New gun owner

Neohistory

I’ve always supported the 2nd amendment, but never felt I had to exercise it. I know that translates to me trusting in emergency services when it came down to critical moments, but these past two years made me realize something. Gas budgets for local law enforcements must be strained, supply issues and worker shortages affecting so many different aspects, I had to go out and buy my first gun. I’ve gone to the gun range once like 5 years ago, and I know it only makes sense to learn gun safety and practice in case a moment does come up for home defense to protect my elderly parents.

Are gun ranges short on ammo as well? Is anyone experiencing this? I own a 38 special revolver, always liked revolvers and decided they may be more reliable in a tense situation (I could be wrong of course, just thought about 9mm and the ejecting of casing failing, jamming etc.) I have really been trying to find 38 special, and am finding a lot of 9mm, 308, 40 s&w etc except 38 special. I need to practice at the range, but has anyone that goes to a range been experiencing ammo shortages even there? What about remanufactured ammo? I’ve read up what I could about it, and seems I may have to do with that if I find it? Sorry for all the questions, appreciate your time reading

Wally

Choose your words carefully...
I've had revolvers jam. My 9mm CZ's however, run like clockwork. Any firearm needs to be quality made, and needs proper care.

Depending on the revolver, You may be able to get flat metal clips -snap.rings that allow you to fire 9mm from the revolver. The caliber is the same but you may want to check that the pressure of the powerload is not too much for your revolver. Check with a gunsmith if in doubt.
I used to have a .357 S&W Highway Patrolman. 38 special, 38+p, .357 all would work fine.
I never bought the 9mm snap-rings for the revolver as 38+p was my choice back then.

Best place for ammo has been local gunstores and gunshows. I have also found gun ranges normally have higher prices.

As for reloading - handloading, the ammo works fine but you have no guarantee. Most hand-loaders are having tough times getting supplies so there may not be much in that respect. But if you have an odd rifle, like a Mosin Nagant or a Mauser, save your brass as finding that ammo has been very difficult.

Now If I could just find an IDF 7.62 Mauser (.308).... cheap....

Andy C

Considering I spen almost half my life in the Marines, Im not a gun collector, or even that knowledgeable about most guns. We do have a few handguns, and an old shotgun, and I will probably purchase a rifle in the near future.

What is important is having your home weapon readily accessible. Wherever Im siting, or sleeping in the house, the handgun is right next to me. Countless reports over the years of homeowners being defenseless when a break in occurs because they cant get to their weapon fast enough. The only time my handgun is not on me, or right next to me is when my 9 year old GD is visiting.

A home defense weapon is not very useful without the skills to use it properly. Visit a range, and learn to use it, learn how to clear a jam, and shooting accurate. In the event a break in occurs, and you have to use your weapon in self defense, the adrenaline will kick in, and you will shoot everything but the intended target if you dont have the skills necessary to properly engage.

Prayers none of us will ever have to use our weapons in a hostile situation.

MikeD

I too was in the Marines for a short time but ended up being voluntarily volunteered for a spot with Seal Team 6. That's when life got fun. The team leader said he needs a sniper he could depend on so, as I said that's when things got interesting.
Came out of the military on 82' and thankfully was allowed to keep my weapons; a 9mm and 50cal sniper rifle. My wife also has a 357 and I've given her lessons on how to use it perfectly.
I've never had to use my weapons in a aggressive way but the way I see things changing I'm still very glad I have them...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
A home defense weapon is not very useful without the skills to use it properly. Visit a range, and learn to use it, learn how to clear a jam, and shooting accurate. In the event a break in occurs, and you have to use your weapon in self defense, the adrenaline will kick in, and you will shoot everything but the intended target if you dont have the skills necessary to properly engage.

I've fired thousands of rounds through various handguns and rifles, but I've done little shooting in the last 20 years. I sensed not too long ago when I was prepping my handguns for shipment that I probably need to get out on a range and reacquire firearm skills... it's the sort of thing, I think that occasional practice helps with. I do think it is wise to have a firearm very nearby in this day and age. Now that I'm moving back to civilization where things seem to have gotten pretty crazy I've given that some thought. Up here I didn't really have to concern myself with threats. Never even saw a Mormon on my doorstep in 20 years.

Last edited:

Andy C

I've fired thousands of rounds through various handguns and rifles, but I've done little shooting in the last 20 years. I sensed not too long ago when I was prepping my handguns for shipment that I probably need to get out on a range and reacquire firearm skills... it's the sort of thing, I think that occasional practice helps with. I do think it is wise to have a firearm very near by in this day and age. Now that I'm moving back to civilization where things seem to have gotten pretty crazy I've given that some thought. Up here I didn't really have to concern myself with threats. Never even saw a Mormon on my doorstep in 20 years.
I guess bears and moose dont have conceal carry licenses.:rolleyes:

The Mormon line made me laugh out loud.

Wally

Choose your words carefully...
Been around guns since my Daisy 92 and 881. I have lived in farmland PA most of my life and principally have been a varmint hunter. Accuracy is required.

My best rifles are a CZ .22, and Marlin .22mag. My best pistol is a Beretta 87T. All are tack drivers and all require periodic range time to maintain safety and accuracy.

Though I have some fine choices for protecting home, the best so far has been Prayer.
No 2 was a German shepherd.