best Christmas!
    In time money came to be much less of a problem for us. Being without money
    is difficult, but it is much worse, of course, to be without the wonderful Lord!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. Kem

Kem Citizen

I remember a Christmas where we were able to cut our own tree from acreage a friend owned. We couldn't afford a turkey or any treats and dh wished out loud but just to me, that he would really like some cheese but money was just too tight for any kind of treat at all. We paid all of our bills, always have even if it meant we did without. Anyway the very next day a gift arrived in the mail from my brother and it was a selection of cheese. Our loving Father reminding us that He had not forgotten us.

3. newstate

Thank you, Kem. Isn't the timing of the Lord great when he helps us?
    That cheese, for instance, that came at just the right time!
    Thank you Jesus!

4. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

I have a hard time sitting through that movie but both of my boys love it. I think they sit through the whole movie just to hear the parents telling the kid he could shoot his eye out with a bb gun... then he finally gets it... and...

For the last two decades (approximately), I've lived on land where I go less than 50 feet outside our house and cut down a young white spruce tree. There's usually enough of them growing in the areas that I want to keep clear as a fire break (mother nature has more energy than I do so I've never got the fire break completely clear). Our Arctic White Spruce make for Charlie Brown-like Christmas trees, but I prefer the imperfect appearance of the tree, anyway. If I ever move and end up living in a town I don't think I would buy a tree... I'd probably just string lights around one of the rooms and maybe use a potted cactus or something that I could use year after year to put Christmas presents around. It's Christmas lights that I appreciate most in terms of Christmas decorations.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. newstate

Tall Timbers,
    I know that it must be great to have potential Christmas trees growing 50 feet from
    your house, but I have never been so fortunate. But my late mother grew up on
    a farm where they had trees on their property that they cut down like you are
    talking about, so I have heard how good that is. Yes, it is the lights also that I
    like best.

And that movie, yes, it was great the first time that I saw it, but now I
    have seen it enough. My oldest child, the six year old in my story is now a
    married Mom with children about that age herself. She stills loves that movie.

Hope you have a great Christmas, Tall Timbers!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Channah

Channah Well-Known Member

I've never seen a white spruce tree. It must be beautiful.

newstate likes this.
  7. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

They don't make the kind of Christmas trees that anybody would buy... White spruce are green by the way... they grow to be quite large but up here it takes a couple hundred years before they stand tall among trees. We also have Black Spruce in the interior. They're much smaller and tend to proliferate in areas where there is lots of permafrost. They're extra sappy and tend to catch fire and burn easily and quickly. The other pine we have is the Tamarack, which loses it's needles each winter.