NFL Playoffs!

Discussion in 'The Sporting Dugout' started by lightofmylife, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

That missed call just might be the fuel thats get the ball rolling to allow penalties to be challenged like other close calls. Many owners support this needed change.

2. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

I wonder if that will turn a 3 hour game into a 4 hour game?

I would still require the use of the red flag to get a review.

In this particular case I'm not sure how a new penalty review rule would have worked. They were already past the 2 minute mark and all reviews are supposed to happen from the booth.

The other problem is that if you actually review every play you could probably find a whole lot more penalties that occur that aren't called. And then there is the issue of trying to clearly delineate when something is actually a penalty. I'm thinking about pass interference specifically. Some officiating crews are strict, some are not. I suspect the crew has a pregame conversation about how tight they are going to call the game.

Side note: I read somewhere that they timed the amount of actual football playing that occurred during a 1 hour game and it came to less than 1/2 hour. It might have been in the 15 minute range too. Don't quote me.

So you watch a supposed 3 hours of football for 15 minutes of action and beer and truck commercials.

3. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

Even in the last 2 minutes, penalties cant be challenged. Yes, a new rule allowing reviews would also require a red flag by the coach. Change the review penalties, but do not increase the amount of challenges each coach is allowed, thus not having a increase in the overall length of the game.

4. RonJohnSilver

RonJohnSilver Well-Known Member

Forever Rams fan since I grew up near L.A. Followed them in L.A., StL, and now L.A. again. I was hoping for the Chiefs or Chargers.... maybe next year. As for the blown call, sorry it cost the Saints the game/season, but both teams have the same officials. As noted by some analysts, the prior series the officials missed the facemask on Jared Goff. And, as they say in baseball, you can't anticipate the double play. That is, you can't assume that plays will work as planned. Players drop easy catches, kickers miss easy kicks, players line up offsides (KC). Happens every single year. Hopefully this will cause changes to the review process. It is, however, an imperfect world, on every level. As for the Patriots, I have to admire Brady/Belichik for their success. Doesn't mean I have to like them. I always pull for whoever is playing the Patriots. So, I am sorry for those fans whose seasons ended. We've all been there. With my fellow Rams fans, let's crush the Patriots and shred them into little bitty meatballs....all in good fun of course.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

Last year the Philadelphia Eagles beat the N.E. Patriots. I wish that could have happened this year for K.C. Chiefs!

SonSeeker, DanLMP and chaser like this.
  6. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

Here in Philly we went several seasons with Andy Reid not being able to push the horse over the finish line.
    Went to the playoffs a lot. Went to the Super Bowl once. It always seemed to me that when Andy managed to get a lead, no matter how small, he would try to spend the last few minutes of the game trying to play soft defense and hope the opposing team could only score at most a field goal. It didn't work.

In the KC game I told my wife that that's what was going to happen again and it did. They got absolutely no pressure on Tom Brady and if you give Tom 4 downs to get a first he is probably going to get it.

It didn't help that statistically KC had one of the worst defenses in the league. Which would account for why they fired the Defensive Coordinator the next day.

SonSeeker, chaser and lightofmylife like this.
  7. RonJohnSilver

RonJohnSilver Well-Known Member

Side note: I read somewhere that they timed the amount of actual football playing that occurred during a 1 hour game and it came to less than 1/2 hour. It might have been in the 15 minute range too. Don't quote me.

I've done that, recording a game and then speeding through commercials and commentary. Actual action comes out to about 45-50 minutes or a little less.

8. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

Just did a quick Google search and evidently the WSJ did a study in 2010 and came up with 11 minutes.

I Googled "how much actual football action occurs in a 60 minute game" and the answers came up on the first page.
    I don't feel comfortable including a link.

SonSeeker, lightofmylife and chaser like this.
  9. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

Haven't watched an NFL game since what's his name took a knee. Have really only "missed" watching this game. And only because Nick Foles played at Univ. of Ariz, my Alma mater. College football is so much better than NFL!
    We watch everything delayed, so we don't have to suffer through almost endless commercials.

As we get closer to the Rapture, I find myself caring less and less about things of this world. It's not that I'm trying to
    not watch something, I just plain don't care anymore. I believe that's a good thing.

Sorry for the mini :threadjack, just don't shoot me!:D

Andy C and Tall Timbers like this.
  10. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

:agree

Andy C, SonSeeker and Tall Timbers like this.
  11. 9racingteam

9racingteam Member

I try and watch the Canadian football league. I will probably watch alliance of American football which starts after the super bowl this year.

Andy C likes this.
  12. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

When I was in Okinawa Japan the NFL games would come on live, at 3am, and 6am, (14-17 hour time difference from USA) Monday mornings. Everybody recorded them for watching after work, and we all knew not to talk about the results of who won the games, which meant you had to avoid watching any news during the day. Super Bowl Sunday was actually mid morning on Monday, and most of the units had that day off as a morale boost for the Marines and Sailors.

Go Rams.

SonSeeker and chaser like this.
  13. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

Guess we didn't miss a thing.:doh

Andy C, Tall Timbers and DanLMP like this.
  14. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

Real snooze fest.

Andy C and chaser like this.
  15. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Old fashioned tough defensive game, best defensive schemes I've seen in a long time. I thought both teams had a good game plan to stymie the opposing offense. When the Pat's safety Chung left the game I thought that might open the door somewhat for the Rams, but with the run not working and blitzes called at the perfect time the passing game was struggling. IMO Goff needs to learn to read "D" better, he will learn, tough to read a "D" that is zone but looks like man and vice versa, while getting severe pressure , good scheme. I think my Saints would have put more points up, seasoned QB would have made the difference imo.

Andy C, usoutpost31 and DanLMP like this.
  16. usoutpost31

usoutpost31 Well-Known Member

My Rams got taken to the woodshed. That happens, Belichick again victimizing a young QB. Disappointed we didn't have a better gameplan. No answer for the blitz. Really need a healthy Gurley and Kupp in 2019.

McVay and Goff will both learn from this and be better going forward.

DanLMP and Andy C like this.
  17. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

My opinion is that during the post season their is only a limited amount of thrills available and both teams used it all up during the Conference Championships.
    Their was none left for the Super Bowl. I have seen it happen many times before.

If they really want to improve the odds of an exciting Super Bowl they would have it 1 week after the Conf. Championship. 2 weeks is too long to prepare. Bodies and minds get rusty.

I see the same thing happen in the College playoffs.

usoutpost31 and chaser like this.