Netanyahu: I'm 'taking over' judicial reform despite conflict of interest

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Netanyahu: I'm 'taking over' judicial reform despite conflict of interest
Gallant canceled a planned statement calling for a halt to the judicial reform after he was summoned to the Prime Minister's Office.
By ELIAV BREUER, YONAH JEREMY BOB, JERUSALEM POST STAFF

The coalition will not freeze its "softened" proposal to restructure the Judicial Selection Committee, but will do all it can to arrive at a solution and calm tensions on the streets, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a press conference on Thursday at the end of a dramatic day, which included security warnings against the reform, a "Day of Paralysis" and political drama.

After explaining the concerns of both the supporters and detractors of the reform, the prime minister stated that his government was "determined to advance with responsibility a reform that will bring back the proper balance between the branches [of government]," which will provide a solution for all of the sides involved.

The reform will end decades of what the prime minister said was the High Court of Justice taking authorities unilaterally and end the lack of proper representation amongst the judges, but will also promise and fortify the rights of all citizens and minorities, the prime minister said.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-735218

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Netanyahu: Until today my hands were tied on judicial reform dispute
Prime Minister delivers address to the nation on the judicial reforms, says the reforms will not be shelved as he seeks a compromise.
Israel National News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu delivered an address to the nation this evening (Thursday) on the government's planned judicial reforms. The address follows Netanyahu's meeting with Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, who called for the judicial reform bills to be frozen until the next Knesset session.

"Citizens of Israel, a few months ago, as soon as the election results were announced, I said, 'I intend to be the prime minister of all the citizens of Israel,' I meant it then and I mean it today," Netanyahu said at the beginning of his speech. "We have one country and we must do everything to protect it from external threats and from an irreconcilable rift from within. We cannot allow any dispute, no matter how acute, to endanger our shared future."

more............. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/369152

Back