New documentary called American Gospel:Christ Alone

Monarch

My wife and I watched a documentary tonight called American Gospel:Christ Alone. I would highly recommend it to any Christian who wants to learn more about the word of faith/prosperity movement and it's invasion into many churches today.

You can find it on Google play movies and also on Amazon Prime.

Mike Evans

Going by the trailer, this looks interesting. However, when viewing it one needs to bear in mind that most if not all of the ministers interviewed are Calvinists, who themselves preach a 'different gospel' with a Christ who did NOT die for all men and a God who does NOT desire all men to repent (and in fact ensures that most will not do so). Their false doctrine regarding election comes from the Gnostic teachings of the Manicheans, a cult which Augustine was a member of before his (apparent) salvation. Calvin heavily borrowed from Augustine in his doctrines and-like many who follow his teachings-was reportedly unsure of his salvation until his death (as works are the evidence as to whether one is truly one of the elect or not-backsliders are automatically dismissed as being never truly saved, thus I once heard a Calvinist teach that Demas continued attending church!).
Calvin was a ruthless dictator who punished to the point of cruel execution those who differed with his doctrines, particularly those who opposed the practice of infant baptism, a Catholic holdover which Luther also retained. In fact, reformers joined with Catholics at times in the persecution of Anabaptists.
One revered minister in this documentary is to be treated with extreme caution. John MacArthur has taught that Christ did not take His blood literally into the throne room of Heaven, contradicting a passage in Hebrews. He has also taught that one can be forgiven and saved despite taking the mark of the Beast, a deadly error for those in the tribulation who will receive much pressure to do so. If they have heard this, it will give them false assurance.
Interestingly, Francis Chan is in this doco opposing the prosperity message. Only recently he shared a stage with some of the worst of them such as Benny Hinn and Rodney Howard Browne. He greatly praised Todd White, who has his own mansion and calls Kenneth Copeland, a filthy rich promoter of prosperity teaching, his 'spiritual father'. A touch of hypocrisy there, methinks.

Monarch

Francis Chan made an appearance in one of the previews of this film, but I did not see him in the actual film. Maybe I missed it, but I'm fairly certain he wasn't in the final production. Also, John MacArthur's appearance was for about 20 seconds near the end of the movie.

Mike Evans

Interesting to learn that. As an ex Word of Faith charismatic, I must view the whole documentary. Hard to tell from the trailer how much the involvement of each minister is in the film.
Because Calvinists are good at exposing the errors of Pentecostalism, many former charismatics (like Costi Hinn) move into that doctrinal mindset.
I nearly did and others on this site, like 'AnewcreationinJesus' have a similar testimony. However, "once bitten, twice shy". My discomfort with the elitist distortion of the doctrine of predestination caused me to research both Calvin and the errors of the reformers. The night I heard a Presbyterian minister state that God is the ultimate author of sin (after repeatedly hearing him thank Christ for bearing the sins of "His people") , I had to make a quick exit.
Generally, the gospel is presented poorly in the charismatic scene and I believe there are many false converts (as in the evangelical world in general these days), but at least you hear Christ died for ALL men, not a chosen few (which many Calvinists are never fully sure if they are amongst or not.)
In one of her WIDE IS THE GATE documentaries, the late Caryl Matriciana has an excellent section on Calvinism in which an ex-Calvinist shares her testimony. Maybe a feature length documentary is called for. Sadly, many go from one major deception to another. Macarthur's denigration of the blood of Christ is chilling. Why would any genuine Christian wish to argue such a point? Much of what we read regarding activities in Heaven are hard to grasp, but that should not mean we can rationalize them away. Charles Lawson has warned Christians to beware of anyone who teaches that the Blood is only representative or symbolic of the death of Christ. This is exactly what the revered John MacArthur teaches. His Strange Fire conference videos on Youtube were helpful to me, but I thank God for discernment regarding his other teachings

Last edited:

Mike Evans

An edited version of this documentary is available for free on YouTube.
I have read that Francis Chan requested to have his contributions removed from this documentary. This speaks volumes. Fear of offending newfound prosperity preaching buddies? A shift in his attitude towards this heresy? From any perspective it does not show a firm stand being taken with scripture.
https://thecripplegate.com/farewell-francis/

Last edited:
An edited version of this documentary is available for free on YouTube.
I have read that Francis Chan requested to have his contributions removed from this documentary. This speaks volumes. Fear of offending newfound prosperity preaching buddies? A shift in his attitude towards this heresy? From any perspective it does not show a firm stand being taken with scripture.
https://thecripplegate.com/farewell-francis/
Hi Mike. I'm new here. Just curious why you are ex Word of Faith?

Mike Evans

Hi Mike. I'm new here. Just curious why you are ex Word of Faith?
Hi Simon the Tanner. If you look at some of my earlier posts you will see my testimony given in various levels of detail.
I was deceived by the charismatic /Word of Faith movement for 33 years after a brief experience in the occult which my Anglican upbringing gave me no doctrinal protection from.
I trained under Kenneth Hagin at Rhema in Tulsa and believed all of his unbiblical visions and revelations which again I had no ability to discern as being false. I was a WOF pastor for 17 years and sadly led many astray. The Lord opened my eyes in 2015 after some disturbing things took place in the charismatic scene which at last caused me to stand back and question what I had given my life over to.
It has its roots in the New Thought movement of the 1800's,which led to cults like Christian Science. It is a very persuasive cocktail of truth and error which leads to the deification of man, as all satanic teaching has done since Eve became the first Gnostic wanting to be a little god and preached to Adam.
I suggest listening to messages by Susan Puzio (who also escaped this movement) on blogtalkradio : Prophetic News Report.
I disagree strongly with his Calvinism, but Justin Peters has some good exposès on YT. THE SEDUCTION OF CHRISTIANITY by Dave Hunt and A DIFFERENT GOSPEL by McConnell are also informative, as are articles on this website:
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/word-faith.html
A great exposè on the Pentecostal movement and its heretical origins with a chapter on Hagin is THE TORONTO BLESSING AND SLAYING IN THE SPIRIT, THE TELLING WONDER by Nader Mikhaiel. Jason Cooley of OPBC on YT has some good recent teachings on the errors of the charismatic movement as does Billy Crone.

Last edited:

Goodboy

Personally, I think it is a mistake to be aligned to anything but the Christian family of God. All of these Christian denominations may cause one to accept things that are not in the bible or have been interpreted incorrectly. I just stay away from them all. I don't even readily accept commentary's in the bible, unless I see that it agrees with the concepts that I have already understood.

Hi Simon the Tanner. If you look at some of my earlier posts you will see my testimony given in various levels of detail.
I was deceived by the charismatic /Word of Faith movement for 33 years after a brief experience in the occult which my Anglican upbringing gave me no doctrinal protection from.
I trained under Kenneth Hagin at Rhema in Tulsa and believed all of his unbiblical visions and revelations which again I had no ability to discern as being false. I was a WOF pastor for 17 years and sadly led many astray. The Lord opened my eyes in 2015 after some disturbing things took place in the charismatic scene which at last caused me to stand back and question what I had given my life over to.
It has its roots in the New Thought movement of the 1800's,which led to cults like Christian Science. It is a very persuasive cocktail of truth and error which leads to the deification of man, as all satanic teaching has done since Eve became the first Gnostic wanting to be a little god and preached to Adam.
I suggest listening to messages by Susan Puzio (who also escaped this movement) on blogtalkradio : Prophetic News Report.
I disagree strongly with his Calvinism, but Justin Peters has some good exposès on YT. THE SEDUCTION OF CHRISTIANITY by Dave Hunt and A DIFFERENT GOSPEL by McConnell are also informative, as are articles on this website:
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/word-faith.html
A great exposè on the Pentecostal movement and its heretical origins with a chapter on Hagin is THE TORONTO BLESSING AND SLAYING IN THE SPIRIT, THE TELLING WONDER by Nader Mikhaiel. Jason Cooley of OPBC on YT has some good recent teachings on the errors of the charismatic movement as does Billy Crone.
Thanks for the response. The alleged "New Thought" origins of the WoF come from McConnell's book, and have been dismissed by other WoF critics like Robert Bowman Jr., Brian Onken, Curtis Crenshaw, and Bruce Barron who trace its roots back to the Evangelical "Faith Cure" movement of the late 19th century. On Kenyon's website you can read what Kenyon thought about New Thought. http://kenyons.org/metaphysical-cults.html

Mike Evans

Well, whatever the intermediary sources /influences were, this deadly cocktail of fleshly-enticing truth and error comes from the Father of Lies, who can no longer speak the truth.
I have read that Kenyon kept a copy of Mary Baker Eddy's Science and Health on his desk at his home. My grandmother was an adherent of Eddy's lies, but I am hopeful that I truly brought her to Christ months before she died in 1984 despite the error I was caught up in. How ironic that WOF doctrines have so much in common with those of Eddy, a fact which Hagin used to constantly deny.
Thanks for the names of the other critics of this abhorrent movement.

Sojourner414

Interesting to learn that. As an ex Word of Faith charismatic, I must view the whole documentary. Hard to tell from the trailer how much the involvement of each minister is in the film.
Because Calvinists are good at exposing the errors of Pentecostalism, many former charismatics (like Costi Hinn) move into that doctrinal mindset.
I nearly did and others on this site, like 'AnewcreationinJesus' have a similar testimony. However, "once bitten, twice shy". My discomfort with the elitist distortion of the doctrine of predestination caused me to research both Calvin and the errors of the reformers. The night I heard a Presbyterian minister state that God is the ultimate author of sin (after repeatedly hearing him thank Christ for bearing the sins of "His people") , I had to make a quick exit.
Generally, the gospel is presented poorly in the charismatic scene and I believe there are many false converts (as in the evangelical world in general these days), but at least you hear Christ died for ALL men, not a chosen few (which many Calvinists are never fully sure if they are amongst or not.)
In one of her WIDE IS THE GATE documentaries, the late Caryl Matriciana has an excellent section on Calvinism in which an ex-Calvinist shares her testimony. Maybe a feature length documentary is called for. Sadly, many go from one major deception to another. Macarthur's denigration of the blood of Christ is chilling. Why would any genuine Christian wish to argue such a point? Much of what we read regarding activities in Heaven are hard to grasp, but that should not mean we can rationalize them away. Charles Lawson has warned Christians to beware of anyone who teaches that the Blood is only representative or symbolic of the death of Christ. This is exactly what the revered John MacArthur teaches. His Strange Fire conference videos on Youtube were helpful to me, but I thank God for discernment regarding his other teachings
I believe I found a quote from the Gospels not too long ago that goes a long way to disproving "predestination":

"“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; " (Matthew 25:41, NASB, emphasis mine)

So let's take a look at this passage for just a moment: if the Lord had chosen people from the beginning to be saved or damned, wouldn't He have said something to that effect here?

Kerbluey

Interesting to see your info, Mike. I had no idea you were such a bigwig in the movement. By chance, did you ever spend time debating WoFers on the other RR forum several years ago? I may have read your posts when God was opening my eyes back then. What started out as my smirking at you “dead and poor and sick” believers God used to set me free. Hehe, I still get a kick out of my takedown.