Nashville church says "Bible isn't the Word of God, inerrant or infallible."

BlessedAssurance

A progressive Nashville church has drawn the ire of the internet after sharing a message on social media declaring the Bible isn’t the Word of God, inerrant or infallible.
---------------------

Two Sundays ago, GracePointe Church, led by Pastor Josh Scott, shared a recap of the day's message on Facebook, discussing the Bible and the question: "What is Progressive Christianity?"

“As Progressive Christians, we're open to the tensions and inconsistencies in the Bible. We know that it can't live up to impossible, modern standards. We strive to more clearly articulate what Scripture is and isn't,” the church noted before stating what the Bible is and isn’t.

"The Bible," the church said, "isn’t: the Word of God, self-interpreting, a science book, an answer/rule book, inerrant or infallible." Rather, it is: "a product of community, a library of texts, multi-vocal, a human response to God, living and dynamic."

As of Wednesday evening, the post had attracted more than 1,200 emoji reactions along with 1,800 comments. Of the 1,200 emojis, more than half were angry faces, just over 300 were laughing emojis while more than 100 were sad faces. Just 157 reactions approved of the post.

When asked about the reactions to his sermon and if he felt it was a good conversation to start online, Scott, who grew up Southern Baptist, told The Christian Post in an interview that he believes it is a necessary one to have.

“You know, my intent really was, this is a conversation that we’re having in our community. So yeah, I do think it’s a good conversation and I think it’s a conversation that needs to happen within that sort of the broader Christian culture,” he said.

“I think we definitely have a tendency to treat the Bible almost as an idol. And in doing so, we fail, I think, to see the real call, which is never for us just to read something but always for us to read it, wrestle with it and then embody the rest of it the way we live our lives in the world,” he explained.

“If there are any sort of conversations that are off limits in the Christian tradition then it probably just means we are afraid of them. We’re probably afraid to engage them because we are afraid of being labeled heretics, we’re afraid of people saying hateful things. In reality, these are important conversations. So yeah, I feel like it’s something that needs to be talked about."

In explaining his statement that the Bible can’t live up to modern standards, Scott noted that the problem isn’t “the fault of the Bible.”

“That’s our fault. I’m not saying the Bible has some sort of flaw in it,” he said.

“I think one of the greatest challenges that happens with the Bible is we bring expectations to it that it just isn’t intended to bear and can’t bear. Because if we go to the Bible and we’re looking for really up to date information on how the cosmos works, we’re not going to find it because I don’t think the Bible is a book trying to tell how things change. I think the Bible is trying to say to us why. The Bible isn’t necessarily the source of the how, the Bible is the source of why do we exist, why is there a world, what does it mean to be a human being in the world, how do we live our lives in the best way possible. I think those are more of the questions the Bible is trying to get at.”

While his church has been “completely shocked” by the reactions to the message, Scott said he wants people to see the Bible in a fresh light.

“I actually want to try to help people hear the story of the Bible, hear the stories and letters and poems in a fresh way, but a way that honors where that came from and the people that produced it,” he noted, while arguing that while parts of the Bible can be considered the “Word of God,” not all of it is.

He pointed to Old Testament prophets like Amos and Jeremiah who would preface messages from God with “the Lord came to Amos, or the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah.”

“There is stuff in there (Bible) that I think really goes against the character of God. There are genocides that have been divinely sanctioned in the Bible. People have used the text in the Bible, plain readings of the text at times to support white supremacy, to defend slavery, to defend segregation,” he noted. “Saying the Bible is inerrant and infallible, it absolves us of our responsibility to do what our ancestors did, which is to wrestle.”

**Source: https://www.christianpost.com/news/nashville-church-says-bible-isnt-the-word-of-god.html

Note: Also listed on GracePointe church's website is this statement:

"GracePointe has led the way in full inclusiveness of the LGBTQ+ community. We are more than "welcoming", we affirm and celebrate. We go beyond "allowing" LGBTQ+ individuals in membership and leadership: We love and depend on one another without any distinction. Many of our staff and community leadership are members of the LGBTQ+ community.

Our conviction for inclusiveness is not based on specific loopholes or interpretations of ancient text, but rather through a fresh, humble, and intellectually honest recognition of both our flawed history and our capacity to continually grow in our understanding of our world, of ourselves, and of God."

================

I was in such shock after reading this article and researching more about this church's beliefs. Churches like these are confusing their congregations about God's Holy Word, which does NOT change over time.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings." (Hebrews 13:8-9)

They are leading people astray. It's so very sad to see, but scripture does warn us about this in the last days. :( We must pray for people's eyes to be opened before it is too late.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
"The Bible," the church said, "isn’t: the Word of God, self-interpreting, a science book, an answer/rule book, inerrant or infallible." Rather, it is: "a product of community, a library of texts, multi-vocal, a human response to God, living and dynamic."
Neither are they the Church of Christ Jesus.

Mt:1618 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Rather, it is... a human response to God

What would they know of God without the Bible?
Ans: Their own imaginations pretending they are God yet they become fools.

Neonap

If that's the case then they are not a church. They have fallen into apostasy, and God's Word stands above man's mere opinion. How can you call yourself a christian and deny the fact that God is the author of the bible? Let God be true and every man a liar. The truth is not in that "church".

Neonap

Exactly. "Many will come in My name saying... "

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Timothy 4:3-4

False teachers roaming in that church for sure. Progressive Christianity is definitely another gospel that is counterfeit to the true Gospel.

daygo

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Timothy 4:3-4

False teachers roaming in that church for sure. Progressive Christianity is definitely another gospel that is counterfeit to the true Gospel.
Spot on.

Neonap

Really, can it be any clearer how false this church is, and what a false teacher the “pastor“ is. Yet many, who will never read the bible, will sit in the pews, enjoying the tickling of their ears.

They are enjoying the tune of the snake we all know who that is. One way Satan can deceive people is to have them ignorant of the Scriptures or twist them to justify certain sins. It's all Snakespeak.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
How appropriate for the times...

2 Thessalonians 2:8-10 (KJV) And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

annieforjesus

This is a glaring example of apostasy, I think...it makes me realize there are so many churches and pastors are just as bad, they just conceal it better..that's why the Bible speaks so strongly against false teachers...the popular preachers that take verses out of context, expound on them and lead people to false conclusions..I don't know if there are so many more false teachers these days, or I just didn't know how to spot them in the past, but there are a lot of them..I was so shocked when I saw Franklin Graham telling people on FB to buy Robert Morris's book...( His friend, Robert Morris)flags go up.. doesn't he know Morris teaches false things? I know, everyone doesn't have to agree with me on things like this, but I just see a lot that I can't understand people doing., and saying they're Christians..I'm very sure Franklin is a Christian, but maybe making uninformed choices.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
“There is stuff in there (Bible) that I think really goes against the character of God. There are genocides that have been divinely sanctioned in the Bible. People have used the text in the Bible, plain readings of the text at times to support white supremacy, to defend slavery, to defend segregation,” he noted. “Saying the Bible is inerrant and infallible, it absolves us of our responsibility to do what our ancestors did, which is to wrestle.”

His twisted version of the character of God. If that were my church I'd never see the inside of it again.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
the Bible isn’t the Word of God, inerrant or infallible.
Well well well. Those are fighting words where I come from (Jude3). The bible is trust worthy because it is both Historically reliable and experientially proves to be Divine rather than human in origin. Jesus said in Matt.22...
31But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what God said to you: 32‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’d? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”

Great article from Answers In Genesis
https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-bible-true/and-god-said/

Last edited: