Netanyahu rival drops out of Likud leadership race

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Netanyahu rival drops out of Likud leadership race
Former Health Minister Yuli Edelstein quits Likud leadership challenge against Netanyahu, vows to back Netanyahu.
Israel National News

Former Israeli Health Minister MK Yuli Edelstein has quit the Likud leadership race, withdrawing his bid to challenge Opposition Leader Benjamin Netanyahu for control of the Knesset’s largest faction. Edelstein announced he was leaving the race Thursday night, after it became clear he was unlikely to defeat the incumbent party chairman ahead of the November 1st Knesset election.

“When we face an election critical for the State of Israel, I cannot drag the Likud movement into an internecine conflict,” said Edelstein. “Therefore I have decided to remove my candidacy for party chairman in the upcoming election.”

more.............. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/355809

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Edelstein, who said Netanyahu can’t win, abandons Likud leadership challenge
Facing a ‘critical election for the State of Israel, I cannot drag Likud into an internal fight,’ says senior party MK following Knesset dispersal
By TOI staff
30 June 2022

Likud MK Yuli Edelstein has walked back an earlier promise to run against Likud chairman Benjamin Netanyahu for the leadership of the party. “Wherever I went, I have always put the Likud movement first,” Edelstein said in a statement on Thursday. “Now, when we face a critical election for the State of Israel, I cannot drag Likud into an internal fight, and I have therefore decided to retract my candidacy for the party chairmanship in the upcoming election.”

Edelstein, a former health minister and former Knesset speaker, said that his decision — hours after the Knesset officially dispersed ahead of the next election — “stems from a will to unite and win. In this election, we will make a change and act differently,” he added. “Together with Likud chairman Benjamin Netanyahu, I will lead to the national camp’s victory in the elections and to the formation of a full right-wing government.” Just a month ago, as the cracks in the outgoing government were deepening, Edelstein explicitly called to hold a leadership challenge to Netanyahu if the opposition leader failed to form a government in the current Knesset.

more............. https://www.timesofisrael.com/edels...-to-challenge-netanyahu-for-likud-leadership/