Nails

ChildofLight

Does anyone know what can do for bad finger nails? I’m on thyroid medication that is carefully monitored by doctor. I also take biotin 10,000 mcg which is supposed to help nails.
The nails split length of nail, they tear, they flake off in layers and I have no idea why. Quite often they tear down to the quick.
I wear leather gloves when doing farm work. I don’t keep my hands in water much. With everything I do I don’t really use nail polish cause it takes time and I just hate trying to keep up with all the time. No sooner I put polish on the next day it’s already peeling off.

Last edited:

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I think my nails actually do better with polish on them....how crazy is that??

I have heard of soaking nails in gelatin to help them get stronger but have never tried it.

I did use Sally Hanson miracle nail repair for a while when mine were shredded. It helped.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Usually when I post in the ladies section I don't realize it until later, but this time it's not by accident. For many years my wife bought and put on her nails some stuff that is put on horses hooves and she swore by it. I don't remember what it was called. I'll try to remember to ask her what the name of it was. She rubbed it on her nails every day. It'll be about 10 hours before she gets home. I'll send her a text and see if she responds, otherwise I'll probably forget about it before this evening...

ShilohRose

I can't keep nail polish on my nails either. It peels off very quickly, along with part of my nail. Like you, I take a Vitamin B supplement. I have also taken gelatin pills, and that helped. Keeping them moisturized helps, too. My nails and hands are very, very dry. My thumb splits sometimes where it meets my nail. I have to use hand cream-- not lotion-- every time my hands are in water or I wash my hands. One of the things that helps is Dior Abricot Nail Cream. (Yeah, apricot with a b.) It's very sticky, and putting that on my nails when I go to bed helps a lot. It would probably be better if I wore cotton gloves when I go to bed, but I can't tolerate socks or gloves to sleep in.

I forgot this: I wear rubber gloves when I clean using water and chemicals. Spraying with Windex or Pledge or something like that where my hands won't touch the chemical, I can skip the gloves.

Last edited:

ChildofLight

I can't keep nail polish on my nails either. It peels off very quickly, along with part of my nail. Like you, I take a Vitamin B supplement. I have also taken gelatin pills, and that helped. Keeping them moisturized helps, too. My nails and hands are very, very dry. My thumb splits sometimes where it meets my nail. I have to use hand cream-- not lotion-- every time my hands are in water or I wash my hands. One of the things that helps is Dior Abricot Nail Cream. (Yeah, apricot with a b.) It's very sticky, and putting that on my nails when I go to bed helps a lot. It would probably be better if I wore cotton gloves when I go to bed, but I can't tolerate socks or gloves to sleep in.

I forgot this: I wear rubber gloves when I clean using water and chemicals. Spraying with Windex or Pledge or something like that where my hands won't touch the chemical, I can skip the gloves.
I use hardly any chemicals at all. Dryness may be the problem as my skin is very dry and slather Vaseline on my legs after sheer every day. Problem with thumb splitting but it’s because I cut it so short because of broken nail.

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
My hands are super dry in the winter. Sometimes my fingers split and crack at the tips. I’ve tried everything, but the only thing that works for me is Gold Bond Healing Lotion. You can find it anywhere.

For my nails and cuticles, I use CND Solar Oil Nail and Cuticle Care. It looks like a bottle of clear nail polish, and you just paint it on your nails and cuticles. I let it sit there for awhile before rubbing it in. I see it’s $8.50 on Amazon right now, and they sell it at Ulta and other places.

amystery

Wearing polish, even if it’s clear, is the best thing you can do to keep your nails in good shape! That and using a good oil. I really like a site called Nail Care HQ. The lady that runs it has some great tips about how to prevent the problems your having! They suggest using their special nail oil on unpolished nails for 3 days and using a lot of it! I just make my own with jojoba oil and vitamin E. After the 3 days keep your nailed painted! if you have a hard time keeping polish in your nails use rubbing alcohol to wipe your nail (gets rid of oils) before you use a basecoat, the actual colored polish and a top coat... then continue to use the oil even over the polish and around your cuticle to continue to help keep your nails healthy and flexible, yet less likely to break or peel! Always wear gloves when washing dished or cleaning.
It’s a bit of a process and overwhelming to most, but it really works! My nails are one of my hobbies now and I enjoy taking care of them and painting them different colors!
Sorry to ramble, but I love nail related chat!

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
I have thyroid issues too. Make sure your numbers are good and get checked for an autoimmune issue like Hashimoto’s. Your nails are a signal that something is off.

I have found a gel nail polish lasts longer than other kinds of polish. I can get almost 2 weeks wear out of them. I do use a couple of base coats and tops coats as well.

Biotin really messed with my thyroid. It did that to my nails and made my hair thinner in the temple area. Thankfully, I have really thick hair and I was the only one who could see it. Everything improved onced I stopped using it.

I take hemp oil as an anti inflammatory and it makes mine grow strong and fast. You can buy it at any health food store.

Last edited:

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Wearing polish, even if it’s clear, is the best thing you can do to keep your nails in good shape! That and using a good oil. I really like a site called Nail Care HQ. The lady that runs it has some great tips about how to prevent the problems your having! They suggest using their special nail oil on unpolished nails for 3 days and using a lot of it! I just make my own with jojoba oil and vitamin E. After the 3 days keep your nailed painted! if you have a hard time keeping polish in your nails use rubbing alcohol to wipe your nail (gets rid of oils) before you use a basecoat, the actual colored polish and a top coat... then continue to use the oil even over the polish and around your cuticle to continue to help keep your nails healthy and flexible, yet less likely to break or peel! Always wear gloves when washing dished or cleaning.
It’s a bit of a process and overwhelming to most, but it really works! My nails are one of my hobbies now and I enjoy taking care of them and painting them different colors!
Sorry to ramble, but I love nail related chat!
Good to know. My cuticles are a mess

RobinB

My hands are super dry in the winter. Sometimes my fingers split and crack at the tips. I’ve tried everything, but the only thing that works for me is Gold Bond Healing Lotion. You can find it anywhere.

For my nails and cuticles, I use CND Solar Oil Nail and Cuticle Care. It looks like a bottle of clear nail polish, and you just paint it on your nails and cuticles. I let it sit there for awhile before rubbing it in. I see it’s $8.50 on Amazon right now, and they sell it at Ulta and other places.

Yes, I like Solar Oil too! And remember when your cuticles are soft, push them gently back off your nails (orangewood stick or plastic)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Thyroid issues can lead to calcium and vitamin D deficiencies. Nail issues are a symptom. What's going on with the nails can indicate what's going on in the bones. Please get your doc to check both, and watch carefully over time (forever). If the military and VA docs had done this starting decades ago, I could have avoided a lot of pain and misery, and I would be on one less prescription medication. Vitamin D acts like a hormone in the body, and thyroid problems can impair/interfere with absorption and/or use. Also be careful not to eat or drink dairy or take calcium supplements within 4 hours of your thyroid medication (before AND after), as it interferes with absorption and use. Vitamin D Council recommended minimum levels are higher than USRDA. Correcting a vitamin D deficiency/low level will help you feel a lot better, too. Research to determine lab tests, supplements, etc. before talking to your doc. Also ask about Lactaid/similar if you're lactose intolerant and have calcium issues . . .

Besides calcium and vitamin D, B complex and taurine are recommended by some for nails.

Not medical advice . . . :rolleyes

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I don't wear nail polish because it doesn't let the nails and nail beds breathe . . . if I want them to look nice, I buff them with a 4-sided buffer thingee. Shiny and they don't feel weird. And no chance of chipping, flaking, not matching clothes, etc., etc., etc. Best to do cuticles (hands and feet) after a nice hot shower. Revlon makes a very nice double-ended (rounded and flat) metal cuticle pusher. It's not the one they sell at Walmart (only online anymore), or the rounded end of the buffer thingee works (take care not to scrape the skin, though).

In all fairness, I've had to keep my nails very short since I was 7 :violin and also due to working with my hands in grease, oil, water, slush, mud, crud, etc.