'Never let a serious crisis go to waste'-Rahm Emanuel calls for nationwide weapons ban

Littlejoe

Rahm Emanuel calls for nationwide assault-weapons ban | The Daily Caller

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel called for a nationwide assault-weapons ban Monday in response to the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Emanuel made his remarks at a Chicago Police Department graduation ceremony Monday morning.

“It’s time that we as a city have an assault weapons ban. It’s time that we as a state have an assault weapons ban. It’s time that we as a country have an assault weapons ban,” Emanuel said. “And I would hope the leadership in Congress now will have a vote of conscience. It is time to have that vote.”

Emanuel also reminded the public of his work in the Clinton administration, which passed an assault-weapons ban in 1994 that expired in 2004. Backlash to the ban was widely seen to have helped Republicans gain a majority in the House of Representatives in November 2004.

“As somebody who stood by President Clinton’s side to make sure we had a ban on assault weapons, I do not want to see more weapons on the street, more guns on the street,” Emanuel said.

“They make your job all that more difficult,” Emanuel told the police officers in attendance.

Emanuel’s last three tweets, issued in the aftermath of Friday’s tragedy, have supported gun control measures and promoted the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, a group that he serves on alongside New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

“President Clinton and I fought to pass the assault weapons ban. It’s time to renew and strengthen it. An easy vote,” Emanuel tweeted Sunday.

Editor1

I agree. This sentiment isn't new. It's been out there a long time.

Any side will try to use a shift in public opinion to accomplish its goals. See how the Republicans used the post 9/11 sentiment to launch two overseas wars.

I would like to see fewer guns on the streets. They add no value to society. Now what the best way to accomplish that is I will let others wiser than I decide. But if we can reduce the number of guns on the streets, we will be better off.

Carl

That is the most stupid thing. US citizens can not purchase assault weapons. Either he doesn't know what an assault weapons is or he wants to redefine what they are. What he really means is all guns.

Littlejoe

That is the most stupid thing. US citizens can not purchase assault weapons. Either he doesn't know what an assault weapons is or he wants to redefine what they are. What he really means is all guns.
These guys like Obama,others are just pushing the communist agenda of the UN...

The founding fathers warned us of a time when a dictator would use the government to strip us of our freedoms!

Last edited:

Littlejoe

Editor1 said....

Any side will try to use a shift in public opinion to accomplish its goals. See how the Republicans used the post 9/11 sentiment to launch two overseas wars.
What are you talking about,we were attacked by islamist terrorist,we had to go in to Iraq..

What are you a 9/11 truther???????

Editor1

There is a large number of people, self included, who believe the US was going to war in Iraq from the day GW Bush got elected and the 9/11 stuff just gave them an opportunity to sell it to the public.

Lily

Looking Up
There is a large number of people, self included, who believe the US was going to war in Iraq from the day GW Bush got elected and the 9/11 stuff just gave them an opportunity to sell it to the public.
the 9/11 STUFF? :shocked :uhh:

This whole statement is just completely off base.

btw, Your liberal views are showing.

Duncanmc

The NRA has been taunted by the media for maintaining a silence for these few days since the shooting. Now they are warming up for the attack on the NRA once a statement is made this Friday. I hope the NRA leadership can get through this minefield without us losing too many rights. I don't own a military style semi auto rifle - what the media refer to as an "assault weapon". I have, in past, and enjoyed target shooting with it. The problem with our country is the sick, coarsened relationships we have since God has been pushed aside. We are simply reaping what hell we have invited into our lives. I think this tragedy will serve as a turning point for gun rights in the US. I'm particularly troubled that a teen who is said to have been mentally ill would have had the foresight to destroy a hard drive so thoroughly that even a government forensic expert cannot glean any info from it. It just seems too convenient to me. As does the absolute "perfect storm" of other coincidences... children murdered at school a week before Christmas. Hollywood could not have contrived a more heart wrenching scenario. I am normally not a conspiracy theorist but this is just too perfect a set up for the gun control types. I think high capacity magazines should be banned. I have no problem with stronger background check for "AR" style weapons. Requiring new owners (first time owners) to attend some kind of safety training is okay I think. But data bases on owners is unacceptable. Federally required documentation of private sales between citizens is unacceptable. Government never surrenders power once they have it. I hope we will tread carefully here or we will regret it for many years to come.