New York Times: Riding Horses is Racist

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
“Sports were only developed for white people”
By Daniel Greenfield

Why not? Dogs and trees have already been adjudged racist. Time to take on white horse supremacy.

Black Equestrians Want to Be Safe. But They Can’t Find Helmets. For Black riders with natural hair, finding a helmet that fits can be virtually impossible. Some are trying to raise awareness of the problem, but manufacturers say it’s not a simple fix. – New York Times

Good thing there’s nothing else going on in the world. These aren’t just first-world problems, they’re absurdly upper-class problems.

Black equestrians have long felt virtually invisible in a sport that remains overwhelmingly white. For those with natural hair, which for many is a declaration of pride and Black identity, finding a helmet that fits properly can be nearly impossible, creating yet another barrier to full inclusion.

You can get a haircut or find a sport that doesn’t require a helmet, like a functional adult. Or blame racism.

In an interview, James Ruder, the chief executive, said the company’s helmets can accommodate most riders. He added that he had “never once heard” about a Black rider struggling with helmet fit.

“If you have an ‘oddity’ — and I don’t mean to be disrespectful to the people who have weird hairstyles — but if you have a hairstyle that impacts the functionality of the helmet, you might just have to change it,” Mr. Ruder said.

In a follow-up interview, Mr. Ruder stood by his view that riders need to be aware that their hairstyle choices can affect helmet safety, and added that he intended no offense with his comments. “I’m bald, and some people find that weird,” he said. “It’s all relative.”
Black riders say the manufacturers’ responses demonstrate what they’re up against.

“Sports were only developed for white people and they continue to keep white people protected,” Ms. Robbins said. “People need to realize diversity and inclusion belongs anywhere, especially in sports.”

Sports were only developed for white people. There are no black people in sports. None at all.

Helmets have to fit your head. If you have big hair, they won’t safely fit your head. You can be white and have big hair. Or you can be black and have big hair. Either way you’re making a choice of priorities. And instead of owning those choices, people with the disposable income to do this play the victim.

https://www.raptureforums.com/politics-culture-wars/new-york-times-riding-horses-is-racist/

mphsmom

This burns my biscuits. My daughter is an equestrian (or was until the hpv shot ruined her life), and she showed hunter/jumper for years. There were a lot of black people in the horse show ring too, and none of them had a problem with the helmets. That was because they had the the proper haircuts for the sport, as did the white kids.

MapleLeaf

We should just laugh at these people at this point. Talk about lack of agency. It's called market opportunity! Never mind, I saw a photo of one of the top UK equestrian riders who sports dredlocks under his helmet. It has been done at the top level. Anything to do with horses is going to be costly and sobbing "racism" isn't going to change that. Horses need to eat. They need to see the vet and get shoes. Any gear takes a great amount off labour and is expensive to produce. There is also the stone-cold reality that helmets are designed to work a certain way in order to actually protect your head and to get a custom-fitted helmet to both fit over your hair AND actually protect you from injury is going to cost money. And it likely is not worth the costs of mass-production.

This article's sole purpose is to further demoralize white people, encourage minorities to hate them and maybe rob the world of a little more joy.

katt

So, let's see, football helmets seem to fit all heads no matter the hairstyle, so do motorcycle helmets, bike helmets, firemen's helmets, scuba diving helmets, even Astronauts helmets. One wonders why equestrian helmets have a problem with different hairstyles. I think the new york times saw things dying down in New York and decided it was time to stir things up.. again.

mphsmom

So, let's see, football helmets seem to fit all heads no matter the hairstyle, so do motorcycle helmets, bike helmets, firemen's helmets, scuba diving helmets, even Astronauts helmets. One wonders why equestrian helmets have a problem with different hairstyles. I think the new york times saw things dying down in New York and decided it was time to stir things up.. again.
Riding helmets for regular horseback riding should not be a problem. When you are showing horses in any of the English riding types (hunter/jumper, dressage, etc.) you have to have all your hair up in a bun at the nape of your neck and you have to wear a hair net to keep any loose ends from showing from out of your helmet. It's about being neat and presentable, and showing respect for the sport.

Bethlehem57

“Sports were only developed for white people”
By Daniel Greenfield

Why not? Dogs and trees have already been adjudged racist. Time to take on white horse supremacy.

Black Equestrians Want to Be Safe. But They Can’t Find Helmets. For Black riders with natural hair, finding a helmet that fits can be virtually impossible. Some are trying to raise awareness of the problem, but manufacturers say it’s not a simple fix. – New York Times

Good thing there’s nothing else going on in the world. These aren’t just first-world problems, they’re absurdly upper-class problems.

Black equestrians have long felt virtually invisible in a sport that remains overwhelmingly white. For those with natural hair, which for many is a declaration of pride and Black identity, finding a helmet that fits properly can be nearly impossible, creating yet another barrier to full inclusion.

You can get a haircut or find a sport that doesn’t require a helmet, like a functional adult. Or blame racism.

In an interview, James Ruder, the chief executive, said the company’s helmets can accommodate most riders. He added that he had “never once heard” about a Black rider struggling with helmet fit.

“If you have an ‘oddity’ — and I don’t mean to be disrespectful to the people who have weird hairstyles — but if you have a hairstyle that impacts the functionality of the helmet, you might just have to change it,” Mr. Ruder said.

In a follow-up interview, Mr. Ruder stood by his view that riders need to be aware that their hairstyle choices can affect helmet safety, and added that he intended no offense with his comments. “I’m bald, and some people find that weird,” he said. “It’s all relative.”
Black riders say the manufacturers’ responses demonstrate what they’re up against.

“Sports were only developed for white people and they continue to keep white people protected,” Ms. Robbins said. “People need to realize diversity and inclusion belongs anywhere, especially in sports.”

Sports were only developed for white people. There are no black people in sports. None at all.

Helmets have to fit your head. If you have big hair, they won’t safely fit your head. You can be white and have big hair. Or you can be black and have big hair. Either way you’re making a choice of priorities. And instead of owning those choices, people with the disposable income to do this play the victim.

https://www.raptureforums.com/politics-culture-wars/new-york-times-riding-horses-is-racist/
Total baloney! Riding helmets won’t fit them? That used to be called arrogance. Riding helmets fit EVERYONE! Now if I wanted to keep my hairstyle in shape, no helmet would fit me either! I guess they haven’t faced this issue with a motorcycle helmet have they?

This was proven on Myth-Busters!

China builds bridges using Aqua Net.

Isn't that stuff illegal in 37 states ??
o_O
My cousin was playing with my mom’s cigarette lighter. He left it turned up on max flame. Mom had just returned from the beauty shop and had a head piled high of hair freshly frozen in place with Aqua-net.

Mom went to light a cigarette and Poof:nukesher hair went up in flames. My uncle, who was special needs, busted out laughing. I laughed, mom at first didn’t know it. Then we all jumped in and someone grabbed a towel and smothered her hair out.

I think that was the same day I put gunpowder out of a shotgun shell in her ashtray. I’m pretty sure I got a whipping that day.:calvin

Back