New planting needed (shrubs, bushes, etc.)

ANewCreature

We just got done removing a couple trees that had either grown into the fence between my parents' hosue and mine,were dying with a couple big dead limbs already, or both.We had to get the frence removed, too, as well as the rose of Sharon around it because there wasn't any access to my back hard anyway, so at least now a mower can get back there rather than go through my garage.

Anyway, now I'm trying to loko into what to plant there - obviously the grass needs to be planted there first, and then we need to wait a couplem onths, so any planting wouldn't be till close to October, so maybe too late this year? (I'm in Northern Ohio.) Or is there stuff that can be planted? Some shady spots beside my garage will be filled by a little bit, though I need to keep that relatively clear, but then some spots behind my garage will be very sunny. And, of course, all the way down the fence. Well, the fence when it was there and will be again.

So, what recommendations do you have? Another nice thing is these trees were really clogging my drain every 8-10 months and needed flushed out by theplumber, so I don't want something really invasive, unless it's down toward the back of my yard. Thaks.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
We live in central Illinois. I love lilacs, mock orange, and azaleas. Depends on whether you want them as a screen or barrier, for color or for aroma. All three cover the last two points. But if you get azaleas make sure you get the triple-flowering variety that flower all spring and summer, not the ones that flower only once in the spring.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If I lived where you do I'd prepare the ground for planting rose bushes after spring's last frost. Then I'd start searching out different varieties of fragrant yellow roses and collect them and plant them in the spring.

I suggest you pick plants that produce your favorite flowers and plant those.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Contact your university extension to see what you need to do with the ground where the old trees were before planting anything else there. Some trees make growing other things in the same location problematic. They can also advise what grows well in your area, things to avoid, and how to prepare the soil for whatever it is you're going to plant. Nice to have the soil amended, if necessary or desired, before planting new things.

I like @Tall Timbers suggestion. Or, if you don't mind ongoing work, maybe plant fruit (berries, or dwarf fruit trees), or companion plant olives and grapes together, etc., etc., etc. If you're interested in home brewing, hops is an up-and-coming crop/industry in Ohio (maybe an income and/or fellowship opportunity)

Have fun!