New from USA!!

dave-o

Welcome!

I just have to say this. Being a Christian is NOT about turning bad people into good people or good people into better or perfect people. It's about turning dead people into living people. That is one of the main examples of the death and resurrection of Jesus and also why He said: Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ John 3:7

Sadly many churches have become nothing more than social gathering points and this simple truth is not taught. (However it's also possible that one or more of the churches you attended DID teach it but you just missed it.)

BTW, I don't think you're an atheist at all. More of an extreme agnostic who doesn't know what to think about God and so chooses not to at all.

OnceWasLost

Super Moderator
Welcome!

I just have to say this. Being a Christian is NOT about turning bad people into good people or good people into better or perfect people. It's about turning dead people into living people. That is one of the main examples of the death and resurrection of Jesus and also why He said: Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ John 3:7

Sadly many churches have become nothing more than social gathering points and this simple truth is not taught. (However it's also possible that one or more of the churches you attended DID teach it but you just missed it.)

BTW, I don't think you're an atheist at all. More of an extreme agnostic who doesn't know what to think about God and so chooses not to at all.
Sometimes The Gospel is explained in a too complicated manner, in your case you made the most elemental point one can make.

It's about turning dead people into living people.

Brilliant in it's simplicity!

dave-o

Sometimes The Gospel is explained in a too complicated manner, in your case you made the most elemental point one can make.

It's about turning dead people into living people.

Brilliant in it's simplicity!
Thanks but I heard that once from someone else and decided to keep it!

Meg

You have run into one of the main problems with Christians - - they are people to! I went to a picnic put on by a large church. There were hundreds of people there. I was basically a stranger. I went up to a number of the group leaders and started conversations. But as soon as i stopped going to them and talk I was ignored. People just have their own cliques that they involve themselves with, and ignore anyone else. Another time I took my wheelchair bound father-in-law to a church picnic. I would take my father-in-law to talk with a group of men from my church. When I would leave to get a coffee for us the men would drift off and leave my Father-in-law alone.

My point is that I don't have to be like others. I don't have to treat others like they treat me. I don't have to let other's actions affect my relationship with God. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The Bible is full of scriptures about how men let God down. Just like the people in your churches let you down.
I have been through very similar brush-offs at churches, to the point where I really don't care for the church scene myself. I find deep friendships and superb advice around this forum that for me, fills the church experience gap nicely thank you.

What matters most is the fact that Jesus Christ is very much alive, and He has no special need for a church group to prove that for Him, although His desires would be much better served if churches tried a little harder than they usually do. Be that as it may, what matters is developing a relationship with Jesus Christ Himself through studying His Word and through prayer. Over the course of the last 8 years I have been a Christian, I have found those two ways of seeking God to be profoundly effective and very deeply satisfying.

I am deeply thankful for folks at this forum (they know who they are), who have done so much to encourage me during my own times of deep questioning and deep need. When Christians do come through, they really rock, because their top priority is serving God, no more, no less, so dedicated Christians can be some of the most solid friends you could ever hope for.