Need some help with an elderly person . . .

Raynbowz

I work at a Personal Care Home, and was leading a lady resident to Jesus. I didn’t want to make her uncomfortable admitting personal things in front of me, so I just told her she needed to repent and ask Jesus into her life, then said I would talk to her in the morning and see how things went. My question is: what do I do next if she did get saved? She is able to use an iPad in a limited way, so I know I could find a Bible-reading site, but what else? She is probably in her 90’s, but does have some family. Also, if the opportunity is open again that I can lead another resident to the Lord, do I make them do it in front of me, or can I do like I did this time and let them “do it themselves”? Please let me know what the next steps should be.
Thanks!
Raynbowz

mattfivefour

Salvation is a personal thing between an individual and God. There is no need for a third person to be present. Many people have been truly saved just sitting all alone somewhere. It is nice to be there when you lead someone to the Lord and walk them through their moment of surrender, but it is not necessary. Some people need to be alone: the Holy Spirit will direct you as to what to do. However, once a person has trusted Christ for their salvation it is crucial to begin the process of instructing them in what has happened and where they go from here. After all, our responsibility to the new believer is to begin the process of discipling them.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
That's wonderful news Raynbowz! And :welcome to R.F. :)

As far as bible reading, is there a site that could read the bible to her? Or, perhaps you could spend a few moments with some select passages to help her understand what her salvation now means for her, explaining that while her salvation is permanent she's going to have some times where she knows that she has sinned. She'll need to know that she simply needs to go to the Lord for forgiveness and that because of Jesus Christ's Work on the cross that covers all her sins, past, present and future.

But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.
1 John 1:9.

Explain to her that God is just because Jesus paid it all. This will help her to have that continued assurance of Salvation knowing this.

You also might go over the concepts of salvation, sanctification and glorification. She's saved for all eternity through dependent faith in Jesus (salvation), God is going to start growing her in Christ, work to have Christ emerge in her life and become more Christlike (sanctification, and no matter the difficulties, God's love is always there for her) and that when she passes from here in death, she will then be shed of this body of death we all have, to be with the Lord forever (Glorification).

These might be some good concepts to go over. :)

I'll be :pray ing.

:pray

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
For one who's reading the bible to understand more about God and how to be saved, the book of John is a great book to direct people to.

John 6:27-29 is a good passage to read to her, where Jesus Christ lays out clearly all that's needed for salvation, belief in Him:

[Jesus said] But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”

They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”

Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.

Perhaps share with her that Jesus did all the work for her on the cross, she just needs to repent (change her mind about sin) and put her trusting faith in Him and His work for her.

Hope that helps. :)