Netanyahu assails ‘atrocious’ state budget; Lapid predicts it’ll pass in Knesset

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Netanyahu assails ‘atrocious’ state budget; Lapid predicts it’ll pass in Knesset
Opposition leader claims budget ‘full of economic cuts, tax and price increases,’ vows to block it; Yesh Atid chief says government may seek support of parties outside coalition
By Raoul Wootliff
2 August 2021

After the cabinet voted to approve a national budget for the first time in three years, Opposition Leader Benjamin Netanyahu assailed the spending plan Monday, saying it was the worst he had ever seen and vowing to block its passage in the Knesset. “I have passed many budgets in my time but I have never seen such an atrocious budget before,” Netanyahu told reporters at the opening of his Likud party faction meeting in the Knesset.

“It is full of economic cuts, tax and price increases. Instead of lowering taxes and making it easier for Israeli citizens, they are raising taxes and prices and harming Israeli citizens,” he claimed. “Why do Israeli citizens need to pay the price so the government can pay NIS 53 billion to MK Mansour Abbas?” the former prime minister added, referring to budgets for the Arab Israeli community promised to the head of the coalition’s Ra’am party. Netanyahu said he would “leave no stone unturned” in his bid to block to budget from passing in the Knesset, a move that would automatically bring down the government and force new elections.

more............. https://www.timesofisrael.com/netan...e-budget-lapid-predicts-itll-pass-in-knesset/