Nails and Nail Salons

HisGloryIsPrecious

Do any of you ladies like having nice nails but can't stand nail salons? I have very small hands so I would kind of look ridiculous with long press on nails. Plus the fact that I don't have the best hand coordination to manage wearing them. If I try to paint my own nails, I make a mess and it looks very unprofessional. If I go to a nail salon, I don't have the patience to sit there and wait for my nails to dry. One time the store manager actually grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back into my chair, saying I had to stay there. Then he tried to give me a message and I had to tell him to please not touch me. Pedicures are even worse, you don't know how clean everything is. I go now to a podiatrist to get my toe nails clipped. But they grow so fast it can be a problem. My insurance only will pay for a couple of months at a time. Anyone else have these issues?

Leigh

I've never been to a nail salon. Once my husband gave me a gift certificate to a day spa where you got to choose two services, so I chose the massage and manicure. Another time I had a mani done at a cosmetology school, but those are the only outside manicures I've had. Never had a pedi either!

I keep my fingernails short to type and play the piano. I love the look of nail polish but don't use it often because (like you said) I'm not patient about letting it dry, then it always chips easily. I do keep my toenails polished and [hopefully!] pretty during sandal season.

I do think I would love that hand massage you mentioned!! :nod

Last edited:

HisGloryIsPrecious

I go from time to time. I love it because I can't cut my own cuticles and after they do it , my nails look so much better.

I also enjoy the pedi. I take good care of my hooves, but they still benefit from the soak, scrub, exfoliate that the professionals do.
I’m glad you have had a better experience than I’ve had. I think one important thing is to develop a relationship with whoever is providing the service. There is a language and cultural barrier with the people that work at the nail salons in that they are from Korea. I love my hair dresser though. She works out of her home and she is a riot.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I’m glad you have had a better experience than I’ve had. I think one important thing is to develop a relationship with whoever is providing the service. There is a language and cultural barrier with the people that work at the nail salons in that they are from Korea. I love my hair dresser though. She works out of her home and she is a riot.
I dont know what Nationality most if the nail salon people are....we have both men and women working in the salons. Definitely Oriental. I usually look at magazines or just sit back and listen to them chatter which is really entertaining in itself. I do sometimes wonder what they are saying. They sound so animated.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
I like keeping my fingernails short and unpolished. I'm a low maintenance gal! But I do love pedicures, although I'm concerned about the cleanliness of nail salons and contracting a fungal infection or worse...

VERY IMPORTANT: NEVER allow the cuticles of fingernails or toenails to be cut! Only allow them to be gently pushed back. Cuticles are there for a reason - to protect your nails. Cutting cuticles is a major risk for a very nasty infection.

RobinB

I get pedis regularly -- I have high arches and they ache a lot, so I enjoy the massage. I also have wide feet and though this is silly, I think they look a bit narrower when smooth and polished. However, I never go to these shopping center salons where you can't trust the cleanliness. These days, there are a lot of nail techs who rent a suite in a larger conglomeration of salon suites and are their own boss. My tech does this-- I am the only one there at my time and she cleans everything really well.

And thanks for the reminder, I need to make an appointment. :biggrin